8 pres < $2000 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
8 pres < $2000
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
8 pres < $2000

I'm getting ready to sell my focusrite pro 40 and get myself a nicer converter. The only problem is when you get nice converters they don't have on board pre amps. I want something a step up from my focusrites , but I can't seem to find anything that isn't below $500 for 8 pre amps or above $2500. Any ideas? I have an unfinished 7th circle rack and I could build their t15. That is $100 for each unfinished pre, but is it a step up from focusrites octopre range?
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If clean pres are what you're looking for, I have a True Systems P8 and they sound amazing! I love anything I put through them. Lots of gain, M/S encoding, etc and keeps the source sounding "true". picked mine up used for about 1600.00
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have a Metric Halo 2882 which you can regularly get at $1895 and at $1650ish whenever they do one of their sales (which they constantly do...).

Limitations: It isn't cutting edge technology anymore but it sounds fantastic and, more importantly, the pres are quite noisy if you add more than ~25dB of gain. So if you work with a lot of ribbon mics, it might not be for you... if it's just 1-2 low output mics, you could always get a nice dedicated pre for those... oh, and it's Mac only.

The RME Fireface 800 and Apogee Ensemble have 4 pres, I think. I'm not sure how far that'll get you? That said, they're a bit below the $2000 limitations so you have a few bucks left for pres.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
True System 8 is a good shout, but so is the Audient ASP008, which has equivalent sound quality and quite a few more features.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1 on the Audient ASP-008.

Check if they still sell them without the ADAT card, which you obviously won't need with your new converters.

Do a search on here - lots of folk have written useful feedback on this unit and other 8-ch pre's, like in this thread for example.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Thanks for the link to the thread. I had tried searching but the search function on the iPhone app is not very good
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had the audient and the digi pre in here to a/b and thought the digi pre was amazing for the price. The Digi pre was a little more balanced and smooth compared to the audient for me. The Digi doesn't get much talk because of it being a digidesign (avid) product but it's really great sounding. I actually think the pre's inside are focusrite (someone correct me if I'm wrong). You can get one used for $750 and have cash left over for some mic upgrades or something.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Why not finish your Seventh Circle rack? A lot of people consider their gear to be "desert island" kit. Even if you build 8 @ $100, you're still well under $2K
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
two sytek MPX4A's
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm actually leaning towards a midas venice u24 now since its only a few hundred bucks more and I get a console. Any thoughts? Any idea how those pres hold up against the ones mentioned so far?
πŸ“ Reply