Quantcast
DBX-3BX Series III (any use in my home studio?) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DBX-3BX Series III (any use in my home studio?)
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
DBX-3BX Series III (any use in my home studio?)

I know what the DBX 3BX Series III was designed for and I will never need it for its intended purposes. So my question then is would it ever serve me any purpose in my rack with all my analogue compressors, preamps, etc? I am pretty sure I know the answer (no), but you folks here are brilliant and I am wondering if I am missing something.

I need money, and am about to sell my DBX 3BX Series III, but the darn things are very collectable to many people and just too cool to see in the rack with all the other gear. But cool looking gear that I never will use does not feed me.

I know some people suggest using it to bring more life/impact to samples that are lofi, or smashed with compression....but I am not into that type of music personally, and if I were working with an artist that was, and used such samples, I believe I can just use one of the couple expanders built in to my DBX compressors, or certainly somewhere in the 100s of WAVES plugins, will serve that purpose? I realize the DBX 3BX III has a one of a kind sound, it's 'impact control' is seems sought after by many. But really, how often would the need arise? I am sure creative use of my other DBX expanders or plug ins will get the job done, right?

Is there some use for the DBX 3BX III in a project studio that I am just not thinking of? I would be grateful if anyone would help me. I need to sell it, I am hungry, but I will starve if there is some awesome audio property to this puppy that I have somehow missed in my research. thank you
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Somewhere here on GearSlutz (can't find it because the new Search Beta sucks!) I summarized my experience using a 3BX in the recording studio as something like "I have an album I released in 1983 that's a textbook example of why not to use a dbx 3BX in the recording studio."

Just think about what it does, and what it was designed to do...and then think about how those goals are antithetical to what contemporary engineers strive for in their productions.

Sell it.
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I've pretty much come to that conclusion but you never know what you may find out on gearslutz. Thank you for the response.
Old 17th March 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
i think theres use for them if you have a tape machine in your setup.I dont anymore so im selling mine(great condition, best price)
Old 21st October 2018
Here for the gear

How much?
๐Ÿ“ Reply