The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best home studio CONDENSER mic under $150
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsounds ➡️
would the st51 stand up to the mics I listed? (at2050, cad m179, etc)

The AT2050 would beat the ST51 but you're comparing an $80 condenser to a $230 and IMO if you're gonna spend $230 then save up a little more and go for the Shure SM7B, its not a condenser but does a really good job on vocals, bass cabs, guitars, and just about anything. Even better to use a large dynamic if you dont have an acoustically treated room. I believe Michael Jackson used the SM7B on the thriller album.

You're gonna spend more money upgrading mics all the time instead of just getting a really good one right away.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart ➡️
The AT2050 would beat the ST51 but you're comparing an $80 condenser to a $230 and IMO if you're gonna spend $230 then save up a little more and go for the Shure SM7B, its not a condenser but does a really good job on vocals, bass cabs, guitars, and just about anything. Even better to use a large dynamic if you dont have an acoustically treated room. I believe Michael Jackson used the SM7B on the thriller album.

You're gonna spend more money upgrading mics all the time instead of just getting a really good one right away.
I'd love to get an SM7b but from what I understand it requires a preamp which would end up costing me at least another $100+ , correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
For that kind of money i definitely would buy condenser mic instead of sm7b.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
How mellow will your vocals be? What is your range? Can you give a reference point? This thread mentions a bunch of solid beginner go-tos (SM57/-8, M179, NT1A), but they all do slightly different things. For example: the NT1A nails my low end (I'm somewhere between baritone and tenor) far better than an SM7B, but its tendency to broadcast sibilance makes it less than ideal for the vocal-heavy, noisy Americana thing I try to do. Meanwhile, the SM57 captures my full voice on a restrained melody, but feels chintzy if I try to switch to a higher register; SM58s gobble up my voice and turn it to mud. What's your ultimate tonal aim? What does the electronic music itself sound like?
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'd love to get an SM7b but from what I understand it requires a preamp which would end up costing me at least another $100+ , correct me if I'm wrong.
I thought you said you were using an m-box? That's your preamp.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Depends on the interface/mixer you're using. Most modern interfaces/mixers have pretty high gain preamps so you may not need one. I usually run mine through a tube pre amp for the character but I have run the sm7b straight into a Duet II interface with no problems. You can also get the Cloudlifter which you add to the chain and gives it a gain boost before going to the mixer/interface.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizcities ➡️
How mellow will your vocals be? What is your range? Can you give a reference point? This thread mentions a bunch of solid beginner go-tos (SM57/-8, M179, NT1A), but they all do slightly different things. For example: the NT1A nails my low end (I'm somewhere between baritone and tenor) far better than an SM7B, but its tendency to broadcast sibilance makes it less than ideal for the vocal-heavy, noisy Americana thing I try to do. Meanwhile, the SM57 captures my full voice on a restrained melody, but feels chintzy if I try to switch to a higher register; SM58s gobble up my voice and turn it to mud. What's your ultimate tonal aim? What does the electronic music itself sound like?
I don't have any of my music online yet but when I say mellow I mean something similar to this Washed Out - You and I - YouTube only slightly higher and younger sounding. If you know or listen to this type of genre it's kind of what style I'm playing.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart ➡️
Depends on the interface/mixer you're using. Most modern interfaces/mixers have pretty high gain preamps so you may not need one. I usually run mine through a tube pre amp for the character but I have run the sm7b straight into a Duet II interface with no problems. You can also get the Cloudlifter which you add to the chain and gives it a gain boost before going to the mixer/interface.
I have an mbox 2, but either way I meant to say the sm7b is over the budget I wanted to spend. I was only considering the AT2050 and the Blue Spark because I can get them for around $150 brand new.
Old 1st February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I would just choose one of those two (AT or Blue) and start experimenting. Your experience with whichever mic you buy will be more valuable than any opinion that we can give you. And if you don't like it you can sell it and buy the other one.
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't have any of my music online yet but when I say mellow I mean something similar to this Washed Out - You and I - YouTube only slightly higher and younger sounding. If you know or listen to this type of genre it's kind of what style I'm playing.
Hmm, chillwave. That basically means that your vocals will be semi-buried and (mildly) verbed out, I assume? In that case, I'd skip the dynamic/LDC debate and get something that pairs a condenser's essential warmth with a narrowish cardioid pattern - a mid-priced SDC, maybe, as they're often used on background vox. I'd make some specific suggestions, but I'm currently in a cheapy SDC quagmire myself. Names that get tossed around in your price range, though: AT Pro 37s, Oktava MC-/MK-012s, Little Blondies, used Shure SM81s... read a few reviews and look for phrases like "takes EQ well," as that'll be important for making your vox eventually blend into the mix in a standard chillwave style.

Last edited by vizcities; 1st February 2013 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Had more info & caveats!
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
P.S. Not ALL SDCs have a narrower cardioid pattern than LDCs (the Little Blondies are omni, for example), but CARDIOID SDCs, by dint of their smaller capsule size, do. Just clarifying!
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I still don’t understand what the problem is with the Blue Spark. It sounds like you’re just going for an indie kind of sound anyway, and that’s cool. But, you should be able to get that with what you already have. You really should listen to the voices of experience here. At this point an sm 57 or 58 will give you a lot more options now and down the road, and you won’t have to worry about borrowing them.

Also, I really like the Studio Projects B1 for $99. Sometimes PMI Audio runs direct order B-stock offers for as low as $75, and that’s a damn steal. There’s a lot of love for the CAD M 179, and although I’ve never used it, way too many experienced engineers have sung its praises for years for me to dismiss; so, it must be good. I can tell you that the SP B1 is sort of like the sm57 of LDCs IME. Actually, with a pad engaged on one of my pres it sounds very close to a 57.

Placement and positioning are key with any vocal mic, and the SP B1 can put out some incredible vocals….Oh, and someone else mentioned the MXL v67, which isn’t bad either….just not as much of a utility mic as the SP B1 IME…..

That said, I don’t know why you couldn’t get similar results with the Spark.
Old 1st February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
don't even think about a condenser until you have at least 500 to spend. cheap condensers are almost always really terrible. they have this harsh bite in the high end and you'll end up EQ'ing everything you record.

for under 200, just go get a nice dynamic and you'll be far happier. if you already have an SM57/58, then take a look at some other styles. I recently picked up a 55SH for rock vocal use and I am completely satisfied with my choice over a condenser.

really, you have to be spending quite a lot to get a decent condenser when compared to a dynamic.
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizavin ➡️
don't even think about a condenser until you have at least 500 to spend. cheap condensers are almost always really terrible. they have this harsh bite in the high end and you'll end up EQ'ing everything you record.
Eh, this just flat-out misleading, as you're referring mostly to Chinese mics w/out quality control. I've never really had this problem, for example, with the CAD M179, which is about as flat and clear as anything you'll ever buy. Also, I've recorded a crooner with the NT1A and gotten totally usable-to-excellent results (though, as previously noted, it kills plenty of other voices). Pro 37s and KEL HM-2Ds/-7Us show up in plenty of excellent studios, as do $400-range ATs and even tube MXLs. Mic placement + understanding of a mic's strengths = a good recording, even if you're playing with chump change.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Well it seems like people still recommend the sm57 so I think I'm going to order one for myself anyways and maybe get something like a studio projects b1 or AT2035 later. I was thinking about ordering from Amazon, I see 57-LC and 57, I'm assuming one comes with an xlr and one doesn't? Should I get a separate cable or just use the one it comes with?

Also what's a good cheap pop filter / windscreen you guys can recommend me to buy online? (Amazon, BHphoto, Musiciansfriend, GC, Bestbuy)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs ➡️
CAD M179 and Shure SM57 would cover a lot of ground. Pretty sure I could record a whole album with that combo no problem.
I agree with this recommendation 100 percent.

I have Blue Baby Bottle, AT4047, 4050, AKG C414, Rode NT1a, etc. mics and my CAD M179 gets used more than any of them.

Multi pattern, quiet, huge low end response and it sounds like whatever you put in front of it.

That and a 57 would be all I need for an entire band.
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you gotta keep it cheap, stick with dynamics. Your ears will thank you.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
another vote for the at2035. own two of them and use them on everything. they also make great overheads. i've heard its supposedly the same, same-ish as the at3035, which other people seem to be recommending but someone might need to confirm that
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have a CAD M179 and heartily recommend it. The Supercardiod setting blocks my room sound right out. I could do everything with just the M179 if I had too.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for the CAD M179, especially if it's your first condenser mic. It's clean, versatile, variable patterns, the included shockmount works well. Doesn't sound vintage but as a workhorse, it's hard to beat in the sub $1000 range.
Old 13th February 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrowbar ➡️
+1 for the CAD M179, especially if it's your first condenser mic. It's clean, versatile, variable patterns, the included shockmount works well. Doesn't sound vintage but as a workhorse, it's hard to beat in the sub $1000 range.
+2 I'm not even a massive fan of the SM7B.. So I'd rather have the CAD..
Old 13th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Get the M179.

Great all round mic which will work on anything and with a bit of eq (which it takes rather well) not to be underestimated as a vocal mic. But most of all it sounds unabrasive. And you will NOT find that in any other condenser that cheap.
Oh, and it is super quiet, has loads of patterns and picks up untold bottom end (unless you put the roll off on, which you want to for vocals). What's not to like. Hell, get two for a superb pair of stereo possibilities on anything.
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Some lower cost mics I have used and I think are ok.
Blue Spark
AKG P220
Little Blondie
📝 Reply