Quantcast
if you liked the Little Blondie mics ... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitreouswindows ➑️
I agree completely. I'm working on it. My computer prowess is quite limited, but I've plans to do a simple mics-pre-CD recording that I'll send to Paul to avail via his website.

Also, though I've gotten some sense of gear through recorded clips at this website, so many other factors play into the picture - the room, the instruments themselves, playing style, attack, etc. - that I've only found the clips only somewhat helpful. But, somewhat helpful is, well, somewhat helpful. So, I'll try and get some audio by next week - accessible somewhere.

Really, your best bet is to try one - with the free demo it's pretty easy, and your personal experience with your instruments in your space is vividly more revealing as to aptness of the mics to your situation.
Oh, I agree. It just looks like you're recording in those photos.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've been recording since the late-70s, just most of it was done in studios, or live (with a pro engineer). I started doing acoustic things with Neumanns and Schoeps in the early-90s at home and in larger venues, but I found the technical side of it not-so-much for me; but have kept doing it off-and-on ever since.

I teach and record students, teach them about sound quality and colour, analog vs. digital, etc.; and I record myself for ideas, reference for layering, and to share with people I know. When I've done albums I always go to a studio (though often with my own mics or ones like them).
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
so you're telling me that Sahiaman, who I bought mine from, doesnt actually make these mics????

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitreouswindows ➑️
I had read the copious pages on the Little Blondie mics here on the GS Forum (over 800 posts!) and the testimonials were compelling.

Having most of my decades of experience with vintage Neumann and Schoeps mics, I had a strong sense of good sound (or, sound that appealed to me, and others). Given the enthusiasm from a host of sources about these new-to-me electret microphones, I was enthusiastic to try them.

In my attempts to learn of their origins (the fellow selling them was not the maker) I located the maker - Wildwood Microphones - and learned that they had been continually refined, were handmade one-at-a-time by hand in the U.S. by one person, the bodies fashioned from select hardwoods (mine are mahogany, and zebrawood!), and, like the Little Blondies, very modestly priced.

They were (and currently are) available through Odyssey Pro Sound (Music Recording Studio Equipment - New, Used, Vintage Pro Audio Recording Equipment) - reputable dealer Paul Savasta's high-end pro audio company of many years. As the description on the Odyssey website wisely notes (' ... don't take our word for it, try them'), I decided I wouldn't know anything until I experienced them. I ordered one of the Dreamland mics and was simply SHOCKED at my experience. The sound quality was wildly inconsistent with the price, not to mention the visual aesthetics - sensitively-designed and attentively well-made. Very beautiful on all accounts!

I tried it on voice, acoustic guitar, acoustic drums, acoustic piano, electric bass, (have yet to try it on electric guitar), and each source was vivid and engaging. I thought perhaps it was just the day, or that I wasn't hearing it properly - surely it couldn't sound this good (and for so cheap!). But the next day, my experience was replicated. I went back and found some recordings I had made with my classic mics, and was, again SHOCKED. They have a detail and texture that is really musical - quite beautiful.

I then learned that these mics (earlier incarnations) are in many professional studios -especially in Nashville. Steven Spielberg uses them (and personally owns several). One studio guitarist brought his own while recording at Blackbird (!!!).

So, just a heads-up on these new Wildwood mics. I'll try and put some photos up of them in use in my teaching studio in the coming days. There are photos at the Odyssey website.

I'll be ordering more.
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
That's correct. The fellow you bought your mic from was the sales rep for the maker. I think the maker is noted at the Odyssey Pro Sound website.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
So I received my Wildwood Dreamland mic a few days ago and have had 2 sessions with it in my home studio. Today I really had time to get down to the nitty gritty.

First I'd like to say my experience with the distributor has been stellar, Paul at Odyssey Pro Sound took a personal interest in answering some of my questions about the mic and mic initial experiences with it. He's been a stand up guy and I'll have future dealings with Odyssey after such a positive experience, no doubt.

The Dreamland is one of the most unique mics I've ever seen. The headbasket grill is very open which lends to an unfettered capture. Unfettered, meaning there is no internal pop filter to muffle freq response, no 2 or 3 layers of wire mesh restricting freq response, etc. The capsules are as exposed as you would ever want them to be. That's a good thing.

Inside the headbasket is a pair of electret condensers, so it's kind of like having a pair of Little Blondie's mounted side by side in an LDC type body. Very clever in my opinion. So, one of the things that I've come to enjoy after some 8 hours of auditioning so far is an appreciation for an enhanced stereo image as compared to most other Omni mics I've used. Side by side tracking comparing the capture to my Joly Modded Russian MK-012 w/omni capsule revealed the Dreamland to clearly have a wider image, more breadth. Don't get me wrong, I still love my omni 012, but the Dreamland mic makes the omni 012 sound more like a cardioid - just to further clarify my point.

Another positive characteristic of the Dreamland is also a by-product of the design; it sound more open than the 012 omni. Not more "airy", just more open. It's character isn't really "airy" at all IMO, at least not by my own definition of airy. To me, airy is a nice little bump around 7k or 10k, and that's not what I hear with the Dreamland. I hear a capture that is sweetly smooth with a hint of dark, hopefully that makes some sense.

My first trials were straight into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and the sound was actually really nice. The mic even seemed to eliminate a clipping problem I've had to struggle with from time to time with my 012's and 4033. This is attributed IMO to the 2i2 being designed to play nice with High Impedance mic's and the Dreamland is rated at 1200 Ohms, an important and significant spec. to keep in mind if you're considering buying one of these.

A number of people have complained about the 2i2 clipping too easily and I'm of the opinion the clipping is a result of impedance matching (or lack-thereof).

When I plugged the Dreamland straight into my ZED14...ouch!!...disaster. The A&H ZED pre's are not designed to play nice with high impedance mic's; at all. ZED pre's are fantastic with mics rated 600 Ohms or less, over 600 Ohms...not so much.

When plugged into one of my Electro Harmonix 12AY7 Tube Mic Pre's the Dreamland was happy again. The 12AY7 pre is designed to play nice with high impedance mic's. Low impedance mics generally only enjoy about +40dB with the 12AY7, about +50dB with high impedance mic's. There's also a bit of distortion added when pairing the EHX pre with low impedance mic's.

So take note if you're thinking of buying a Dreamland, check the specs on your pre's to determine compatibility.

The manufacturer is spot on about this mic shining on vocals, it's absolutely true. I also enjoyed what the mic did for my Martin OM-16GT, as well as how it handled native american flutes and harmonic instruments like the kalimba. Again, the image was wide and "stereo" for lack of a better word.

I'll be buying a second one to make a pair.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It's a fun discovery isn't it - their beauty and uniqueness.
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can see bits on the padding in the box. I can see a mesh that will let the bits through to the diaphragm. Any concerns here? http://www.odysseyprosound.com/image...nd_large-2.jpg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Attached Thumbnails
if you liked the Little Blondie mics ...-wildwood_dreamland_large-2.jpg  
OPS
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb ➑️
I can see bits on the padding in the box. I can see a mesh that will let the bits through to the diaphragm. Any concerns here? http://www.odysseyprosound.com/image...nd_large-2.jpg
This is Paul at Odyssey Pro Sound. Tony (the Wildwood mic maker) discarded the box design that is shown in the photo. The Dreamland mics are presently fitted with just a piece of acoustic foam on the bottom of the box. And it fits in securely. I'll get to updating the photos soon.
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPS ➑️
This is Paul at Odyssey Pro Sound.
[...]
Hi, Paul! (Glad you could join us here.)

...Since you seem to have the ear of the makers of this mic, doya think you could ask them about the mystery addressed at Post #27?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzi ➑️
I'm completely confused here!!!

When I was ordering my little blondie mics, I had many problems! I spoke to Sahiaman several times and he certainly claimed that he in fact, was the maker of these mics! He also told me that most of the proceeds were going to his local church!
I don't know the history of the mic or the reason for the recent flood of wildwind promotion but I can personally attest to the fact that Sahiaman is a very charitable person. I've seen it first-hand. If he said he was sending some of the proceeds to charity, I fully believe him.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think you're missing the point...
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Apparently the fella that makes the Wildwood line of mic's (Tony) also makes a mic preamp but I don't see it offered for sale, so I'm super curious about that. But there is a photo on his site that shows what could be one of those pre's.

Look here and share what you think: DREAMLAND VOCAL MIC - Wildwood Microphones

Look at the 4th photo from the top.
Old 9th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I know Sahiaman said he designed his own proprietary capsule and has videos on his YouTube to prove that he manufactures his own mics. I think it's a little too early to start making assumptions and allegations about who made what. Maybe he contracted Wildwood to make bodies?

That being said, pretty sure Wildwood uses cheap Panasonic capsules. If you look at his old site where he used to offer kits, he talks a lot about Panasonic.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprats325 ➑️
That being said, pretty sure Wildwood uses cheap Panasonic capsules. If you look at his old site where he used to offer kits, he talks a lot about Panasonic.
I've read plenty over the years from reputable microphone DIY'ers that at least one of the Panasonic capsules is actually a great little cap to modify and use in simple mic designs.

Regardless, the Dreamland has a wonderful sound. I put it up next to the 012 w/omni, and an AT4033 in my test sessions. The 012 and 4033 are what I typically use for acoustic instruments and the 012 w/omni is typically what I use for my vocals.
Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I too was interested in the pre-amps after I'd tried the mics, but Tony isn't happy with his mic pre experiments, and he wasn't terribly interested in making them in any quantity. But, that could change if he hits upon something he really likes.

I recorded a student last week using one Dreamland in front of the drum kit - excellent results for such a sparse set-up. The musical character of the microphone continues to surprise me.
Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
VW, I've noticed the mic can sound a little anemic at 3 feet or further from the source, but a drum kit is a totally different animal. How do you like the bass response on a kit?

Another thing I forgot to mention about my early auditions with the Dreamland is when I switched to the EHX mic preamp I lined that signal out of the EHX to the XLR input on my ZED14 with about +20dB, faders at Unity, then Out in L/R stereo from the ZED to the Delta 1010LT interface on my main DAW (a PC running Win XP and Sonar) - not the 2i2 interface on my laptop. Wasn't sure if that would mean anything to anyone reading my review.
Old 10th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Interested to hear soundclips of the mic. How are the gain requirements/self-noise?
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Interested to hear soundclips of the mic. How are the gain requirements/self-noise?
No self-noise issues for me so far, and I actually did a session yesterday where I stacked 5 different acoustic guitar tracks with 2 vocal tracks - all using just the Dreamland. Didn't notice any unpleasant build-up.

Self-noise varies from pre to pre though so the big question is how would the mic work in an individual's studio environment with their own compliment/arsenal of preamps.
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
To post #47 -
I have noticed that at a distance, acoustic sources are far less engaging - it's not a mic I'd use for a long reach with quiet acoustic sources. But I've found that the electric bass sounds really natural and beautiful with the mic more than several feet away. And, as I noted earlier, the drum kit mic experience was very effective. More experiences to come.
OPS
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've posted audio files from one of my customers using the Dreamland to record a variety of instruments and voice. The signal chain is simple. The dreamland mic > Grace Lunatec v2 mic preamp > CD Burner. No eq or processing.

You can find the files on this page
Wildwood Dreamland Microphone
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've posted audio files from one of my customers using the Dreamland to record a variety of instruments and voice. The signal chain is simple. The dreamland mic > Grace Lunatec v2 mic preamp > CD Burner. No eq or processing.

You can find the files on this page
Wildwood Dreamland Microphone
Nice one Paul, listening now. No different than the sound I'm getting in my own bedio.

This is Ken, BTW. Hope you faired the recent storm well and I'm excited to get my second Dreamland mic. Thanks again for all your help.

Nice sound clips and I'm glad you included some vocals. This mic does seem to really shine on vocals and I'm enjoying how my vocals already sound a bit polished from the get-go. The electric bass clip has me excited to get this mic in front of an amp; something I haven't had time to do yet. Excellent post.

Last edited by TurboJets; 12th February 2013 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: To add comment
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Just received my 2nd Dreamland mic today, plugged it in and it sounds fantastic. I'm excited to hear what they sound like tracking in stereo now. Moved on to tracking nylon string guitar and like what I'm hearing. There's quite a bit of bass in my nylon string so I back off the mic a bit and am super happy with the resulting tracks especially when panned hard L/R. That's a byproduct of the mic having dual elements no doubt.
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yes, their cost is completely inconsistent with their musicality, that's why it was such a cool discovery for me. Fun to hear you're having similar experiences. More ahead I suspect.
Old 19th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
For anyone interested, here is a short song using only the pair of Dreamland mic's I just got. No EQ and no FX.

https://soundcloud.com/12thhouse/bluedream
OPS
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets ➑️
For anyone interested, here is a short song using only the pair of Dreamland mic's I just got. No EQ and no FX.

Well played and recorded! Detailed and musical!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well played and recorded! Detailed and musical!
Thanks Paul. It's a super straight-forward recording that just shows off the mic.

It was recorded straight to a cheap 2i2 interface using the 2i2 preamps.

The guitar is a cheap Dean "C" classical guitar ($199) and a native american flute (not cheap - it's a Butch Hall flute). Both instruments can be hard to work with on cheap gear because usually they can end up sounding a bit brittle IME.

I also think it's a good example of how low the self-noise is with these mics. The only background noise I can detect here is the fan on my laptop, and this was recorded just sitting in my living room where there's no acoustic treatment.
Old 21st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

...I like it on guitar, not so much on the flute...lacking the air and breathy quality that I would look for in a flute recording...
Old 22nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes ➑️
...I like it on guitar, not so much on the flute...lacking the air and breathy quality that I would look for in a flute recording...
It's the flute and how I play this one KV. The flute is a walnut Butch Hall which has a very mellow sound that's a little richer and less airy than most NA flutes. I also have a tendency with this flute to back off the "air" factor and go more for a sweet tone.

I haven't tried the mic with any of my more "airy" flutes yet.
Old 22nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's the flute and how I play this one KV. The flute is a walnut Butch Hall which has a very mellow sound that's a little richer and less airy than most NA flutes. I also have a tendency with this flute to back off the "air" factor and go more for a sweet tone.

I haven't tried the mic with any of my more "airy" flutes yet.
...OK, TJ...I trust your judgement...
πŸ“ Reply