Quantcast
Kick Port: worst product ever?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kick Port: worst product ever??
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Kick Port: worst product ever??

Several drummers I've recorded recently came in with the $39 plastic bass port stuck on their kick drum head. I've tried to record with this on and, thankfully I had a trigger on the drum to salvage the session. I hate to rely on triggers. I only use them as a backup or sparingly to enhance an already decent drum sound. But this Kick Port makes it impossible to get the mic where you need it. Cant get enough click out the drum for hard rock music. I can only imagine that live engineers hate them as much as I do.

The drummer I recorded yesterday had one and didn't want to take it off. He had a beautiful new Tama kit and the toms sounded amazing. I couldn't get anything useable from the kick drum without putting a 57 on the beater head. I think he's going to get 90% sampled kick sound.

What has been others' experience with this and how do you handle it?
Can I nominate the Kick Port for Worst Product Ever?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyMonkey ➑️
Several drummers I've recorded recently came in with the $39 plastic bass port stuck on their kick drum head. I've tried to record with this on and, thankfully I had a trigger on the drum to salvage the session. I hate to rely on triggers. I only use them as a backup or sparingly to enhance an already decent drum sound. But this Kick Port makes it impossible to get the mic where you need it. Cant get enough click out the drum for hard rock music. I can only imagine that live engineers hate them as much as I do.

The drummer I recorded yesterday had one and didn't want to take it off. He had a beautiful new Tama kit and the toms sounded amazing. I couldn't get anything useable from the kick drum without putting a 57 on the beater head. I think he's going to get 90% sampled kick sound.

What has been others' experience with this and how do you handle it?
Can I nominate the Kick Port for Worst Product Ever?
It's an okay product. Not really mycup of tea but you can get decent sounds with them.

The real problem is the drummer refusing to let you do your job. I mean, we wouldn't nominate felt beaters as the worst product ever because we want lot's of click and the drummer refuses to use plastic ones.
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, other drummers have taken them off, but it's a pain and it knd of destroys the Kick Port. I guess it does project more bass when with no mic on the drum which is why they like them for practice. But I think they need to wrap their head around the idea that the sound they hear on their favorite albums doesn't come from a $39 Kick Port. To be honest, Yesterday was the first time someone didn't remove it when I asked. I though, well I can work around it. But listening back to the tracks this morning and doing some quick EQ, I don't think I can make it sound good.

That's a good idea too.. I should have a pair of my own plastic beaters on hand.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
And putting the 57 on the beater side as you said isn't a bad idea. I've seen that work well for pure click. Just make sure the pedal doesn't squeak.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I personally don't like them, because I can tune my kick drum to sound good without it. I know some guys who swear by them for smaller kicks (20" diameter and under).

I've heard the same kick with and without, and if you're standing right next to it there's an audible difference.... For live work I can understand, even mic'd (because most live "engineers" just stick a 52 halfway in the port anyway. I did a gig a few months ago without a hole in the resonant head, and the sound guy was so confused as to where to stick the mic...)

Anyway, they have no place in the studio IMO. Another gimmick marketed towards people who can't (or won't) take the time to learn to tune properly. Aaron Miller also hit the nail on the head in regards to the drummer not letting you do your job.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

To answer the OP: Yes; yes it is.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Don't like them, at all!
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
was at Namm yesterday looking at that product..did nothing to make the kick any punchier.
if anything it was choking up the drum more with it on.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone ever tried to install one of these on the bottom head of one of their toms? Now that might be interesting...
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've seen these work wonders on small kick drums for live use, no mics. Never tried recording with it though.
Old 8th October 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I personally like my kickport. Ive had nothing but compliments on the way my bass drum sounds live AND in the studio. The room mic really captures the beef of it. As far as not being able to get a good sound from it in the studio like some of you have posted??? Hmmmmm...... I honestly dont know why. Maybe try a different mic maybe?
Im not sure on the new fx series. Cutting holes in my batter heads sounds kind of risky, but i cant judge till I hear it.
Old 12th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What planet are these comments coming from? I own a recording studio and 4 music stores. And in MY humble opinion the Kickport is the greatest invention since sliced bread. (I am the owner of Sneak Attack Studio not the Engineer ) tens of thousands of drummers add a Kickports to their kit every year and they all seem to like them. Yes you can always process and reprocess sound but starting out with more sound is better . Much like having a bigger negative (ok more pixels now) for photography . Not only dose the Kickport add an additional octave below the drum kit but it adds an octave below the entire band. HUGE DIFFERENCE and the thing is like $40. Think ports in a speaker.
Old 12th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakattack ➑️
What planet are these comments coming from? I own a recording studio and 4 music stores. And in MY humble opinion the Kickport is the greatest invention since sliced bread. (I am the owner of Sneak Attack Studio not the Engineer ) tens of thousands of drummers add a Kickports to their kit every year and they all seem to like them. Yes you can always process and reprocess sound but starting out with more sound is better . Much like having a bigger negative (ok more pixels now) for photography . Not only dose the Kickport add an additional octave below the drum kit but it adds an octave below the entire band. HUGE DIFFERENCE and the thing is like $40. Think ports in a speaker.
Speaker ports are cut into the solid part of the speaker, not the resonating medium (would you cut a hole in the cone of a speaker?).

Have a read here: there is significant discussion as to how useful/non-useful this product is... Drummer Cafe - Community Forum | The KickPort - drum insert
Old 12th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I love the KP on my 22" kick. I use a Beta 91a inside the drum for attack and click. and yes the room mics love the extra boom!
Old 12th November 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=ivmike;9585377]Speaker ports are cut into the solid part of the speaker, not the resonating medium (would you cut a hole in the cone of a speaker?).

No but I would put a dampener on the front head like everyone else in the entire world.

Well again I am a bass player not a drummer but I do have two ears . (well and they are tuned into bass notes) . I walked by the kickport booth at NAMM and heard them hit the bass drum . I walked up and said "what is that ? I'll take a dozen " Since then I have sold hundreds of them and we even put them on all of our rental kits.
So far this thread is the very first negative comment ever.

And I will say this again. We do sound work for festivals etc. And the entire band sounds better with this piece of plastic in the bass drum .

Yes we can use a parametric to bulge the bass drum but starting out with the note is a MUCH better way to get the effect.

It all boils down to this. Which is better blonds or red heads, Fords or Chevys?

(Well red heads and Chevys actually freckles are soooo cute )
Old 12th November 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Fords and blondes.

Isn't there a kick port equivalent for acoustic guitar? Is it as equally terrible?
Old 13th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike ➑️
Speaker ports are cut into the solid part of the speaker, not the resonating medium (would you cut a hole in the cone of a speaker?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakattack ➑️
No but I would put a dampener on the front head like everyone else in the entire world.

Well again I am a bass player not a drummer but I do have two ears . (well and they are tuned into bass notes) . I walked by the kickport booth at NAMM and heard them hit the bass drum . I walked up and said "what is that ? I'll take a dozen " Since then I have sold hundreds of them and we even put them on all of our rental kits.
So far this thread is the very first negative comment ever.

And I will say this again. We do sound work for festivals etc. And the entire band sounds better with this piece of plastic in the bass drum .

Yes we can use a parametric to bulge the bass drum but starting out with the note is a MUCH better way to get the effect.

It all boils down to this. Which is better blonds or red heads, Fords or Chevys?

(Well red heads and Chevys actually freckles are soooo cute )
This thread is not the first; the thread on Drummer CafΓ© was the first and might I add, right out of the gate, during the product's launch. That site has many of the industry's top session drummers posting there and those gentlemen did not find that it improved anything. And they play drums for a living.

If you want a "parametric bulge" as you called it, shove a Shure Beta 52 into the bass drum.

Quote:
That is a ridiculous statement. The entire band? How on earth could a $40 piece of plastic (as you called it) make the vocalist better; the guitar player better; the bassist better; the keyboardist better or even the backing singers better? Your post smacks of hyperbole and salesmanship; I think that I can understand why; you bought a bunch of these and are trying to sell them to customers even if they don't work.

This product is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. You'd be better off using a sub-kick/mic combination if you want those low subs that the Kickport claims to create.
Old 23rd November 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I can tell you guys that you have to have the drummer who knows what and how to do the kick port thing i am a studio drummer and have tried it all, i really am liking the ports on my drums ,lets start with my sizes 26x14 kick reso i use the port on a remo p3
and on the batter side of the kick i use the fx2 port ,now if the tech in a big studio asked me to take the front head off i would but with how i have it set up it sounds big and bad ass, i have played all styles with this set up.next tom 1 13x9 remo black suede on batter and black reso 10 mil on reso with the fx1 port on the reso, same heads on my 16 and 18 floor toms.And finally my ludwig black b snare 6.5x14 batter is the remo coated x14 with a fx1 on the head.Fat when you want it, or snappy tuned about 3E.

Last edited by AKCSTUDIO; 23rd November 2015 at 06:02 AM..
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Same outfit makes the Cajon Port, and I just put one in Friday. It adds just what I hoped, a solid bump in the low end on a drum you can't tune any other way. I have a D6 1 inch outside the port, thru a Joe Meek 3Q, about 8 db of compression, [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected]

It has a lot more authority w the port in place. Still working on the front (snare) mic and placement. 58 and MeekJM27 (came w the 3Q), thru a GAP 73, definitely not there yet. Phase issues affect placement, and it wants to feed back early, (HF scatter off the front plane?), needs more EQ than the monitor console offers.

I'd highly recommend the Port, for this application, though.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My impression of the kick port was that it adds in the 200 range, which makes it harder to coexist with the bass guitar, but the drum by itself sounds really punchy.
Old 23rd November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like 'em, especially for live. Was in a session once where the engineer was not happy with where the kickport was located...so he pulled out one of his (self) ported 22" heads and put it on. Drummers happy they dont accidentally screw up the head by taking it out and engineer is happy because he gets what he wants. Win Win.
πŸ“ Reply