Quantcast
Which mic would be best for male vocals? Rode NT1-A, Luna, Solaris... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which mic would be best for male vocals? Rode NT1-A, Luna, Solaris...
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Which mic would be best for male vocals? Rode NT1-A, Luna, Solaris...

Hello,

I'm just doing a research of which mic will suit my needs best. I mean male vocals. What I do is a quite agressive, dirty sound which consists of subtle detail that needs to be reproduced properly.

Heres one of my songs. The vocals were captured with a Shure PG57 and I think my voice suffered severely in terms of detail and clarity (If you have three spare minutes, take your time to listen) https://soundcloud.com/mystovski/mystovski-titanics

At the moment I take into consideration those mics:
  • RØDE NT1-A (I'm afraid this would be too bright...)
  • M-Audio Luna (I'm afraid this would be too dark, like a "backing vox mic")
  • M-Audio Solaris
I love the natural sounding stuff, I'm often allergic to the very high end of some microphones - even in commercial songs. So the transformer inside M-Audio microphones seems to be really "in plus"....

I think we would focus on the actual qualities of those mic, what a particular mic is like. Usually all those statements like "Rode rox", "rode sucks" are not really helpful.

Money is a concern. I'd like to spend equiv. of 230 dollars max. Take into consideration some mics are unavailable in my country but I can order from the german shop you probably know: Thomann.de
Old 25th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi There....I thought someone should say something.

I would focus on the Solaris first and then the Rode. Both good mics for the price and it depends on how your voice works with them....Good Luck
Old 25th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I know i'm new at this, but i like my Rode mics. I plug them in, turn on the phantom power, hit record and they sound like whatever i put in front of them. I'm actually curious why so many people here are so anti Rode...

Erin
Old 25th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negativepayne ➑️
.... hit record and they sound like whatever i put in front of them. I'm actually curious why so many people here are so anti Rode...
Yeah it's a personal thing I guess... I have a couple of Rodes ... the latest being the cheap M3 and it's a great mic and not just for the money.

I have a Solaris and I think it does something pretty special for vocals. Pretty versatile too.
Old 25th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Man, it's hard to not recommend the NT1-A. Awesome mic for vocals.
Old 25th February 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
What about an audio technica at2035, fairly neutral sounding mic and not bright like the rode. You can pick it up for cheaper than your budget and actually sounds really good for the money.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansweeney ➑️
What about an audio technica at2035, fairly neutral sounding mic and not bright like the rode. You can pick it up for cheaper than your budget and actually sounds really good for the money.
Not a bad choice... very good value for the money. Again it's a personal thing.

I had one and it was good on quite a few things, but it was neutral to the point that I wanted a bit more character for vocals.

Although it doesn't include the Rode 1A, this mic shootout does have the 2035 and the Solaris.....the mic key is a fair way down the posts... but you get to hear opinions.

Mic shootout – 6 condensers from $120 – $1900 – Female vocals
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey77 ➑️
Not a bad choice... very good value for the money. Again it's a personal thing.

I had one and it was good on quite a few things, but it was neutral to the point that I wanted a bit more character for vocals.

Although it doen't include the Rode 1A, this mic shootout does have the 2035 and the Solaris.....the mic key is a fair way down the posts... but you get to hear opinions.

Mic shootout – 6 condensers from $120 – $1900 – Female vocals
Nice shootout, I was surprised how well some of the cheaper mics sounded against the 4060/414, although the preamp wouldnt have brought out their full potential IMO.

I have the 2035 myself and use it on guitar and vocals. I tend to have to mix it a little to get the vocals to stand out more, but ive often preferred it to the nta1 on my own voice (sounded really essy :/).

Kel Audio would be another great mic company to check out. the HM-2D is right in your pricerange ($199) and a lot of people here rave about it. "A somewhat dark, dynamic sounding condenser" from what I can gather, never used one though.

Maybe the OP might benefit from a dynamic? Used Beyrdynamic m88TG/Heil PR35?
Old 25th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I can vouch for the KEL HM-2D, on the darker side but definitely beefs up the mid range on vocals and is real smooth....

CL

Sent from my SGH-T959
πŸ“ Reply