Quantcast
Good microphones for interior - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good microphones for interior
Old 28th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Good microphones for interior

Hey, I'm new here but I've been an indie filmmaker for over 8 years.

I have a question regarding mics.

I'm looking for mics in the 200-300 USD range for interior scenes. One to pick up voices clearly and without much room echo. Another to pick up just ambient sounds in the room.

Pretty sure Rode mics fit the bill but not sure which ones. Any ones you would recommend?
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're on the low budget, you can get whatever shotgun mic for distant miking and some SDC for close ups and ambience.
But if you want at least some quality, look for used sennheiser 416 as a small shotgun, and for ambience/noises and close dialogue miking you can get oktava mk-012 with 3 capsules.

Do not forget you should get windshields, at least foam ones for interior (sometimes it might help), and a good boom pole. And, of course, the main thing here is technique and experience, not the gear itself. So, the experienced boom op can work even with not so great gear.
Old 1st March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I see, many thanks. I saw someone was recommending the Rode NT3, but for you the Oktava is better?
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Rode mics are very quiet and are great for distance micing in these situations. Your ambient sound mic could be an NT1000 for example.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Shotguns are not my first choice for interior dialogue, a Schoeps mk41 would be my first choice here, but on your budget an Oktava 012 with hypercardioid capsule would do the trick.
Be careful with handling noise and wind noise with these mics.
Old 6th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Great, thanks for the replies! I was wondering also, especially for voice recordings, what kind of sound pattern should it have ideally (graph)?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for your purpose, a hypercardioid or supercardioid would be best for dialogue. for recording roomtone or ambience everything stereo (ms, ab, xy, ortf) would be fine with ms being my first choice and could be already mounted on the boom.
πŸ“ Reply