Quantcast
Tube for SP TB1 ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube for SP TB1 ?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Tube for SP TB1 ?

Hi people ! I want to change the tube in my Studio Projects TB1 and try to make it sound even sweeter than it is. It uses an 6072 "dual triode" . Is this the same tube that the T3 uses ? I guess so ... What tube model would you recommend for TB1 ? I read the T3 works best with 12AX7 Telefunken ribbed plate, GE 5 Star 6072a, JJ Electronics ECC803(long plate version of ECC83) ....Are these tubes a good choice for the TB1 too ? Any help will make me so happy !
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Up. So can anyone suggest a tube for darker, more vintage sound ?
Old 24th January 2013

🎧 10 years
I have that mic. If you want less of that top end and a richer low-mid voicing, then change the capsule to a k47 style:

K47 and CK12 capsules | Microphone Mods | Microphone Parts

And do replace the stock tube. I've used a vintage RCA 6072 ($50) and a new EH 6072 ($12) and they both do the job nicely. The capsule is your game changer.

Good luck.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I’ve had the TB-1 for a good 8 years now. Back in 05 or 06 I changed the stock tube to a JJ 12AX7, and that seemed to help clean and take the edge off of it a bit.
Other than that, it’s a nice mic as is. PMI Audio’s k67 style capsules are reported to be better than the average mass produced Chinese fare. I would not recommend changing the capsule. If you don’t like the mic for what it is then sell it, and buy one with a K47 type capsule. For me changing the capsule in the TB-1 or in any of the Studio Projects’ line of mics would be akin to taking the engine out of a Dodge Charger to replace it with the engine of a Ford Mustang. Both are classic designed and engineered engines, which are great in their own rights. Some people will inherently and inevitably prefer one over the other, but it makes much more sense to just buy the one you want initially than to swap out parts, lose resale value, and end up with something that may or may not be marginally better. At that point, you’re delving way into the laws of diminishing returns IMO.

Best regards,

Chris
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the help friends ! I love that mic, I don't intend to sell it. That's the sound I looked for. I still own the At 2050, this mic was the reason to buy the great Tb1. the At 2050 is very robotic and low quality sounding mic, no body, no warmness ... I just want to play around the TB1 and make it sound even better and warmer. Maybe I've developed some maniac desire for the perfect mic because that poor AT2050 .

So .. I know the capsule is the other major upgrade, but I don't think I'm gonna take that risk. And AFAIK it's not so cheap ... But I'll check the price , thanks for that advice slaphappy.

The EH 6072 I'll buy it for sure because it's damn cheap, don't risk anything here. I heard about that tube before ...

JJ 12AX7 and RCA 6072 are interesting offers too. Thanks

PS: I checked out the link for that K47 capsule and realized that the capsule change will be too difficult for me to do it, I don't have much technical experience with soldering wiring etc ...So I won't risk my brand new TB1 ...
📝 Reply