Quantcast
Should I get a sub for rock music? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I get a sub for rock music?
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Should I get a sub for rock music?

I mix rock music at my house with decent sized rooms. I have been using a pair of Event tr5 for years. I feel like I can't judge the lows so mixing takes longer. I'm in and out of headphones and cars. Like painting with bad glasses.

I'm thinking about adding the KRK 10S subwoofer with crossover to be able to hear what I cannot. Is that what a sub is for? Or is it more for just hearing the ultra lows for hip hop and electronica?

I'm hoping that it will be like having bigger speakers, or be more like listening in a car. Am I thinking about this correctly?
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Treat your room.

Using a sub with mixing rock will make your mixes thin everywhere else.

You have speakers that are capable, so the room is the missing link here.

Take that money and get bass traps instead. The 244 panels from GIK are priced very well and do a great job.

Jim
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well said, Jim. Though, more and more the rock mixes are pumping those sub frequencies. I agree that treating is most important, but maybe after that, slowly transitioning into using a sub could also be beneficial.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I hear what you're saying and am now leaning towards not getting one.

This particular "sub" has a crossover that goes up to like 130hz, so would that still be classified as "sub" frequencies? Or just trying to emulate a bigger pair of speakers?
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkSaunders ➑️
I hear what you're saying and am now leaning towards not getting one.

This particular "sub" has a crossover that goes up to like 130hz, so would that still be classified as "sub" frequencies? Or just trying to emulate a bigger pair of speakers?
I will be honest KRK is complete crap and gets about as much respect as behinger, and for good reason.

Now to actually answer the question.

All you are really doing is setting the sub speaker to "kick in" starting at that frequency and start handling the low end from there down.

Having a sub will not "emulate" having bigger speakers, it will just handle the lower frequency range instead of your speakers. Subs can also help overcome some room issues, but only if you have more than one sub and you place them correctly to help with room modes.

Jim
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I believe I shall go with your recommendation of spending my money on room treatment first. Thanks for the insight.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I mix A LOT of rock music, and I depend on my sub to make sure my low frequencies are all playing well together. I set my crossover to 80hz. But, the room needs to be treated (some is better than none)...
πŸ“ Reply