Emulating FM/AM tuning effect - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Emulating FM/AM tuning effect
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Emulating FM/AM tuning effect

Hey all,
I'm looking for a way to emulate the sound of tuning into a radio station, but I need to apply it to specific tracks. A lot of similar sound effects sorta get close, but they don't linger on a station long enough, and don't provide enough fuzz once you get to a radio station. I'm wondering if there is a way to apply that fuzzy effect on to one track and then be able to crossfade between the fuzzy track and the clean track.

I'm hoping to do this ITB, because I don't have any sort of FM transmitter to try and replicate this.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think it would be much more difficult to recreate that than to record an actual radio or receiver. I'd locate an old radio or stereo receiver and go to town with that sucker.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
White noise + several songs/talkshows + lots of volume automation :p
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
making that sorta thing from scratch can take a while, ive had to do it on several occasions (lotsa bands asks for this haha) for me its definitly worked best by getting an old radio and making it yourself, then taking another song (usually the band im working with's finished bounce) and cut it up and insert the chorus or somthing into that so it sounds like someone skipped over the "station" that the bands song is playing from.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
as stated, better to record the file and use as needed.

but if you already have some static, I'd put a heavy limiter on it and key it with the track, that way when the track starts playing the fuzz gets squashed as the song "tunes in."
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Its much more preferable at this point to do it ITB because the tracks will be constantly changing, and its much easier to take a chunk of track and replace as necessary rather than re-recording all the time.

This is going to be part of an intro for a marching band field show, and will have date specific easter eggs in various chunks of the track. The whole concept of the show is a radio gone haywire.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mic up a cheap thriftstore radio, use a fm transmitter to feed it
And turn the tuning dial.

Really quite easy to set up
Best result
πŸ“ Reply