Quantcast
Electric drum kits - are tennis ball isolation platforms effective enough? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Electric drum kits - are tennis ball isolation platforms effective enough?
Old 1st March 2014
Electric drum kits - are tennis ball isolation platforms effective enough?

I'm looking for a cost effective way of minimizing the vibrations from my electric drum kit as I’m conscious of how much noise must travel into the next apartment. I have looked up about isolation platforms using tennis balls, essentially 2 boards of thick mdf with tennis balls between them -

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...urbo/007-7.jpg

I'm sure they do make a difference but is it worth it? Are there better ways of doing it and if not, does the type of tennis ball matter? I have read threads where people are saying the tennis balls that are considered better, for tennis, are worse for this purpose as they are pressurised and not as effective for isolation. I have mdf at my disposal at the moment so I’m wondering what's the best way to go about making a platform. Are tennis ball platforms sufficient or are there better methods/additional methods that would help me isolation my electronic drum kit from the floor? Any help and advise would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

You can usually get machine isolators that will be more consistent. The problem with tennis balls is that they leak. Fresh new ones are a lot stiffer than well-used ones.

Vibration Isolator Pads - Mounts and Vibration Control - Grainger Industrial Supply

-tINY

Old 1st March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
There was a write up in Sound on Sound on this very topic, either the January or February edition but I think it was the January. The guy talked about two layers of specialized foam... not the platfoam stuff, material that was even stronger. They two layers of MDF with green glue in between on top of the foam. The guy was happy with his results.
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➡️

You can usually get machine isolators that will be more consistent. The problem with tennis balls is that they leak. Fresh new ones are a lot stiffer than well-used ones.

Vibration Isolator Pads - Mounts and Vibration Control - Grainger Industrial Supply

I think that pads like that are for very heavy loads. With anything only a hundred pounds or two, they'd be hard as bricks.

There are things like Ampeg Portaflex and VT chassis vibration mounts, but bigger, using either rubber or flex members like steel cable. I didn't see them in Graingers but they're out there.

Of course, you could just go to the thrift store and buy a bunch of great honkin' big pillows. They'll compress but not all the way to hard.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

These ones are rated for 200 pounds max. 4 sheets of 3/4" mdf (for a 8x8 foot platform) weigh about 325 pounds. Add 200 for a drummer and another 50 or so for your kit and you could almost overload 3 of them.....

-tINY

Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
This reminds me of a discussion we had about this a while back in which the OP in another thread ended up trying rubber stall mats to quiet his kit, but we never got an update from him about the results.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...ighbors-3.html
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Ah, yes.... The horse-stall mats...

That may be even better.

-tINY

📝 Reply