Quantcast
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 vs 8i6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 vs 8i6
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 vs 8i6

I'm confused on the pricing of these two units. The difference is only about $10-$20. Is it only because one is in a new, shiny red shell? Are there features that the 2i4 has that the 8i6 doesn't or vice versa?

How do these compare to the C400/C600?
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Not a serious question really, the differences between the 2i4 and the 8i6 are very clear.

Unbalanced Outs on the 2i4, balanced Outs on the 8i6. And the 8i6 includes SPDIF in and out. The 8i6 also includes VST plugs which is kind of cool.

The diff between the Focusrite boxes and the M-Audio boxes?...the pre's...all the way. The Focusrite pre's stomp the M-Audio pre's. They're much smoother and sweeter.

I use the 2i2 on my laptop and the pre's kill the pre's on any of the m-audio boxes I've had, including the 1814 which is twice the price; even after a BLA upgrade, the pre's are still too sterile for my taste. Don't get me wrong, the BLA converters smoke the Focusrite box, but the m-audio pre's are still pretty useless.

Last edited by TurboJets; 24th January 2013 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: add comment
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yeah, I am still feeling out all vocal gear. I know BLA has some nice preamps, but I am still new at all of this and probably don't need that yet. As for the main question, I have no idea why they are close in price...lol
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I am definitely not agree that m-audio pres are useless, firewire 1814 is from 2004 and i couldn't remember for interfaces on the cheap side with really good pres from these years. C400 and C600 are way more recent, and has great pres.

Best Budget Audio Interfaces for SM7B | recording hacks

If you'll record electric guitars directly in the interface without di box avoid 8i6, because there aren't pads, and they are definitely needed for hot instruments. The scarletts are with better build quality and look like they will last longer, the fast track's are from plastic but in my opinion look more elegant. Focusrite also has great tech support, and i think that their drivers are better especially now when fast tracks aren't supported from m-audio any more.
๐Ÿ“ Reply