Quantcast
Finally bought an SM 57 after - how long??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Finally bought an SM 57 after - how long???
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Finally bought an SM 57 after - how long???

So far so good! (apart from it's first 2 scratches )

I actually bought it for live use (harmonica into amp), but out of necessity had to use it for vocal recordings the other day (into a cheapo Focusrite Scarlett). I really like it on my voice. I like the rolled-off tightness of the bass freqs on vocals.

It sounds fairly silky on my voice, but as you all know it can sound gnarly on the wrong voice. All in all, a positive experience, even with the original transformer into a low budget mic pre.

I'm digging the lack of self-noise too!
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Good to hear you're happy with your mic. I got rid of all my 57's a couple years back in favor of EV308's. I really did not care for them but many people do.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah without a doubt I've used better dynamics, but this works a treat!
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'd used a lot of mics before one day being stuck in front of a church with nothing but an SM57. And I couldn't believe it, but I thought it sounded GREAT on me! Since then, it's my preferred live vocal mic for myself. I now own five of them to use in my home studio. Sometimes I like it on acoustic guitar. They live on my snare & toms. Cool room mic down the hall, too. Reminds my of my SM7 tone-wise, not as smooth or detailed, though. Of course, that may be exactly what you need. Also, it's a bunch smaller than the SM7. Great value!
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️
(apart from it's first 2 scratches )
No matter what you may have heard....it is not the best tool for hammering in a nail.

I prefer the 58 for live harmonica work.....just feels better.

Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny ➑️
No matter what you may have heard....it is not the best tool for hammering in a nail.

I prefer the 58 for live harmonica work.....just feels better.

Interesting... I find the 58's ball shaped head grille gets in the way, especially if I use cupping technique, which I mainly use as I get a beefier tone.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is exactly that cupping that I need. I like the way I can wrap my hand around the 58 and hold the mic in a solid position so that when I move the harp/hand/mic, that relationship does not waiver.

I need the harp to be glued to that grille for that controlled beef.

When I use a 57 I find that the mic moves independent of the harp and I can't keep it in that perfect spot.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Salami ➑️
I got rid of all my 57's a couple years back in favor of EV308's.
I've got a 408 I really like here too. Wish I had more. Any of you guys who haven't already should try to check out that Prodipe TT-1 thing if you get a chance. It's got a nice thick clear sound which seems to be in the SM5x range quality-wise. It's the first cheaper dynamic I've heard that I could say that about (I'm a big 57 fan too).

George
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➑️
Interesting... I find the 58's ball shaped head grille gets in the way, especially if I use cupping technique, which I mainly use as I get a beefier tone.
EV 967 has a very flat face.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Recently my friend has made some incredible sounding acoustic gtr/vocal recordings with a 57 and a digi oo2. Respect the 57
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The way I see it there are usually better mics for any particular purpose than a 57, but if you can't get at least a usable sound out of it for almost any situation the problem doesn't lie with the mic.
πŸ“ Reply