Get FAT & BIGGER sound! with this gear
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Get FAT & BIGGER sound! with this gear

Hi guys!

I just bought a preamp AVALON 737, i have a Konnect 8 as interface
and a tlm103 as microphone

I just need to know if its possible with this gear get a real professional sound or for example something im trying to look for that is this kind of sound:

TY !
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is absolutely possible.

The question is .....

Does the person in front of the mic have the "real professional sound" coming out of their mouth?

If not, no amount of toys will get you there. Sorry.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Well i think yes, look this is how he sing

he record that on other studio! so what i need to know is if i need to get more fatter sound a analog compressor for mastering or something please tell me
or with my gear + some vst will sound bigger
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It will help if you can post a sample of them singing through your setup. Otherwise were just guessing.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My question is not about the "Voice" is more about the whole song... that if i can get a PROFESSIONAL sound with that gear i just bought!
or i need to buy more things as a Analog compresor or something like that

ty!
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I am going to be blunt. I am not trying to be jerk, just being honest.

The gear is capable of anything you can throw at it.

The real question is, do you as an engineer know how to achieve that sound.

If you are not sure, then I will say learn your gear and know your skills.

No gear gets you "the sound" you and your ears do. If you can't get what you are after, then there are other ways to do it ITB, or OTB.

You don't need other gear, be creative.

Jim
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just bought a preamp AVALON 737, i have a Konnect 8 as interface
and a tlm103 as microphone

I just need to know if its possible with this gear get a real professional sound or for example something im trying to look for that is this kind of sound:
Well you can get 'professional sound' with a pre-amp that cost $100 and a sound card that cost $99. so to answer your question, yes its possible, but the gear doesn't make it sound professional, so do not get caught up in thinking gear is the answer.

CJ
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OP,

Don't be fooled, however. Nice microphones and preamps do add something nice to the sonics that you can't get with cheap junk. There's a reason why pro studios aren't using MXL 990's to record vocals. I don't know if there's anyway in heck a pro engineer could simulate that warm, lush sound you get with say, a U47 type of mic or a Neve preamp. Yes, you do have to have skills as an engineer and musician, that's a given. But let's not create a strawman argument. Has come every time anybody asks about adding nice gear to improve his sound everybody jumps in says "forget about it, you need to be a better engineer"? Good gear does matter. Now when i say "good", that doesn't necessarily equate to expensive. Do your homework. Excellent gear can be acquired for cheap these days.

You need good gear, a good room, good musicians, good songs and a good engineer. You need all 5 things. I don't think I'd want to sacrifice any of these ingredients. But that's just me.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman ➑️
I am going to be blunt. I am not trying to be jerk, just being honest.

The gear is capable of anything you can throw at it.

The real question is, do you as an engineer know how to achieve that sound.

If you are not sure, then I will say learn your gear and know your skills.

No gear gets you "the sound" you and your ears do. If you can't get what you are after, then there are other ways to do it ITB, or OTB.

You don't need other gear, be creative.

Jim
Truer words never spoke .........good post
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 ➑️
OP,

Don't be fooled, however. Nice microphones and preamps do add something nice to the sonics that you can't get with cheap junk. There's a reason why pro studios aren't using MXL 990's to record vocals. I don't know if there's anyway in heck a pro engineer could simulate that warm, lush sound you get with say, a U47 type of mic or a Neve preamp. Yes, you do have to have skills as an engineer and musician, that's a given. But let's not create a strawman argument. Has come every time anybody asks about adding nice gear to improve his sound everybody jumps in says "forget about it, you need to be a better engineer"? Good gear does matter. Now when i say "good", that doesn't necessarily equate to expensive. Do your homework. Excellent gear can be acquired for cheap these days.

You need good gear, a good room, good musicians, good songs and a good engineer. You need all 5 things. I don't think I'd want to sacrifice any of these ingredients. But that's just me.
But you are making a useless point, as the gear the OP has is great gear and understanding mic placement, gain staging, proper eq, and a little compression, what he wants is completely possible.

The stupid thing to do is go spend 3k on a mic that you can't use properly. That is an exersize in frustration. Learn your gear improve your skills and when, and only when, the gear holds you back, should you "upgrade".

I get gear lust, but that is a whole different subject from the OPs question.

Pro or amature, great recordings are possible with little gear, creativity, and not being afraid to try and learn from a mistake, is how you learn to do it.

Jim
πŸ“ Reply