The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which microphone next?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Which microphone next?

hi all,

looking for opinions, comments, suggestions and/or advice for my next mic selection. i currently have

Shure Sm7b
Sony handheld dynamic
Nady omni sdc
Cascade long ribbon

the zen pro audio clip-a-lator has been getting lots of rotations from me. i like the sound of the blue baby bottle because it's not too bright and I also like the beyer m201 because it's superbly balanced. i'm running my mics thru a dav bg1. i record strictly vocals.

Does anyone think that an ldc is more of the way to go or should I strictly go off what I think sounds the best which is the beyer m201? I'm not recording anything professionally by the way. budget is about 2 fitty, three hundred.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Wildwood Dreamland works vividly with voice. I've had lots of other high-end mics (Neumann, Schoeps, etc.) and these are very musical, and inexpensive. Odyssey Pro Sound has them for sale (Music Recording Studio Equipment - New, Used, Vintage Pro Audio Recording Equipment) - I think they list on the site for $250, but I heard they've got an introductory thing for $200; and you can demo them for free as well.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks interesting. I'm a big fan of having something different in the arsenal than the next man. I'd really like to hear it on a vocal to see if it's worth my time. Can you provide a description of its sound? Should another omni be on my list? Do I need to be considerate of what I already have or should I just trust my ears?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
bump me please. I'm trying to have some fun but I'm only getting cricket chirps. tough crowd.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Sputnik seems to get a lot of love as a bright but balanced pop mic. Used $500. The blue reactor is supposedly okay for hip-hop.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I feel like the Heil PR30 is a sort of modern 441. Clean, clear, articulate. Still definitely dynamic but open and relaxed on top. I'd put that and the Beyerdynamic toward the sharp end of the list.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what kind of songs are you singing ...mellow or harder rock stuff.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you want to broaden your toolset I'd look at it this way.

-You have a fine dynamic mic in the SM7....if you didn't I'd recommend the M201.
-You have a Cascade ribbon mic, so the ribbon thing is covered.
-If your Nady SDC omni is anything like the Nady I once had, you could use some help in the condenser department. That's where I would go next.

If I had to get by with a single condenser mic, I'd probably get a LDC first. You have lots of good choices in that category, including the BLUE Baby Bottle. I like my CAD M-9, Audio Technica AT4040, 4033, and 4050. If you can, try some out before you buy.
Old 27th January 2013
Deleted f25ebd2
You're missing a strong cardioid LDC. Got any example music to show what you are going for and how your voice sits?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Phew, I thought this thread was lost in the history of time. Thanks for the suggestions folks. I make old school rap music. Check out my attachment. Actually the Nady mic is quite useable with the set up I have. I mainly use it for background vocals. I'm not recording any choirs or anything like that so it does the job for me pretty well. I don't think I need much more in that department although there is certainly room for improvement. If you really must know it's the CM100 reference mic.

I definitely have been leaning towards an LDC. I did some research on the Blue Baby Bottle but I'm second guessing it after some listening. I don't think it will fit in a mix very well. The Sputnik is going to be out of my reach. Sure I can raid my savings account but I personally would rather not spend that much. I've noticed the MXL 3000 and I'm looking to see what kind of deal I can get on it. From the little I've heard I am quite impressed with the smooth warmness, simplicity and beauty of its sound. Some examples I've heard have some sibilance but I'm expecting that from a chinese made condenser and I'm confident with my setup that it's not going to be a problem. I'm not looking for perfection, I just need something that works to my satisfaction. Anyone have any experience with the MXL 4000? that looks pretty interesting as well.
Attached Files

mysterious dreams.mp3 (4.41 MB, 323 views)

Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
ADK Odin is very versatile
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I can definitely recommend the m201. A solid mic that does almost everything pretty well.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximo ➑️
I can definitely recommend the m201. A solid mic that does almost everything pretty well.
You know that m201 might be a little too good for my situation. I think it could probably take the place of several of my current microphones and I would really hate to do that I feel like it would be great for all around recording on instruments but the only instrument I have is a saxophone and I'd rather use a ribbon. I might have to come back to m201 later on or something even though to my ears I love it on vocals. Am I letting ideals get in the way with this decision? Of course an all around mic locker is useful but am I letting that get in the way of following and trusting my ears?

I've heard some of the ADK stuff and they sound good too but there's nothing in this price range that really grabs my attention the way the MXL 3000 does. It's got this modern sound to it. You would think from the frequency chart that it would be extra high on the top end but it actually sounds quite good.
Old 27th January 2013
Deleted f25ebd2
Sounds like you've kind of made up your mind. Also based on what you uploaded I'd say you have your needs covered already as that lo fi sound fit the song pretty well. Nonetheless, what's your budget? Are there any reference tracks from other people you would like to approach the sound of?
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
as previously stated the budget is around $250-300. I honestly am not trying to sound like anything but myself really. I have experience with other types of condensers from the AT 4033, AT 4047, Shure KSM 44, KSM 32, Oktava 319 and they all sound great. I guess I'd rather have my money spread out over a more diversified field. Some of the mics I've messed with are on the low-low end but i tell you what, I have yet to experience any professional microphone that was not at least useable. I'm still searching so if you have any suggestions I could experiment with then let me know about that too LOL.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
EV635. Dirt cheap and would be a nice compliment to what you already have for vocals.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Have you considered the MXL 2003a/Cr24 camp? The Oktava M319 can be had around $150 used if you're seeking a darker alternative. My $0.02
Old 27th January 2013
Deleted f25ebd2
Ah sorry for missing the price range earlier...

I'm a bit confused as to what you are looking for though... What do you feel you want to add to your current palette? Bright? (Can o') Warm(s)? Hi-Fi? Detailed? Hashy?
Old 27th January 2013
Deleted f25ebd2
FWIW, I think this may have been the last LDC in that price range that I was pretty impressed by: Avantone Pro CK-7 | RecordingHacks.com. Don't see a lot of mention of it, but it sounded pretty good to me.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
These are all good suggestions guys, I appreciate it. I had the EV 635 at one point and I wish I never sold it. I didn't realize how useful of a mic it was until it was gone. But I actually a/b'ed it with the Nady omni I have now and I like the Nady better. Had the Oktava 319 too but I don't regret selling that one. It's a little dry sounding. I suppose it could be good for certain applications but it wasn't suited to my taste.

I figure I could use a not-too-bright solid state LDC with a smooth top end with some color to it. I don't need anything fancy. I fell in love with the modern sound of the mxl 3000. Is there anything else that would be a similar flavor? I'm willing to spend $500 but it's going to have to be for something that will wow me. No a KSM 32 doesn't wow me. It's a great utility workhorse mic but IMO it's too boring. I'm also looking at the mxl 4000 and 4000xl. I've heard a few other models like the v67 but not the 2003a. I'll probably eventually run into it as I continue to see what else could compliment what I already have. I'll also look into the Avantone. My mentality is that I am not really going to tell too much of a difference between LDC's until i go about $500 higher in the price range. Am I wrong?
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The sound of the Wildwood is detailed, complete, and with a very musical texture. I'm still learning about it, but it's got me enthused in a way that I haven't been for a long while. Great looking as well.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well I did some serious research on the Avantone CK6/7 and I really liked them. There is very sparse information available. I'm still hooked on the MXL 3000 but I see a few deals that could be had on the 4000 as well. From a business standpoint the MXL is a no-brainer. I really don't want to buy a brand new Avantone or Dreamland mic and then have to take a hit if I decide to sell. I can get either one of the MXL's used. I still prefer the sound of the MXL over the other competitors though I do have to say the CK7 was excellent as well. I'm also thinking I should maybe hold onto to my money for now and not even have an LDC but this is gearslutz so why bother?
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by prizebeatz1 ➑️
I might have to come back to m201 later on or something even though to my ears I love it on vocals. Am I letting ideals get in the way with this decision? Of course an all around mic locker is useful but am I letting that get in the way of following and trusting my ears?

Trust your ears dude. If it sounds good to you then it is good.

Stick an m201 behind a pop screen and there's no reason it can't perform as well as any "vocal" mic, if not better than a lot of them.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximo ➑️
Trust your ears dude. If it sounds good to you then it is good.

Stick an m201 behind a pop screen and there's no reason it can't perform as well as any "vocal" mic, if not better than a lot of them.
that's my instinct about the whole thing but then there's this "unspoken" thought that i HAVE to have an LDC in my collection. FWIW the MXL 4000 is on the way. I realized after they sent me the receipt that there's no shock mount. But I got such a great deal on it so I also ordered an SM57 along with it which I'm sure will not just be in the category of 'mic of the month' as with the MXL. Now I need to figure out a way to get that M201. Does anyone think that will be overkill if i already have the sm57? I mean, how good does a microphone really have to be to get the job done? (Please don't crucify me for not being the biggest gearslut out there LOL)
Old 30th January 2013
Deleted f25ebd2
As you should know, based on the clip you included here, many different tones from different microphones can be made to work in the right situation. sm57 will sound more or less like your sm7 with the 'presence boost' on. Real bright middy and kind of weird, but sometimes just right. An m201 seems to be a different tonality, more broadband and treble oriented. An LDC will sound different from dynamics in more than just the frequency domain, as the large capacitor transducer will have a different physical reaction to the sound waves. Have fun!
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
57, e609, md421.

All useful.
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just an update fwiw. Got the MXL 4000 in earlier this week and my first impression was that it sounded boxy. I gave it some time to work with it and I find that it's actually a pretty decent sounding mic for what it's worth. It's not overly hyped at all and it has just the right amount of color to it.

I'm trying to see what else is out there that can compete with the MXL 4000. I was looking pretty hard at the ADK Thor but then I saw the frequency curve of the S-7 which I take would be somewhat similar. Please see the attachment. Is it me or does it look like some drunk kid took a crayon and went random on it? I'm kind of turned off by this freq chart and I am not finding any vocal samples for the ADK to see how it would sound. Can anyone give any recommendations, thoughts, opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Which microphone next?-0611.png  
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I would go with the M201 - you like it, and it's definitely a pretty versatile and good sounding mic as well. If you want something different, I would try to find someone with a Audio Technica AT4033 and give it a listen. A great mic as well, and a different kind of flavour...
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I would highly recommend a Cascade VIN-JET. This is a high quality ribbon microphone that isn't too expensive. You need to be careful with ribbons (they can't be exposed directly to high SPL or the ribbon can bust), but they sound oh so beautiful.

I did a shootout at a pro studio with a mix engineer several months back including the Cascade VIN-JET (Ribbon), a Shure SM-57 Beta (Dynamic), and an AKG c414c (Condenser, modified) and you can hear the results if you check out the post. This is it here.

Frankly, nothing sounds quite as raw, real, and organic as a good ribbon microphone matched up with the right preamp. I think we found the best results going through either the Chandler Germanium or the Vintech 473. You might not be able to afford those, but even a decent GAP Pre-73 or something like that would work. heh
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by prizebeatz1 ➑️
Just an update fwiw. Got the MXL 4000 in earlier this week and my first impression was that it sounded boxy. I gave it some time to work with it and I find that it's actually a pretty decent sounding mic for what it's worth. It's not overly hyped at all and it has just the right amount of color to it.

I'm trying to see what else is out there that can compete with the MXL 4000. I was looking pretty hard at the ADK Thor but then I saw the frequency curve of the S-7 which I take would be somewhat similar. Please see the attachment. Is it me or does it look like some drunk kid took a crayon and went random on it? I'm kind of turned off by this freq chart and I am not finding any vocal samples for the ADK to see how it would sound. Can anyone give any recommendations, thoughts, opinions?
As for ADK, have many Adk mics, although most that I own they don't make anymore, that should tell you something about their "mic of the month" mentality there. The ones I have I do like, like an early Vienna and Hamburg model, but again you'd have to find them used. I think they have more discontinued mics than they currently even offer. I have tried for over a year to get samples from the owner, he says he's been recording jazz, rock, and classical, for 4 decades yet they don't have any of their own sound samples. I just gave up. I'd rather stick to a company that has solid designs that don't constantly disappear.

I have and use the baby bottle, v69, and other mics you list. The thing I like about a little darker non Chinese capsule hi freq boost, is that when you use compression the darker mic like the baby bottle sounds even better where the " instant gratification" mics like ADK seem to get a bit harsh and nasty, but some guys like that. It has it's uses. That high end becomes problematic. I think that's why the U87 works so well for those that know how to use it. If you compare it to an "instant gratification" mic it can sound dull by comparison, but treat it with some compression , there's still room for eq, and it just becomes a thing of beauty in the mix. And the mix is where it's most important. SM7 same thing, you develop a real appreciation for subtlety.

Good suggestions here, best of luck!
πŸ“ Reply