1 Thousand bucks to blow - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1 Thousand bucks to blow
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
1 Thousand bucks to blow

Sup slutz,
So i have a couple of synths im going to sell. mainly because i just didnt like the sounds they were producing. They are a Roland sh-01 gaia. and a korg R3.
They just sound far too digital to me.

Anyway, ill have close to 1000 to spend on a new synth. preferably analog.
I've been looking at a few in the price range thinking maybe i can pick up 2 smaller ones or something. Mainly im looking for 2 types of synthesis here, one being a really gritty and dirty synth. one that can produce similar style screeches from Daft Punk's Rollin and Scratchin etc.. And the other being a somewhat lighter synth good for arps, deadmau5 style leads and whatnot.

Keep in mind these are AUS prices but these are a few of the ones ive looked at.

ARTURIA MINIBRUTE - $649.00
KORG MS20 - $749.00 (i like this one because im not diverse into patching but id love to learn)
MOOG SUB PHATTY - $899.00 (on sale)

Most of the other stuff ive seen involves too much menu diving. I like everything laid out infront of me that dont have double functions and stuff.
Also, i'd much rather something thats either desktop or rackmount for the simple fact that i hate keyboards and do most stuff via midi.
But im thinking of picking up a midi keyboard either way to control some analog stuff.

Anyway, It would be great if i could get some suggestions in here on some decent (preferably analogue but not limited to) synths around that price range.

Cheers guys.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've got the Sub Phatty and the MS20, and used to have the Minibrute (sold it to fund something else but miss it)
All of these are excellent synths, which each sound very different so there is lots of diversity.
My favourite is probably the MS20, as it can produce a massive amount of different sounds, and has a big personality. (It was also used on the lead for "Da funk")
The Sub Phatty probably has the nicest tone, but is a bit limited in sound diversity I think. One big plus is that it can save patches, which is great, and the other two can't.
The Minibrute is a cool little analog monster, and can sound both nice or nasty.
If you go secondhand, you should be able to squeeze in two of these for around 1K.
They are all pretty new, so they should be mint.
📝 Reply