Quantcast
Avalon Pre into Liquid Saffire 56 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avalon Pre into Liquid Saffire 56
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Avalon Pre into Liquid Saffire 56

Hey Slutz. I asked this on another section here but got no hits. i am hoping someone over here can give me some insight. Long story short,I have the liquid saffire 56 as an audio interface and have just got an amazing deal on an Avalon Vt 737 from a friend of a friend who is shutting down his studio. My question is simple. Do you think i need to upgrade my interface or will the LS56 be sufficient? And if so,what are your suggestions under the 1500.00 price(if any) I just dont want to "dumb down" the Avalon's signal so to speak. Thanks for any input guys.
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
From what I've heard if you're sending the pre in with adat, you should be set.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
dmusic4u,

I also have a Liquid Saffire 56. From all my research and using it, I can tell you that the A/D conversion on it is pretty good, though not the best.

I myself run some pretty expensive outboard units through it, and to my ears they sound better usually than the internal pres. Is the LS56 not capturing the quality of the outboard preamps to their full potential, no doubt. But then again, I'm not listening in a professionally design control room and on 5-10k monitors.

The post above talks about sending the Avalon with ADAT? I wasn't aware that the vT 737 had ADAT out. If so then yeah, no worries since you wouldn't be hitting the converters of the LS56.

As for a step up in conversion, I think you are going to have spend more than $1500 if you are replacing the LS56 with this new unit. I hear the APOLLO has great converters and is definitely a step up. (just what I've read)

Another option would be to get dedicated converters. I hear this guy makes incredible converters at a ridiculous price. Ross Martin Audio. To be frank, his website is confusing and I believe you need an A/D converter to bring the audio in from an analogue outboard preamp.

One more option for you (and me) would be to send in your Liquid Saffire 56 to BLA (Black Lion Audio) for a mod. These guys have an incredible reputation of upgrading gear (specifically conversion from A/D and D/A of the units) It's a $575 upgrade I believe and it would put you a step up in all 8 input and 10 output channels of the LS56. Black Lion Audio | Focusrite Liquid 56

Hope that helps.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if your running high end preamps why not just own the Saffire Pro40????
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First - the Avalon-Line has no Digital I/O Option (you can´t hook it up via adat as suggested).
There´s a whole lotta 737 bashing on this forum but also many respected people here who really like this unit as frontend toneshaper.
To your question - I´d be very surprised if the Focusrite could not capture the subtle and not so subtle differences the Avalon brings to the table.
Conversion really got better in the past few years on every price-level IMO.
The focusrite should be fine.

BTW what mic(s) do you want to use with the Avalon ? I think that´s way more important to your sound
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsi ➡️
if your running high end preamps why not just own the Saffire Pro40????
Because I'm a GearSlut. hahahaha.

And I don't have tons of Outboards either, so if recording a full band, I'd still use the Liquid Pres.

Plus I bought it before I had anything else, in addition to wanting something that I could unrack and bring with me to record at a venue. This gives me 8 channels. (with 2 liquid)

(but mainly because I'm a Slutz)
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks a lot for your replies. Takes some of the pressure off! I will mainly be recording vocals and wanted to be able to use a few different preamps for different "flavors" and knowing that the LS56 would be suitable saves me money and worry! Sinarch,glad to hear that there is still a noticeable difference when using the higher end pres. I have thought about the Apollo as well but limited funds mean limited choices at the moment! But definitely am considering it! I will also look into the black lion mod as well. Thanks!
Jimsi, I had originally planned on getting the 40 but fell for the liquid channels. This was before coming across the Avalon. But I understand your point. Helge, thank you form your opinion. Gives me some peace of mind. As I have decided to focus on vocals,I am planning on upgrading a mic or two depending on finances. I currently have a couple of mxls,spark,bluebird,at4040,2 sm57s,a rode nt1a and a mohave MA201. Mainly inexpensive mics with a couple of exception s. But I am saving and budgeting to pick up a tlm 49 to use as my main vocal mic. Any better suggestions mic wise? Any thoughts on the whole "different flavors" approach?

Sent from my Nexus 7
📝 Reply