Quantcast
500 series Alternate to 1073 style preamp - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
500 series Alternate to 1073 style preamp
Old 28th January 2013
  #1
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
500 series Alternate to 1073 style preamp

I bought the Golden Age pre-573 and it is amazing. I want to get another 500 series preamp that is cleaner in the $500 or less range. Any suggestions?

I was considering the api 512c but they are $700.
Old 28th January 2013
  #2
Gear Addict
 
skinnypete's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Lindell or Warm Audio
Old 28th January 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
James Lehmann's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
DAV BG501
Old 28th January 2013
  #4
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
@skinny thanks, I am considering both. Any word on which preamps they are modeled after or are they their own sound?
Old 28th January 2013
  #5
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
@James: that preamp has some interesting specs. Which preamp is this modeled after?
Old 28th January 2013
  #6
Gear Addict
 
skinnypete's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by npinero1 ➑️
@skinny thanks, I am considering both. Any word on which preamps they are modeled after or are they their own sound?
WA-12 = API-ish
The eq in the Lindell is Pultec-ish, not sure about the pre section.

Sent from my Droid
Old 29th January 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
aclarson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypete ➑️
WA-12 = API-ish
The eq in the Lindell is Pultec-ish, not sure about the pre section.

Sent from my Droid
I know the Lindell uses 990 style opamps, which would be kinda like the John Hardy/Jensen Twin Servo style. That's known as a pristine clean kinda sound. I think in practice the Lindell's are a more weighty clean sound with a touch of color, kinda like the API but cleaner.

There, that explanation was clear as mud. :-)

Seems like a good match with your 573.
Old 29th January 2013
  #8
Gear Addict
 
skinnypete's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarson ➑️
I know the Lindell uses 990 style opamps, which would be kinda like the John Hardy/Jensen Twin Servo style. That's known as a pristine clean kinda sound. I think in practice the Lindell's are a more weighty clean sound with a touch of color, kinda like the API but cleaner.

There, that explanation was clear as mud. :-)

Seems like a good match with your 573.
Haha I noticed the 990 opamps, and thought of the Hardys, but I didnt want to put my foot in my mouth. Sounds like I assumed correctly, this time.

Sent from my Droid
Old 29th January 2013
  #9
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Cool, the Lindell it is then, thanks!
Old 29th January 2013
  #10
Gear Guru
 
NathanEldred's Avatar
 
7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Black Lion Auteur for $349. Great company that's been around quite a while.

πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5783 views: 1867204
Avatar for Jeroko
Jeroko 2 days ago
replies: 78 views: 29032
Avatar for OolalavSuperfukk
OolalavSuperfukk 27th February 2013
replies: 56 views: 17046
Avatar for ejsongs
ejsongs 20th April 2019
replies: 2 views: 1475
Avatar for dullfangs
dullfangs 20th October 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump