New Drum Mic set - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Drum Mic set
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
New Drum Mic set

Hi there,

I am very happy to announce that I got 2000,- euro's to spend on gear. Hehehe.

I was planning on buying some mic's for recording drums. My idea was:

kick telefunken m82
snare top telefunken m80
snare bottom telefunken m80
toms 1,2,3 md421
hihat and ride josephson c42
overheads coles 4038 (already owned)

Only the coles are in my miclocker already. Is the telefunken m80 going to do more for me than a plain sm57? I have heard the m80 and it sounds sweet. But I could get an extra small condenser and 2 sm57's for slightly more....

telefunken m82, have heard good thinks about this one, I am planning on a demo listening. I already have an audix d6 and this telefunken m82 is to have another creative miking option for kick.

md421. Love them. Definitely coming.

Is there something less expensive and kinda same sounding as the josephson c42?

I like bright, in the 11-12khz range... especially for close-miking cymbals combined with darker sounding ribbon overheads... but do not like the harsh 2,3 khz range that comes with the km184... it is a little to upfront. I like it to sound more modern and "expensive" without sounding chinese.

Josephson is doing the job remarkable well, I rent them from a friend every now and then. But, I'd like to know if there is a cheaper option...

Hope to hear from your point of view...
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigri โžก๏ธ
Hi there,

I am very happy to announce that I got 2000,- euro's to spend on gear. Hehehe.

I was planning on buying some mic's for recording drums. My idea was:

kick telefunken m82
snare top telefunken m80
snare bottom telefunken m80
toms 1,2,3 md421
hihat and ride josephson c42
overheads coles 4038 (already owned)

Only the coles are in my miclocker already. Is the telefunken m80 going to do more for me than a plain sm57? I have heard the m80 and it sounds sweet. But I could get an extra small condenser and 2 sm57's for slightly more....

telefunken m82, have heard good thinks about this one, I am planning on a demo listening. I already have an audix d6 and this telefunken m82 is to have another creative miking option for kick.

md421. Love them. Definitely coming.

Is there something less expensive and kinda same sounding as the josephson c42?

I like bright, in the 11-12khz range... especially for close-miking cymbals combined with darker sounding ribbon overheads... but do not like the harsh 2,3 khz range that comes with the km184... it is a little to upfront. I like it to sound more modern and "expensive" without sounding chinese.

Josephson is doing the job remarkable well, I rent them from a friend every now and then. But, I'd like to know if there is a cheaper option...

Hope to hear from your point of view...
There's a number or "super engineers" that go for the KM184 as first choice for hat and close micing cymbals so I'd expect that you may have the wrong placement. Or cymbals. Then again there's a number of "super engineers" that use a 57 for hat too for isolation cause it's their style to mix the hat up. Anyways.. I'd go with 84's or 184's and if you can't make it happen it's not the mics fault. For snare top Id go with a 57 and something else for the bottom. I really like the lesser known Beyer 420. I've used the Tele's a lot and feel like they're the "mic of the day" and people are going to revert back to the classics like they always do in a few years. 57's will become way more useful then the Tele which is bright and scooped. I'd look into the dynamic+condenser top mic technique on snare as well. 57 + an SDC taped together. For kick once again don't go Tele. Pay attention to the classics techniques of FET LDC outside and dynamic inside. RE20/Beta52/421/M88 or SM7 kinda thing and a good LDC outside. I mean there's all kind of ways to skin a cat.. but we should have a reason to depart from convention.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear
C42 sounds great on close cymbals as you know already, I like them better on this aplication than my C451EBs and KM184s. They are bright but still meaty, always smooth, sounds great under the cymbals too if you want less attack.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yes, I work a lot with the super-engineers from my country. I engineer a lot at a studio with a lot of neumann... BUT sadly is closing or not gonna have a long life because of finance problems. Thats why I am looking for more mics in my own locker too continue as an independent engineer.

I love the sm57 on hihat for the "dirty" more gritty music. I am familiar with the km84 and km184 and I love those mics but not on drums. I am getting great results with the km184 and also the km84 but it is not my taste...

Good to hear about the Telefunken that they are probably overrated. (They are expensive) gonna see how it is gonna sound when I have them for testing in my room.

Gonna look into the Beyer too. I love those ribbons from Beyer. Great on lots of things.

I am gonna go for the sm57 and sdc for snare top. Have seen this been done in an old studio I worked. There, the Neumann would be in it's rightful place, because of the more upfront high-midrange in my opinion and taste.

I think the Josephson would be better on close-miking the cymbals for my signature sound and taste.

Gonna look into that Beyers!
Old 23rd January 2013
I'd say the M80 is probably going to win over a 57 for snare top, I don't get why the 57 is such a popular snare mic, I personally think it lacks alot of definition and the off axis spill sounds horrible. I use an Audix i5, but also like the Beyer M201.

And yeah Beyer M160s are great for Overheads!
๐Ÿ“ Reply