Quantcast
Mic for a rapper with a harsh upper mid range? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic for a rapper with a harsh upper mid range?
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
  #31
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
+1 for the Rode M3. And for the price it's a steal
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
  #32
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
I would post another shoot out between an RE20 and RE320, but it would be on voice. The RE320 needs much less preamp gain, has a bit more air to the highs. I bought both last summer, ended up returning the RE20 for several reasons, the RE20 sounds like an AM broadcast mic (I've used these babies in many broadcast environments), the 320, more FM. The RE320 has more clean gain and if you dump the high end EQ, the 320 sounds exactly like the RE20, so at a $150.00 price difference, I kept the RE320. BTW, the RE20 has an HM2D darkness. Both mics are suppose to be killer on a kick drum, but again I use mine for Voice Over.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Fast_Fingers's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Gearzer ➑️
I would post another shoot out between an RE20 and RE320, but it would be on voice.
There is this one that has a RE20 and RE320...

Ultimate Podcast Microphone Shootout | recording hacks
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
  #34
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Have you tried an SM58? Sometimes, it's exactly what a harsh voice needs - even when budget isn't a concern.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I've already ordered the SM7b, it should be here Thursday. Can't wait to give it a try and see what all the hype is about! Hopefully I've made the right decision to compliment his voice. I've read a LOT of people saying they prefer the SM7b over any cheap condenser, so I'm hoping it really IS that solid on vocals.

I've also read that it's a mic that needs a fair amount of processing and doesn't exactly wow you on the raw tracks, so I'm not expecting to be blown away immediately. If not, I don't have a dynamic mic for my setup anyways, so I suppose it's a plus to have a good one! Still, I think it should do the trick for this particular voice at least. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated and let you know how it turned out.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
  #36
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 ➑️
I've already ordered the SM7b, it should be here Thursday. Can't wait to give it a try and see what all the hype is about! Hopefully I've made the right decision to compliment his voice. I've read a LOT of people saying they prefer the SM7b over any cheap condenser, so I'm hoping it really IS that solid on vocals.

I've also read that it's a mic that needs a fair amount of processing and doesn't exactly wow you on the raw tracks, so I'm not expecting to be blown away immediately. If not, I don't have a dynamic mic for my setup anyways, so I suppose it's a plus to have a good one! Still, I think it should do the trick for this particular voice at least. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated and let you know how it turned out.
Have fun with it, I personally sold 2 of them and never looked back. If it works for you, then great! I hope you have a decent preamp for it by the way.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
ISA One is the only outboard pre I have for it. Hopefully what I've read is true and they play well together.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #38
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
ISA One is a very good pre for the SM7b. Mess with the impedance controls and you will get the best sound from your Shure.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Whoops, Carmel already said that, sorry......
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #40
Here for the gear
 
goodmansound's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Given your budget you're options are somewhat limited. I would recommend a ribbon mic as they are typically slower and have a nice smooth response in the 2-6k range. Since this is not really an option for you I would just recommend an SM7. Great dynamic mic that can handle intense sound pressure with ease and CHEAP. Don't remember the last session I worked on where this mic wasn't employed somewhere. Absolutely will get your money's worth.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #41
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Well.. my sm7b came in today! I just threw it up for a quick test. I didn't buy it for my voice in particular anyways, but I wanted to get an idea of how it'd sound

My first impression was yuck... dark, boring, no detail. Then I engaged the bass roll-off and presence boost, and that made it a little better. Taking off the windscreen also made a positive improvement.

In order for me to get an acceptable sound, I had to back off the mic quite a bit. Way more than I thought I'd have to with a dynamic.

Once I did a little processing, I was satisfied with the sound. The loss of detail from condensers is definitely something that would take some getting used to. However, it really does sit well in a mix. It doesn't sound thin and plasticy like my AT4040. It does have a somewhat honky sound.

Anyways, those are just first impressions. When I record n mix a full song with it, maybe I'll post a sample
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
mahuska's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 ➑️
Well.. my sm7b came in today! I just threw it up for a quick test. I didn't buy it for my voice in particular anyways, but I wanted to get an idea of how it'd sound

My first impression was yuck... dark, boring, no detail. Then I engaged the bass roll-off and presence boost, and that made it a little better. Taking off the windscreen also made a positive improvement.

In order for me to get an acceptable sound, I had to back off the mic quite a bit. Way more than I thought I'd have to with a dynamic.

Once I did a little processing, I was satisfied with the sound. The loss of detail from condensers is definitely something that would take some getting used to. However, it really does sit well in a mix. It doesn't sound thin and plasticy like my AT4040. It does have a somewhat honky sound.

Anyways, those are just first impressions. When I record n mix a full song with it, maybe I'll post a sample
I got a feeling you will be coming back with some different impressions soon enough. Even more so when you get the best settings with your ISA ONE. Then bring on that problematic singer and lets see what happens
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #43
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I hope so! My voice is rather muddy naturally anyways, so I didn't expect this mic to be a perfect fit on myself. Still, once I backed off n processed the takes, it wasn't too bad.

I think it stacks really well too. Unfortunately, I was only able to experiment with distances, switches, and removing the windscreen. Didn't get to try the different impedances yet.

I tried it on the very highest impedance, which if I understand correctly, is the "brightest" setting? Anyways, I'm looking forward to testing it further.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #44
Gear Guru
Sell it!
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #45
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I'm really not fond of the SM7B's sound. Ran it through more tests today. It's OK. I can see how through really great pre's, pro engineers can get a workable sound out of it. If it doesn't work really well on my rapper's problematic voice, I'm going back to the drawing board.

I'm planning on buying a dark and a bright condenser since I have neutral covered. Probably Oktava MK319 and Rode Nt2a. We'll see how it works out. Kind of a bummer.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #46
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 ➑️
I'm really not fond of the SM7B's sound. Ran it through more tests today. It's OK. I can see how through really great pre's, pro engineers can get a workable sound out of it. If it doesn't work really well on my rapper's problematic voice, I'm going back to the drawing board.

I'm planning on buying a dark and a bright condenser since I have neutral covered. Probably Oktava MK319 and Rode Nt2a. We'll see how it works out. Kind of a bummer.
Get an MXL v69me.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #47
Here for the gear
 
Knobz's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I would say try an RE20.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
prizebeatz1's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think the SM7b takes a lot of experience to be able to appreciate it for what it is. Most people have the same initial reaction. But part of its beauty (in terms of sound) is in its ugliness so-to-speak. I actually prefer the sm57 to it so if you have not tried it's little brother you may want to consider it. I slept on the sm57 for a long time because I tried the sm58 and it was honky and then the sm7b wasn't exactly to my liking either so I figured there was no way the sm57 would be worth trying. I was wrong. The sm57 is my hero, LOL. Now don't get me wrong, the SM7 is still worth having around too but it took me much longer to be able to understand it and appreciate it than it did for the sm57. Call it what you want but I honestly think the sm57 is the better mic.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
mahuska's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
Get an MXL v69me.
What then, get it modded? That is what my Studio friend did. Didn't care for it stock. But then again he has an awesome mic locker
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
mahuska's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 ➑️
I'm really not fond of the SM7B's sound. Ran it through more tests today. It's OK. I can see how through really great pre's, pro engineers can get a workable sound out of it. If it doesn't work really well on my rapper's problematic voice, I'm going back to the drawing board.

I'm planning on buying a dark and a bright condenser since I have neutral covered. Probably Oktava MK319 and Rode Nt2a. We'll see how it works out. Kind of a bummer.
Well you haven't tried it on your rapper's voice yet? I thought that is why you posted this thread. All kinds of suggestions and you don't have money to throw around I assume. Everybody is eager to help you spend your cash
If it doesn't work out the SM7b that is with this rapper then i dunno. Perhaps a Heil PR-40. Same kind of mic but more fidelty and crisper and less expensive. See now I am trying to help you spend your scratch.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
  #51
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahuska ➑️
What then, get it modded? That is what my Studio friend did. Didn't care for it stock. But then again he has an awesome mic locker
Ya change the tube for a mullard cv4024.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Grant Ransom's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmansound ➑️
Given your budget you're options are somewhat limited. I would recommend a ribbon mic as they are typically slower and have a nice smooth response in the 2-6k range. Since this is not really an option for you I would just recommend an SM7. Great dynamic mic that can handle intense sound pressure with ease and CHEAP. Don't remember the last session I worked on where this mic wasn't employed somewhere. Absolutely will get your money's worth.
Good advice I think, except ribbons (typically) employ an aluminium "element", microns thick which is lightening-fast compared to a moving coil setup.

OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 ➑️
I'm really not fond of the SM7B's sound. Ran it through more tests today. It's OK. I can see how through really great pre's, pro engineers can get a workable sound out of it.
Your issue may be that you talk about "preserving detail", yet detail may be exactly what is making his vocals too edgey. Detail is fine, except when enhancing what we think "good" detail is - it is actually compromising a vocal tonality. A lot of revered, big vocals sounds are actually full of non-linear artefacts, even the airy ones. Is saturation/distortion "detail"?
What I'm saying is your "target" vocal sound may just be a bit... wrong...(?)

I would give the Shure a chance and get used to it a bit. Coming from a 4040 it will be night-n-day different. The fact is that many people get good use out of it, and there's no magic going on.
It has a presence switch, so you have 2 chances. With that pre and a little EQ experimentation...
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
mahuska's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
Ya change the tube for a mullard cv4024.
no it was more involved than that. He sent it out to a professional. When I change tubes in my amp from the stock ones I consider it and upgrade not a mod.
I did replace a tube in an early model sE tube mic (circa 2004) with some NOS and it did help some but was not significant and mind blowing. My Pal had a client that preferred the modded mic you speak of over very expensive ones on her last record. But here again there is no mic to be the end all. It is personal preference.
I hope the OP finds what he is looking for but it is starting to sound like a spendy affair, a slippery slope.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
  #54
Gear Addict
 
Caramel's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by prizebeatz1 ➑️
I think the SM7b takes a lot of experience to be able to appreciate it for what it is. Most people have the same initial reaction. But part of its beauty (in terms of sound) is in its ugliness so-to-speak. I actually prefer the sm57 to it so if you have not tried it's little brother you may want to consider it. I slept on the sm57 for a long time because I tried the sm58 and it was honky and then the sm7b wasn't exactly to my liking either so I figured there was no way the sm57 would be worth trying. I was wrong. The sm57 is my hero, LOL. Now don't get me wrong, the SM7 is still worth having around too but it took me much longer to be able to understand it and appreciate it than it did for the sm57. Call it what you want but I honestly think the sm57 is the better mic.
One of the best songs I ever produced for an award winning artist was a sm57 straight into a roland octacapture. It was a guide vocal, one take. That song gives people shivers. NO-ONE said the vocal was not good.

I recently worked with an icon in South Africa. She is a household name. I did a song with her and could not get the right vibe. I put a SM57 in her hand ( it did go into a Great River-API 2500-Portico Tape Emulator) and she cracked it. People in radio and whoever heard it says she has never sounded that good.
Her previous projects were done with decent budgets and top notch gear. People are shocked when I tell them it was an SM57. The only comments are that it sound amazing.

*Just to add; every other mic sounded better than the 57 when listening to the individual tracks. But not when it came to fitting it into the mix*
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
  #55
Lives for gear
 
prizebeatz1's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel ➑️
One of the best songs I ever produced for an award winning artist was a sm57 straight into a roland octacapture. It was a guide vocal, one take. That song gives people shivers. NO-ONE said the vocal was not good.

I recently worked with an icon in South Africa. She is a household name. I did a song with her and could not get the right vibe. I put a SM57 in her hand ( it did go into a Great River-API 2500-Portico Tape Emulator) and she cracked it. People in radio and whoever heard it says she has never sounded that good.
Her previous projects were done with decent budgets and top notch gear. People are shocked when I tell them it was an SM57. The only comments are that it sound amazing.

*Just to add; every other mic sounded better than the 57 when listening to the individual tracks. But not when it came to fitting it into the mix*
Good stuff. Very interesting. I've tried the sm57 through the more generic pres on my audio interface too and I think it still sounded very good. I was actually asking myself why I even bother with anything else. I'm confident that getting a pro sounding recording has a lot less to do with the mic and pre than one would think. I mean, it does play a part but we tend to worry about that kind of stuff too much. I'm one of the biggest offenders so I'm not trying to come down on anyone, I'm just saying....
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Grant Ransom's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Right.

And the thing is, the magic ain't in a 57/8 specifically either... people are often just used to them.

Performance always trumps gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic for a rapper with a harsh upper mid range?-diy-slide.png  
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
  #57
Gear Addict
 
Caramel's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Ransom ➑️
Right.

And the thing is, the magic ain't in a 57/8 specifically either... people are often just used to them.

Performance always trumps gear.
Agreed !
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
  #58
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I'm sure a good performance can be captured with any given mic, and worked into something something solid.. but if clients are listening to today's modern rap music, and expecting to achieve a similar sound when they come to record, Idk if an SM7B is the tool for the job.

I'm not necessarily knocking the SM7B, but I'm almost glad that I got to try it for myself, and see what the fuss is all about. Unfortunately, I have to say that based off of my own short - lived experience with it, I have to agree that it seems to be way over-hyped.

If I had a Rapper that was constantly loud like Mystikal, then maybe it'd work perfectly. But I DID say that I would report all of my first impressions with it, which is exactly what I'm doing. But like I said, if it's not a perfect fit, I see no reason to keep it when I have an sm57 available. Personally, I'd rather put the money towards more fitting mics, compressors, etc..
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
prizebeatz1's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 ➑️
...Personally, I'd rather put the money towards more fitting mics, compressors, etc..
That is exactly where I'm coming from too. I'd rather take the money spent on a SM7b and use it towards a really great preamp to use with the sm57. Just my opinion.
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
  #60
Lives for gear
 
mahuska's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick87 ➑️
I'm sure a good performance can be captured with any given mic, and worked into something something solid.. but if clients are listening to today's modern rap music, and expecting to achieve a similar sound when they come to record, Idk if an SM7B is the tool for the job.

I'm not necessarily knocking the SM7B, but I'm almost glad that I got to try it for myself, and see what the fuss is all about. Unfortunately, I have to say that based off of my own short - lived experience with it, I have to agree that it seems to be way over-hyped.

If I had a Rapper that was constantly loud like Mystikal, then maybe it'd work perfectly. But I DID say that I would report all of my first impressions with it, which is exactly what I'm doing. But like I said, if it's not a perfect fit, I see no reason to keep it when I have an sm57 available. Personally, I'd rather put the money towards more fitting mics, compressors, etc..
Did you try it with the "Rapper with a harsh upper mid range"? That is the threads title. If not I don't get it?. If you did have him use it then yeah hope you can get a full refund. The thing is if you start another thread or get another mic based more opinions and don't try it out for the specific purpose/application this doesn't make sense. The SM7b is a godsend for MY voice although I'll reach for a good LDC from time to time also wouldn't grab the SM7b for some female voices. The SM7b is not way over hyped and is a great mic for some applications and now I feel you will be one of it's detractors here on GS and I don't know if you gave it a fair shake enough for you doing so.(disregard if your Rapper didn't like it). Again since you are still mic shopping ask about the Heil PR-40 as it is much more detailed than the SM7b. Try your Sm57 against the SM7b before you make an assumption that it is the same deal. Sure some people here can say all they want but you have BOTH mics there right now. Compare while you can. If the SM57 seems to cover what the SM7b for a lot less, yeah lose the SM7b as quick as you can. That is what I would do. Make your own assessments with what you currently have and don't assume anything.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1172 views: 261664
Avatar for Dr. Jule
Dr. Jule 6 days ago
replies: 75 views: 17632
Avatar for guitarboy94
guitarboy94 8th February 2013
replies: 628 views: 47248
Avatar for weave
weave 1 week ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump