Quantcast
M-Audio Studiophile Bx8 hole at 100 Hz - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
M-Audio Studiophile Bx8 hole at 100 Hz
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
M-Audio Studiophile Bx8 hole at 100 Hz

I have an older pair of M-Audio Studiophiles Bx8, and I've been trying to get them to sound better for mixing. I've moved them out of the corner, given them plenty of space, put them on stands, and I've been adjusting the settings on the back of the speakers that affect their frequency response.

No matter what I do I have a giant hole at 100 Hz (see picture from Smaart session).

I've done a sine sweep and hearing this notch very clearly. I try moving them around the room and no change. Any ideas? Do I need new speakers?

Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Have you tried moving the listening position? Fastest way to get a hold of the problem is to drive pink noise from the speakers, and monitoring a real time analyzer when moving the speakers, or listening position.
That way you can see right away whatΒ΄s what.
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah the image is from RTA of pink noise. I moved them around the room and the hole was still there, which leads me to believe that it is the speakers... unless I'm missing something.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
More likely it's the room.
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
so maybe the distance between my two sides walls creates a cancelation at that frequency no matter where they are in the room?

I'll try to bring them into a larger room tonight and see if it helps.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can also check the listening position- not the speaker position. Where, exactly, the reference mic is placed. If you move it around and repeat the test you may learn something. The null may only occur because of exactly where the measurement is being taken.
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Indeed! It is the room, and it also seems to be a null in this place in the room.

I borrowed some Genelecs and I was getting the same thing. I moved the listening position closer to one of the walls and 100 Hz showed back up.

So it seems that my best next move is to do a lot of testing with various placements of speakers and listening position.

My room dimensions are 12'11" wide by 28' long by 7'9" tall.

Right now I have my speakers facing the 12'11" wall with more open space behind the listening position. The speakers are on stands about 15" from the wall, they are 5' from one another and the listening position is 5' from each. Maybe I should move closer to the right wall to get out of this null? And maybe get some bass traps in the corners?

Many thanks for all the comments!
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So I slowly inched to the right wall with my speaker and listening position, and I found one spot where 100 Hz returns, but it brings with it a GIANT boost at 59 Hz (see picture bellow)

The blue line is my M-Audio Studiophile Bx8s with settings adjusted on the back that affect the frequency response. The pink line is the same placement with a Genelec 8030A. Not sure if this means Genelecs have reduced highs? Or if the room is just boosting lows so much and I'm compensating partly by raising the highs and mids on my M-Audios.

Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
And it seems other modes of the room are popping out. Not only 60, but also 120 and 240 clearly have a peak.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Not sure about the highs but I would assume the M:s are hyping the top rather than Gennys are deficient in that department. Could also have something to do with directionality, if the speakers have not been pointing exactly the same direction. Also at least the G:s have treble tilt dip switches at the back.

Since this turned out to be acoustics-related issue, I recommend turning to the knowledgeable and groovy people at the Acoustics-area of this forum.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You definitely would benefit from broadband absorption in the corners. All smallish squarish rooms do.
πŸ“ Reply