My DIY monitor stands - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My DIY monitor stands
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
My DIY monitor stands

Hi Guys and Gals,

I've got a big cheesy smile on my face right now as my Focal Twins arrived yesterday and I am burning them in as I type this. I knew it would be a bit of a challenge to position them in my studio with my video monitor setup but I devised a solution and I'm kind of proud. I bought, along with the Twins, the Isoacoustic isolation stands with are tilt-able but not height adjustable. Once they arrived, I did some measurements and set off to the local home improvement big box store. I think the pictures will show the rest of the story.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yryh7enz2h83hbn/-1J3KonyB-
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Nice work Eric
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Love that they just peek over the top of the screens. Nice work!
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
great job
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
They look great! Did you leave the stand hollow? Ideally you would fill the sections with sand and/or lead shot. This will make them sound much much better with much cleaner deeper bass, especially if you spike them into the floor.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Or fill the tubes with concrete. That might be a good choice.

Another thing that works well is to stack up cinder blocks. They do not look nearly as nice as you effort though.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
sand and/or lead shot is better than concrete. Plus 1 on the cinder blocks...
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yeah, they are hollow right now but they also open up on the top so I could indeed fill them if I wanted. That said, the Isoacoustics do a pretty incredible job of isolating them already. I can feel a very slight bit of vibration on my desktop right now when I push them up.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It's not just about isolation. Are all the sections open to each other and accessible from the openings in the top? If so, filling them with fine clean sand will make a bigger difference than you you might think.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That is brilliant, what a great concept. When I got my Trident HG-3s in, I looked around at various expensive monitor stand options. Luckily, a friend of mine is awesome at welding and had a bunch of scrap steel around. I bought him a 6 pack of beer and we were off to the races. Two cans of flat black spray paint, a 6 pack of Coors and a couple of hours later, we were done and monitors installed. I do like the look of your PVC design.

Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
From your picture, it looks like your design is pretty spindly. A broader, more supported design would be much more rigid in a way that you would hear, especially in the bass.
Old 18th April 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Good work!
Old 7th May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have a question about filling the legs. I just made a simple set of stands for my inexpensive monitors and wonder if filling the legs will make a noticeable difference? Also I used simple rubber feet and the isolation pads that came with the speakers. Is it really necessary to put better pads under the monitors?

My DIY monitor stands-stand-1.jpg
My DIY monitor stands-stand-2.jpg
My DIY monitor stands-stand-3.jpg
My DIY monitor stands-stand-4.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

Jones
Old 7th May 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Very cool man!!! I've been wanting to do something like that for years, right now I'm using a 30" by 42" drafting table that I've had for 25 years laid flat, with my Yammy S80 under it on an X stand just so the keys are sticking out, and have all the other stuff in my sig on it, including my Mini and BCR2000 and computer keyboard and mouse and monitor (a 19" Westinghouse that I've had for 10 years LOL) and I have my BX5a's on either side of it on stacks of phone books to raise them to ear level LOL. It's not pretty but it gets the job done! I really would kill for a dedicated music desk, but I can't afford one, and back when I could I could never justify it cuz the way I have it set up right now works for me perfectly...I have a cheap piano bench that I sit on, and luckily I'm able to have the keys at a height for decent enough posture for playing.
Old 7th May 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I really would like to build a whole new one out of plywood and 2x4's that really had the perfect dimensions for my rig and had platforms for my BX5a's...oh well, someday maybe...
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlierbeck ➑️
I have a question about filling the legs. I just made a simple set of stands for my inexpensive monitors and wonder if filling the legs will make a noticeable difference? Also I used simple rubber feet and the isolation pads that came with the speakers. Is it really necessary to put better pads under the monitors?

Attachment 397962
Attachment 397963
Attachment 397964
Attachment 397965

Thanks for any advice.

Jones
IME, rigidity is number one, and high mass can be helpful. That's why lead/sand filled iron is good. Wood is not so good, unless it is very very hard wood, and massive, such as big, laminated maple or harder.
πŸ“ Reply