Quantcast
Tested cheap A/D spdif converter for iPad recording - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tested cheap A/D spdif converter for iPad recording
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Tested cheap A/D spdif converter for iPad recording

Hello, just posting this for anyone in the same situation. I ran out of inputs in my MOTU ultralite mk3 interface and decided I'd try and find something to make use of the spdif inputs so I could run the iPad audio in as another external sound source. I'd previously recorded the iPad direct into analog inputs via a mini jack to 1/4 splitter & it sounded OK but not that great.

So I decided to give Analog to Digital Audio Converter a go not knowing if it would work at all, but willing to risk it for $60. The sound quality out of synths like Nave and Animoog is dramatically better, clean, clear and detailed. Amazing for the price.

the unit seems to output only 24bit 48khz which is luckily what my MOTU wants. I know there is a camera connector solution for this problem but this lets you keep the iPad powered and gives you the flexibility of using the spdif input for something else as well.

Chris
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
I don't understand how this would work? The iPad is spitting out 16bit audio with its not fantastic converters - then this device converts that into a 24bit signal (of a 16bit recording), so surely the quality won't be any higher?

Or is it doing something that I'm not aware of, like somehow bypassing the converters in the iPad?
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yes, the iPad audio is what it is and the spdif convertor is just digitizing the analogue output at 24bits. However it sounds dramatically night & day better than just running the analog outputs straight into the interface. This was primarily a cheap way to use the spdif inputs on the MOTU to get a bit more value out of that. Though the resulting sound quality of the incoming iPad especially in very digital sounding things like the Wolfgang Palm apps has meant I can use them prominently in a mix rather than burying them as background pads, etc as I was.
๐Ÿ“ Reply