Newbie Home Studio Upgrade Help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Newbie Home Studio Upgrade Help
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Newbie Home Studio Upgrade Help

Hi everyone!

I am new to recording and have a limited budget so I am afraid of spending money in the wrong places as I upgrade. And most importantly, I don't really know what I'm doing yet or what pieces of gear will give me the most bang for my buck so I am hoping some of you pros out there can point me in the right direction.

Goals:
I would like to be able to make a decent demo quality recording in the short term, and eventually grow into a setup that I could start a semi professional project at home. I plan on recording guitars, bass, and vocals; mostly metal/hard rock

Current Gear (I am going to include everything as I'm not sure what information is most relevant):

Avid Mbox 3 mini with pro tools express
M-Audio AV 40 Monitor Speakers
Sony MDR7506 Headphones
GLS Audio ES-57 Microphone
AKAI LPK25 laptop keyboard
LiveWire 1/4" 12 gauge speaker cables
Monster Cable 1/4" Straight Instrument Cables
Dell XP Laptop

I also have a Laney IRT15H that has a DI socket which will be my main recording amp until I get some sound proofing done; not sure if that makes a difference on recording gear choice.

Budget:

I'm planning on investing 200-300 bucks a month for the foreseeable future.

I will be upgrading to a mac mini within the next month or so and I would like to stick with pro tools as I eventually want to start working with the full version.
Other than that I'm not really married to anything, but I just don't know where I should start upgrading.

Should I get an external preamp? I need a condenser mic for vocals (I think), but with the Mbox mini is there a ceiling to what kind of sound I can get even with a mid range mic? Do I need something with more than one recording channel?

I have found a lot of info on what specific gear is better for this or that, but i'm having trouble tying it all together and figuring out what is more important than what.

Any and all advice/feedback is welcome; thanks for taking the time to read my newbie post.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I would first get decent speakers, JBL Lsr 305
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thanks mirka, I will check out the speakers
๐Ÿ“ Reply