# of outputs on audio interface - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
# of outputs on audio interface
Old 9th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
# of outputs on audio interface

Hi,

So I'm currently using a Tascam US 1641 with Cubase 7.5 and I've currently started using external effects.

The Tascam interface has 4 outputs however 2 are currently being used by Stereo Out which leaves me only with 2 output channels to use.

Is there a method to either increase the outputs or free up those 2 currently being used by Cubase? If not is there an audio interface that has up to 10 output channels thats around or under $600?

My plan is to run 2 compressors (4 channels), 2 SPX90 units and possibly 2 more effects.
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Scarlett 18i20 has 10 analog outs, then digital. Pretty sick. 500bucks.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just looking at the product picture, it seems to have 6 outs. The monitor outs should be line level, it just is controllable on the front, or that is what it looks like to me. Maybe I am missing something, or maybe you are already using them for monitors.

You could add 2 channels through digtal outs. You basically need a 2 channel D/A converter. It's likely that it's more worth your money to just upgrade.

Unfortunately, you somehow bought one of the few interfaces that has nowhere near as many outputs as inputs. Honestly, for most people they don't need the outs as much as the ins so I can see why they did it but it's uncommon.

I was strongly considering the Echo Audiofire 12. It won't work if you need preamps, not sure what you need on the input side but I like it because it is basically right in between a standalone converter and an interface. Just line ins, line outs, word clock and MIDI. Perfect if you don't need built in pre's.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

You could just get a patch bay if you do not want to buy another sound card/interface. You just use the patch bay to connect all your hardware gear and you use the outs, 3 and 4 to feed the patch pay.

CJ
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering ➑️
You could just get a patch bay if you do not want to buy another sound card/interface. You just use the patch bay to connect all your hardware gear and you use the outs, 3 and 4 to feed the patch pay.

CJ
That is true but you are limited to the 4 outs which can obviously be a pain if you want to do everything at once. Or if you are running full tracks, rather than loops, it can really take forever to get something done. I was going to suggest it but the time you add the patchbay, and the fact you have to basically double your cables and add patch cables, the price difference vs. functionality may not be justified for a 4 out interface, especially if he really only has 2 open of those 4.
Old 16th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree ➑️
That is true but you are limited to the 4 outs which can obviously be a pain if you want to do everything at once. Or if you are running full tracks, rather than loops, it can really take forever to get something done. I was going to suggest it but the time you add the patchbay, and the fact you have to basically double your cables and add patch cables, the price difference vs. functionality may not be justified for a 4 out interface, especially if he really only has 2 open of those 4.
I actually have a large amount of cables already so I am considering the patch bay however I'm going to research more about it before I make my decision.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnaggletoothR ➑️
I actually have a large amount of cables already so I am considering the patch bay however I'm going to research more about it before I make my decision.
I know my post may not read that way but I highly suggest seeing if a patch bay is right for you. Even if you upgrade to more ins on your interface, it really does make your setup far more flexible. I would consider doing both. Even for myself, I bought one, thinking I may use half the the patch points but I quickly have maxed out my first. Some of it is redundant but it makes life easier. I may add 2 more rather than one more to split everything up so if I expand more, the "infrastructure" is already in place.

Again, I would consider a larger interface, ether on it's own, or paired with a patchbay. It may be easier to get started and understand it with a smaller setup so it may be nice to do it first.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks to me like it has 6 analog and 2 digital out, all the analog are TRS balanced. If your using all of the analog outs you just need to add a SPDIF or AES/ABU converter box for additional in/out. If memory serves me correctly both SPDIF and AES/ABU formats are 2 channels.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Maybe the Echo Audiofire is something for you. Question is if it'll work nicely with your Tascam.

Dutchy
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy15 ➑️
Maybe the Echo Audiofire is something for you. Question is if it'll work nicely with your Tascam.

Dutchy
Thanks for mentioning this it seems like a great product I'm going to see if its compatible with my system
πŸ“ Reply