The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you haven't used ClassicAPI products - you should...
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If you haven't used ClassicAPI products - you should...

I'm honestly floored.
I had never really considered the ClassicAPI stuff before, because the closest I've come to soldering is spreading mayonnaise on sandwhich bread. But, through the wonders of Gearslutz and Facebook, I've kept up with the rave reviews all the products have gotten. Jeff Steiger and I had spoken a few times on Facebook and he mentioned that he was coming down to Nashville - so long story short, he (and Scott Leibers) stopped by and brought some of his products.

I've often bemoaned not being able to really get that "console" sound at home and had rightly deduced that it probably just wasn't possible without buying, well, a console...I'm talking about that thick, punchy, weighty, non-thin, non-sheeny sound associated with not having $100k invested in your studio. I usually track in large studios and bring my tracks home for some overdubs, Vocals and mixing...and while I've been generally happy with the results of what I recorded at home, it still felt like it was missing something.

Enter the VP528 Missing Links...I'm not technical, so I'm sure I'll mess some of this up, but the missing links are basically the extra goo that the console adds after the mic pre/EQ stage. It's the extra iron that is essential for the sound of these classic pres. It has two stages of transformers, selectable hi cut and lo cut, a master fader and a hard bypass.

We added the missing link chained in after my Helios Type 69, singing through a Miktek CV4. Honestly, I expected there would probably be a difference, but I thought it would be subtle...you know, considering we're talking about a mono recording and all...I expected to be able to hear much more of a difference if several tracks were recorded with the ML's and that's when you would really be able to tell the difference. But it was pretty dramatic. The bottom was definitely bigger, the top rolled off a little and the mids tamed - it was catching the transient peaks and rounding them off where they weren't as harsh. I was pretty damn happy...

But the real magic started happening when using the Hi/Lo cut. Jeff also brought his vintage Ela M 251 (formerly spat upon by Dolly Parton). When we hooked it up and I sang through it, it was fantastic. Mid range information for days, creamy, big bottom...I thought I was ruined. While the CV4 is a fantastic mic, it still has that Chinese sizzle (I still love it and it has much less than other mics on the market btw). Sooo - We set the hi cut at 18Khz and the Lo cut at 40Hz. And lo and behold - it was amazing. No more Chinese capsule syndrome. Beautiful beefy lows, fantastic midrange and an open top without the sizzle. Needless to say I ordered two then and there. I can't wait to run everything through them. This is the solution I've been wanting...

Then we hooked up his new "Heider" 312 pre. Huge. Huge bottom, better midrange and top than my RND or my Helios. I'm buying that too.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I just can't say enough about the products that I tried. Jeff is a genuinely great guy and I'm an absolute convert. You should be too. He's making stellar products and these rack makers should give Jeff millions and just have The Missing Links standard in every 500 rack made.
Old 26th April 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Ha! Wondered how long it would take you to figure it out John..... Sounds like it was a fun hang...
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn, I need to get on these...I'd love to settle on a pair of VP28's for the 2buss before my RJR comp and a Splice for one of the vp28's to track vocals with...

drBill, are the vp28's ok to use on the 2buss if I have to use a preamp for double duty?
Old 26th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➑️
Damn, I need to get on these...I'd love to settle on a pair of VP28's for the 2buss before my RJR comp and a Splice for one of the vp28's to track vocals with...

drBill, are the vp28's ok to use on the 2buss if I have to use a preamp for double duty?
At this point, my vp28's are on the 2buss 99% of the time. Soon I will be able to reroute them back to being mic preamps though....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
At this point, my vp28's are on the 2buss 99% of the time. Soon I will be able to reroute them back to being mic preamps though....
You're awesome, thanks for the quick response...I thought so...

I haven't used my Aurora16 in some time for anything important, so I think I'm going to get rid of it, I've got plenty of other inputs I can use...I think if I sell it I can pre-order a Splice and pick up 2 vp28 kits. Don't know if I have the balls to try and make a vp28 on my own, might have to order one pre-made from Custom Analog Services or whoever that company is that usually keeps them in stock and then maybe find someone later who can build the 2nd one when I have more money. At least that way, I'd own the unit and I can just pay for the building services later.

As for the opamp, should I go with red dot on it or...?? Which one will be most versatile as far as being forgiving in a vocal tracking situation and then also great for running the 2buss through it?
Old 26th April 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Can't go wrong with red dots. I've got Gar 2520's and 1731's in mine though. Can't remember which is in which position, but it does make a difference. I think the 1731's are in the output stage. Got red dots in my 26's and LOVE those as well.
Old 26th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok, as long as you don't feel a pair of red dots in each wouldn't be too much mojo in a 2buss situation...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok, as long as you don't feel a pair of red dots in each wouldn't be too much mojo in a 2buss situation...
I don't necessarily define red dots as "mojo", but whatever, give it a go or ask Jeff his opinion...
Old 27th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
What setting do you use with v28 on 2nus. I second that the CAPI stuff is super cool.
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A big fan and owner of early 70's api gear.
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just got a vp26. Can't wait to add some more and get a pair of 28s.
Old 27th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I enjoy switching them around every now and then. I currently have a pair of Missing Link with API 2520 on their outputs on the 2 buss with twin AML ez1073. Now there's some mojo that will never be too much for me!
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
John your findings are like mine. You can, and should use the Missing Links ever where! I just did some mixes and tried to not use them again on the mix buss. I got 98 percent done and the mix just wasn't happening. I put the Missing Links on the mix buss and then it sounded right.

BTW, you can't have to many red dots in the chain. That is part of the vibe. Embrace the vibe!
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh... I just realized classic api doesnt mean vintage api.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm ➑️
Oh... I just realized classic api doesnt mean vintage api.

Actuallly, ClassicAPI DOES mean vintage 70's API.
Old 27th April 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn ➑️
Then we hooked up his new "Heider" 312 pre. Huge. Huge bottom, better midrange and top than my RND or my Helios. I'm buying that too.
Oh nooo. Don't tell me I need to buy more pres?

Happy VP28 owner here. Like Dr Bill, mine are mostly on 2buss and I haven't explored the filters too much. I'm usually recording analog synths and such anyway. No voice or acoustic instruments.

I've got a couple of big drum tracking sessions over the next 10 days, so I'm sure my VP28's and 10 year old 512c's will get a serious work out.
I've got SL Red Dots in the 512's and 1731's in the VP28's.
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
happy happy here also.

i used the vp28 for the first time on mix buss this week. has been my snare/guitar/bass pre for a while now as well as a dking. they have the gar 2520 on the input and the 1731 on the outputs.

earlier this week, i needed to give the drummer a track to work out his parts so did a rough mix of vox, guitar, and ran it through the vp28 to hear what would happen. just tweaked the knobs until i hit something i liked. ended up with input fader full left and output fader driven. sounded much thicker. guitar tracks were tracked a little muddy but the 80hz hp on the vp28 fixed that. very impressed,
fattened up the tracks but didn't push the vocals to far forward.

last night tracked a bass session. ran 2 mics, one being an m201 into the vp28. tweaked it until i got something i liked. that ended up being, pad engaged, input fader driven hard and output fader pulled back 6db or so with 40hz hp 6db engaged. that sounded excellent too. punchy fat bass.

there is so much variation. being able to switch between mic and line is soooo handy.

love them.
Old 27th April 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Jesus, I'm skint but do fancy me some Missing links or VP28's based on 'more of the same goodness' and loving my VP26's. I don't need loads of channels and regularly get tempted to cash in me chips, sell the three VP26's and get two VP28's to replace them.....but it is hard to make myself want to sell the 26's.......
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Compressors

Do they have compressors too like the 525.... or any plans?
Greetz
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Jesus, I'm skint but do fancy me some Missing links or VP28's based on 'more of the same goodness' and loving my VP26's. I don't need loads of channels and regularly get tempted to cash in me chips, sell the three VP26's and get two VP28's to replace them.....but it is hard to make myself want to sell the 26's.......
look on the bright side, at least you'll have one vp26 to go with your vp28's...
Old 27th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Pairs of VP26 > LC53A > VC528 here. Compressors are next, but as I understand it, Jeff has no plans to design a compressor. Too bad, because I love this CAPI sound. I've considered lots of options but currently am thinking of ordering a pair of Serpent Splices.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️

Happy VP28 owner here. Like Dr Bill, mine are mostly on 2buss and I haven't explored the filters too much. I'm usually recording analog synths and such anyway. No voice or acoustic instruments.

I've got a couple of big drum tracking sessions over the next 10 days, so I'm sure my VP28's and 10 year old 512c's will get a serious work out.
I can't wait to get some drums recorded...I could see shooting the Drum Bus out to the Missing Links and driving them a little...
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
missing links sound great on overheads while tracking. I need 2 more so I can cover overheads and kick and snare while tracking.

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I haven't tried it (just vox), but I can't imagine not tracking everything running through the Missing Links...Can you have too much of a good thing?
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn ➑️
I haven't tried it (just vox), but I can't imagine not tracking everything running through the Missing Links...Can you have too much of a good thing?
nope

Sent from my SGH-T989
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=dandeurloo;8989272]missing links sound great on overheads while tracking. I need 2 more so I can cover overheads and kick and snare while tracking.

+1 My CAPI chain has been parked on overheads about a year now. The ML's are at unity while tracking. I push them a little harder when mixing. Definitely need more.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️

Have you tried the red dots in the vp28's at all? If you haven't, any reason why there's no curiosity to try the red dots outside of the 1731's?
Old 27th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I just finish a pair of VP 312 DI and i can't believe how good they sound. Synths trough the DI Pre 2622 is just amazing, Drum Machines too.

Is like an extra layer of thick awesomeness.

I have the Red Dot on both of them. I am looking to get at least 1 Missing Link as soon as

they are available. Would you guys recommend the 1731, 2522 or Blue Dots for it?

Edi
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My favorite chain for API vibe is the capi 312 in to missing links. All red dots. Sounds so good!

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 27th April 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Have you tried the red dots in the vp28's at all? If you haven't, any reason why there's no curiosity to try the red dots outside of the 1731's?
Not yet tried red dots in the CAPI. No reason, except the VP28's sound good as is. I did buy an extra pair of red dots to insert should I want to.
Closed