Quantcast
if you liked the Little Blondie mics ... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...

I had read the copious pages on the Little Blondie mics here on the GS Forum (over 800 posts!) and the testimonials were compelling.

Having most of my decades of experience with vintage Neumann and Schoeps mics, I had a strong sense of good sound (or, sound that appealed to me, and others). Given the enthusiasm from a host of sources about these new-to-me electret microphones, I was enthusiastic to try them.

In my attempts to learn of their origins (the fellow selling them was not the maker) I located the maker - Wildwood Microphones - and learned that they had been continually refined, were handmade one-at-a-time by hand in the U.S. by one person, the bodies fashioned from select hardwoods (mine are mahogany, and zebrawood!), and, like the Little Blondies, very modestly priced.

They were (and currently are) available through Odyssey Pro Sound (Music Recording Studio Equipment - New, Used, Vintage Pro Audio Recording Equipment) - reputable dealer Paul Savasta's high-end pro audio company of many years. As the description on the Odyssey website wisely notes (' ... don't take our word for it, try them'), I decided I wouldn't know anything until I experienced them. I ordered one of the Dreamland mics and was simply SHOCKED at my experience. The sound quality was wildly inconsistent with the price, not to mention the visual aesthetics - sensitively-designed and attentively well-made. Very beautiful on all accounts!

I tried it on voice, acoustic guitar, acoustic drums, acoustic piano, electric bass, (have yet to try it on electric guitar), and each source was vivid and engaging. I thought perhaps it was just the day, or that I wasn't hearing it properly - surely it couldn't sound this good (and for so cheap!). But the next day, my experience was replicated. I went back and found some recordings I had made with my classic mics, and was, again SHOCKED. They have a detail and texture that is really musical - quite beautiful.

I then learned that these mics (earlier incarnations) are in many professional studios -especially in Nashville. Steven Spielberg uses them (and personally owns several). One studio guitarist brought his own while recording at Blackbird (!!!).

So, just a heads-up on these new Wildwood mics. I'll try and put some photos up of them in use in my teaching studio in the coming days. There are photos at the Odyssey website.

I'll be ordering more.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Great post, thanks for the info.

Have you tried the xlr-encased mic yet?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They're nice sounding mics as far as sonic capture goes, but wow, the self noise on the ones I owned were ridiculous. You could literally hear the electricity flowing through them like water in a hose. I also didn't care for how high you had to crank the gain on those things. Omnis didn't work too well in my room either. I prefer the in your face punch you get with cardioids on acoustic guitars. I got rid of mine after a few months. Sorry, just didn't care for them compared to my modded Oktava 012s.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have tried the XLR-encased version - it works nicely as well, just doesn't have all of the dimension of the Dreamland, but of the same family.

The Dreamland is not a noisy mic - is that the one you tried, or were you referring to the Little Blondie mic? Indeed, omnis are different than the cardioids, and in certain environments I could see them being difficult. I didn't notice any loss of presence ('punch') with the Dreamland compared to high-end cardioids.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The ones I tried were the little XLR versions. Very noisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitreouswindows ➑️
I have tried the XLR-encased version - it works nicely as well, just doesn't have all of the dimension of the Dreamland, but of the same family.

The Dreamland is not a noisy mic - is that the one you tried, or were you referring to the Little Blondie mic? Indeed, omnis are different than the cardioids, and in certain environments I could see them being difficult. I didn't notice any loss of presence ('punch') with the Dreamland compared to high-end cardioids.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Though it sounds like you're pretty happy with your modded Oktava mics (I've a pro acoustic guitar colleague that has these and likes them a lot), and given your experience with the XLR-styled mics, you're likely less enthusiastic to try one of the Dreamlands. But I'm having very good experiences with mine. I think it's a really frugal way to get lovely sound, and a neat vibe for the studio as well.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Would you say the Dreamland mic is as quiet as an Audio Technica?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My experience with Audio Technica line is that they work very nicely in many situations (depending upon the mic/source/room combination), but to my ears they lack personality. I owned one several years ago, and recorded an album with one of their inexpensive models many years ago (and liked what it did).

The Dreamland has a different texture and detail, that, as I noted, is musical and pleasing. I have had no adverse experiences with it being noisy whatsoever. But, like most things, your best option is to try one. Odyssey has demo mics, so for the modest cost of shipping (they weigh next-to-nothing) you can try one for a day or two. Trying it will give you the most decisive answer.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
BTW, I couldn't resist ordering one of the Dreamland mics on a demo deal. I don't think I'll actually receive it until late next week though. Looking forward to hearing it. Thanks again for the info. I'll chime in FWIW on what I think about the mic and the service from Odyssey as a dealer.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets ➑️
BTW, I couldn't resist ordering one of the Dreamland mics on a demo deal. I don't think I'll actually receive it until late next week though. Looking forward to hearing it. Thanks again for the info. I'll chime in FWIW on what I think about the mic and the service from Odyssey as a dealer.
Make sure to remember letting us know!
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm hoping to get some photos up this weekend. And, indeed, note your perceptions once you've had a chance to use it.

Uniquely enough, I heard from one fellow that did a quick comparison to his original ElaM 251 - while this classic mic had a depth and body all through its range, he noted that the Dreamland had a unique detail in the top-end that really worked for him - clarity without any harshness. Interesting.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I heard from one fellow that did a quick comparison to his original ElaM 251 - while this classic mic had a depth and body all through its range, he noted that the Dreamland had a unique detail in the top-end that really worked for him - clarity without any harshness. Interesting.
That's the guy I talked to yesterday, at Odyssey.

He said of course the Elam clearly was the choice, but the Dreamland still showed a pleasurable quality. Not a fair or reasonable comparison really, but interesting.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted f25ebd2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 ➑️
The ones I tried were the little XLR versions. Very noisy.
Dude, you get infatuated like crazy then dump em like they're a bad case of the clap... What's the longest period you've kept a piece of gear?

Mostly I'm just posting to have easy access to this thread, but dayyum guitarboy, you were praising the poop outta the little blondies just a few months ago haha. What you say is true, but I still think they are useful mics!
Old 26th January 2013
Deleted f25ebd2
And if these wildwoods are as good minus the self noise, that sounds pretty awesome
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold ➑️
Dude, you get infatuated like crazy then dump em like they're a bad case of the clap... What's the longest period you've kept a piece of gear?

Mostly I'm just posting to have easy access to this thread, but dayyum guitarboy, you were praising the poop outta the little blondies just a few months ago haha. What you say is true, but I still think they are useful mics!
Whenever he's positive about a piece of a gear, you can be sure said gear is for sale in the GS classifieds. heh
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The little Quick Silvers look exactly like the K-Micro Sliver Bullets... which are pretty useless, IMO. Tried them on everything.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Dreamlands in the Studio

Here are shots of the Dreamlands in the Studio
Attached Thumbnails
if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...-dsc08360.jpg   if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...-dreamland-piano-2.jpg   if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...-dsc08403.jpg   if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...-dsc08430.jpg   if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...-dsc08433.jpg  

if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...-dsc08449.jpg   if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...-dsc08462.jpg   if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...-dsc08463.jpg   if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...-dsc08511.jpg   if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...-dsc08536.jpg  

Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
LOL. True. The more I used them, the more I realized they mostly weren't working out in the acoustics of my room because of the omni patterns. I think they're very decent mics, don't get me wrong. Who knows, maybe the noise I was hearing was coming from my preamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold ➑️

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Here are shots of the Dreamlands in the Studio
Are these Electret Condensers?
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yes - the Dreamland is an electret mic.
Deleted f25ebd2
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 ➑️
LOL. True. The more I used them, the more I realized they mostly weren't working out in the acoustics of my room because of the omni patterns. I think they're very decent mics, don't get me wrong. Who knows, maybe the noise I was hearing was coming from my preamp.
Nah, the little blondies definitely have some self noise going on. It's their achilles heel. Still very good in the right situation.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Dreamlands are very quiet.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
VW, what is that little mass of electronic whatchyacallit in the headbasket with the capsule? Looks like a transformer and a pcb.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've no idea - not much of a technical fellow myself. Maybe call Paul at Odyssey Pro Sound - I suspect he'd know, or could find out.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'll find out myself. I have one coming sometime this week.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
That's the best way any way - experience the mic and that way you'll know if it suits your needs or not. I'm quite enjoying mine. It's a slightly different texture than I've known with all of the other mics I've tried/used over the decades. It's been fun.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets ➑️
VW, what is that little mass of electronic whatchyacallit in the headbasket with the capsule? Looks like a transformer and a pcb.
It looks as though (to save costs) instead of building a mount for the element, they just soldered it straight to the pre-amp card, and designed the card to poke into the headbasket.

...Not really a bad idea, in my opinion.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It could be - again, I'm not familiar with microphone construction; but I do know that the new Dreamlands have a wooden surround for the capsule (unlike the ones in my photos). The maker is always refining things, which is a good thing.
Old 30th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Nice pictures.

But it's really the sound that matters. Any sound clips?
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I agree completely. I'm working on it. My computer prowess is quite limited, but I've plans to do a simple mics-pre-CD recording that I'll send to Paul to avail via his website.

Also, though I've gotten some sense of gear through recorded clips at this website, so many other factors play into the picture - the room, the instruments themselves, playing style, attack, etc. - that I've only found the clips only somewhat helpful. But, somewhat helpful is, well, somewhat helpful. So, I'll try and get some audio by next week - accessible somewhere.

Really, your best bet is to try one - with the free demo it's pretty easy, and your personal experience with your instruments in your space is vividly more revealing as to aptness of the mics to your situation.
πŸ“ Reply