Quantcast
AT-4041 or AT-4021? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AT-4041 or AT-4021?
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AT-4041 or AT-4021?

Hi, I can get a good deal on these mics so I ask for experiences with either or both. The main use would be recording acoustic guitars. Likely scenario would be one of these pencils with a ribbon mic. Another possibility is soon after buy another(either one) Building my mic locker and it is kind of specialized. SM7b for my vox, Heil PR-30 for guitar cabs but will try a ribbon soon for that as well. Ribbon might work for vox. I have access to several LCD's as well I have searched and read threads here about these 2 AT sdc's but wonder if anyone has tried both on acoustic guitars and would share thoughts and experiences. Thanks
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I've only used a 4021 in a couple of sessions in a professional isolated room and thought it was ok. But the 4041 is really remarkable IMO. It handles transients super-fast, has incredible clarity, and makes you feel like you're right there in the room with the instrument and artist.

Aside from the mics electronics, the mechanical design is really unique with the capsule being fully forward and the edge of the capsule housing being beveled. The wide side vents are key also, kinda like the KM84.

Some people say the 4041 is too bright. It's definitely bright but in a glowing, excited way IMO and the high's are not brittle at all IMO. It's a damn good mic for acoustic instruments and woodwinds. Detail, detail, detail is what you get with the 4041 especially when amp'd by a decent pre that powers the mic to full spec.

The 4021 has comparable side venting but no beveled capsule housing. Makes a difference in what you capture.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets ➡️
I've only used a 4021 in a couple of sessions in a professional isolated room and thought it was ok. But the 4041 is really remarkable IMO. It handles transients super-fast, has incredible clarity, and makes you feel like you're right there in the room with the instrument and artist.

Aside from the mics electronics, the mechanical design is really unique with the capsule being fully forward and the edge of the capsule housing being beveled. The wide side vents are key also, kinda like the KM84.

Some people say the 4041 is too bright. It's definitely bright but in a glowing, excited way IMO and the high's are not brittle at all IMO. It's a damn good mic for acoustic instruments and woodwinds. Detail, detail, detail is what you get with the 4041 especially when amp'd by a decent pre that powers the mic to full spec.

The 4021 has comparable side venting but no beveled capsule housing. Makes a difference in what you capture.
Thanks for great detailed reply. This is the kind of hands on share I am looking for. So in these instances was the mic(s) the only one used? I have researched the 4041 longer and it was just early today I discovered they make a 4021 and started googling. From what you described seems like the 4041 is more of what I am after
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
4041's are also excellent for overheads , hat and ride mics . I find I never have to add any top end to the overheads when I mix . Brilliant sounding mics .
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska ➡️
Thanks for great detailed reply. This is the kind of hands on share I am looking for. So in these instances was the mic(s) the only one used? I have researched the 4041 longer and it was just early today I discovered they make a 4021 and started googling. From what you described seems like the 4041 is more of what I am after
When I used the 4021 it was only a single 4021.

The 4041 I used in my home studio for a few years. The only reason I sold it was to help finance a big new purchase. Didn't want to sell it but I was upgrading and had to make some really tough decisions.
📝 Reply