Quantcast
Mic for Trombone - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic for Trombone
Old 21st February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm a professional trombonist. All I record is brass.

If I were you, I'd grab a Triton Fethead and an Md421. I've tried several budget ribbons (MXLR144, MXL860) and the R144 is really good. I tried a bunch of LDC's without breaking the bank. And there's just not natural about the sound.

If I can figure out how to post some audio I'd be game for posting some examples.

I'm using a Presonus 1818VSL and Fethead on all the dynamics/ribbon.
Old 21st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
RE20, 421, 441. EQ to taste. That said, I have a Fathead (Lundahl) that can sound really nice. It's pickier about placement and EQ.
Old 21st February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva ➡️
Save up the money for a good mic, that you will be happy with, and can keep for a long time, rather than going through a succession of ultra-cheap mics, IMHO.
Yes, yes, and more yes! When I started acquiring mics, Clarke Rigsby (recorded a lot of albums for Joe Alessi, Phil Smith, Sam Pilafian, Pat Sheridan - the OP will know these brass titans) he told me to save up and not go from one marginal mic to the next.

Of course, I didn't listen and have a collection of LDC's that will probably get rarely used.

I'm personally thinking of grabbing an RE20, M88 or RE320. I love the sound I get with the MD421.

To the OP...

I've been in your shoes, all too familiar...I'm now a college professor, I studied with Ralph Sauer, Mark Lawrence, John Drew. Full time orchestra appointments, lots of soloing. Not tooting my horn...just saying that I really understand where you're coming from in terms of what you're looking for in the sound. Trombonists are obsessed! In the best way.

The issue is this...there aren't many catch all microphones. If you want to do this on the cheap, you'd be better off saving your money and staying in the H2n/H4n camp. I promise you're not going to get a sound that is anywhere CLOSE to the sound you're looking for out of an SM57. You can get excellent results using a handheld, and either the H2n or H4n will serve as a USB mic so you can still do multi tracking, record chamber groups and make a perfectly acceptable audition recording.

JB
📝 Reply