AES 16e PCIe card - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 16e PCIe card
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Lynx AES 16e PCIe card

Hi All

Quick question about the AES 16e PCI card. As I understand this card can carry 32 channels of digital audio, between the two AES jacks.

My question is it possible to run one of the connectors with 8 channels of digital input/output, and then use the other connector to run 16 channels of just digital output?

Essentially I'm trying to hook up both an Rosetta 800, and DA-16x, and want to know if its possible to run both units through this card?

Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
In case anyone is interested, i called the manufacturer. You can only run 16 channels of input and output at once, regardless of jumper configuration of the ports. Even if port A is configured for 16 channels of output, then that means Port B can only be 16 channels of Input.

I also believe that the AES16 (PCI version) is the only card that has the ability to modifying the jumper settings on each port to re-configuring the INs and OUTs, etc.
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi curious what AES to PCIe card you have? I also have a Rosetta 800 and considering something like the RME AES PCIe card as a solution for a Pro Tools 10 hackintosh rig. What are some of your specs and how are you making out with the setup? Thank you for starting this thread.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
ilikemyrealname - I dont actually own the AES. I've been researching what to upgrade my converters to and trying to figure out the best setup that will allow me conversion with 24 inputs/outputs.

I decided not to go with the Rosetta and the DA16x, because I'd either need to purchase two AES16 cards(overkill), use X-Symphony setup(I dont own a macpro), or get a ADAT PCI card and run everything light pipe(limited Sample rates)

Either way all the solutions put me WAY over my budget. So i'm going for a cheaper solution in the end.
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have you looked into an AES16e card with an LS-ADAT daughter card ? Both take up a pcie slot and the LS-ADAT card connects to the AES16e via a small ribbon cable. This will give you up to 32 channels. The LS-ADAT daughter card is only $250 or so. You don't need two AES16e cards to get 32 channels. With the addition of the LS-ADAT card you can get your 24 channels cheaply and still have a further 8 digital channels up your sleeve. It's what I use for 24 channels i/o (16 analogue and 8 via adat - Aurora 16/Audient 4816/Apogee Ensemble).
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The AES16e can only be configured for 32-channel operation when using the LS-ADAT daughterboard and firmware 11 and onwards.

For the card itself, it can be configured to run either 8-in/8-out on each port or 16-in on Port A and 16-out on Port B.

Since the LS-ADAT daughterboard is ADAT, you can get a further 16 channels of i/o using the optical ports as normal. Of course, at higher sample rates the ADAT ports half due to SMUX, resulting in 24-channels max combined with the AES16e.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
πŸ“ Reply