Quantcast
Advice Needed - thoughts on selling stuff - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice Needed - thoughts on selling stuff
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Advice Needed - thoughts on selling stuff

Hi all, I appreciate any feedback from folks who've done this.

I'm am hobbyist with recording, and through the years I've tended to collect more gear for the "idea" of it, than I use it. I'll get really into music, then burnout, then get back into, etc. If I had a nice room and a regular band I'm sure I'd use it more, but I don't. I like the idea of having a nice recording setup, but in reality I'm more of a collector and tend to buy more than I need. So bottom line - I'm down-sizing and selling some stuff.

I've been selling some gear, amps, processors, instruments, etc - and I'm looking at my mic pres and I'm not sure how to progress. I have a Sytek 4 channel and 8 channels of Seventh Circle Audio (SCA) pres, and I'm thinking of selling both because I just don't record much, but part of me wonders if I'm going to regret doing so.

I'm also looking at trimming back my mics. Same thought there also. Have you ever sold your expensive mics and just used your cheaper (but decent) mics. Or did you regret not just keeping the best mics you had, even if you just kept a couple of them?

So - anybody out there ever sold some of your best equipment, and how did you feel about it? Is it one of those things that once it's gone you don't miss it - or are you constantly like "that was dumbest thing I ever did"? When I started out people always told me to buy good stuff and keep it, but I'm kindof at the point where I'm thinking of selling the good stuff.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just keep a couple of nice pieces. I've sold amps, guitars, preamps, to buy some nice acoustic guitars but totally regret selling the km84. Stupid move. Make sure you have at least one good recording path for when that time comes up again. Keep a good mic if you have one.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorbit ➑️
Just keep a couple of nice pieces. I've sold amps, guitars, preamps, to buy some nice acoustic guitars but totally regret selling the km84. Stupid move. Make sure you have at least one good recording path for when that time comes up again. Keep a good mic if you have one.
thanks for the feedback. Probably my favorite mic is a TLM103 and I'm pretty sure I'll keep at least one of them. It's very usable for what I do and I'm pretty sure I would miss it. thanks for that.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If you're not recording with it and it's worth some money, sell it.

A handful of cheap mikes I'd hang on to, a $1000 preamp I'd sell.
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
be sure of your decision. I had to sell a lot of great gear. I miss it everyday.
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It might help to check out what your gear is selling for on ebay or craigslist classifieds. Just doing that has caused me to alter which items I planned on selling. It really comes down to how much you value each piece of gear personally vs the market price IMO.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It is very freeing to clear out old gear and make way for new stuff, or even just to clear it out.

In all honesty (puts fire suit on) the differences between the modern low end stuff and high end stuff is negligible if you only record once in a while. Mic placement and good instruments/performances are all you need.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's all replaceable and most of it will be old hat and worthless anyway by the time you decide to really forget about it...after all it's just stuff not an investment.
I would sell it all and move on with your life and if you get the urge to get back into it you can spend the money on the more important things you've learned you need and get newer stuff that is vogue at that time. If you never get back to it all the better...
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's all replaceable and most of it will be old hat and worthless anyway by the time you decide to really forget about it...after all it's just stuff not an investment.
I would sell it all and move on with your life and if you get the urge to get back into it you can spend the money on the more important things you've learned you need and get newer stuff that is vogue at that time. If you never get back to it all the better...
πŸ“ Reply