Quantcast
Shure SM7B Pre-Amp/Interface advice. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure SM7B Pre-Amp/Interface advice.
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Shure SM7B Pre-Amp/Interface advice.

Hey everyone, first post here. I'm a Death Metal metal vocalist utilizing both guttural low screams, and high pitched ones as well. Right now I have an MXL 990. I've been browsing around for something that would be a step up in the 400$ price range, and from what I can gather, the Shure SM7B is a good choice for recording harsh vocals, but I've read that they commonly require more phantom power than a majority of the interfaces on the market. I'm not well educated on this kind of stuff, also, correct me if I was misguided on any of that information stated above. While I was hoping to not have to spend much more than 200$ on an interface, I'm not really sure if that's a reality or not for this mic. I don't want to low ball it too much so that the quality of the mic doesn't shine through or pick one that won't supply the correct phantom power.. Any suggestions?
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The sm7b is a dynamic mic and does require phantom power. It does however require quite a bit of clean gain to get a up to a decent recording level. This is what you are referring to and misunderstood it to mean "more phantom power." All this means is you will require a preamp that when jacked up, does not become noisy, or you can do what many do and buy a Fethead or cloud lifter to add some gain to the signal. What interface are you using at the moment?
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Most interfaces would probably not be able to get a full signal from the SM7 used for vocals, but boosting the gain after recording should get you by without another purchase. The Focusrite Saffire, for example, works good with it for loud vocals. That said, the SM7 does benefit greatly from a great preamp.

Tim
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
ADK Hamburg would be worth a look also
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you for the replies, correct me if I'm mistaken again. So basically, I don't really NEED to purchase a pre-amp to record with it, and I could in say, Ableton, turn the gain up after recording so that it would sound right? But would the recording suffer greatly from this method? Also, would the Focusrite 6 USB qualify for my needs and produce decent quality sound? I suppose since my vocals are very loud as it is, screamed vocals if you will, I won't need to reach 60db anyways for it to sound proper? And about the interface I was using, it wasn't mine and the person lives far away, hence why I need my own. But I believe it was a PreSonus Audiobox USB, it was roughly 120$ or so I remember him telling me. Again, sorry if I am totally interpreting this all wrong, that's obviously why I'm here, so I don't make the wrong purchase.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Would a Mackie Onyx Blackjack suffice?
Old 4th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Need advice too! Similar situation

So ive made a decision to get the Shure SM7B. Now i have to build the rest to my computer. I am a complete beginner and have been researching what is the best/most quality way to record. Really the question is Interface vs. Preamp. From what i can find about the SM7B, preamp seems to be the conventional wisdom because of its ability to offer much more gain than the traditional Audio Interface, which is what the SM7B needs. Of the preamps, just from reading through blogs, it seems the GAP73 might be the best for the money on hip hop vocals under a $600 dollar budget, but of course this can be subjective.

(https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...op-vocals.html)

Im leaning towards the preamp. but, Just because its conventional wisdom, does that necessarily mean there arent audio interfaces out there capable of doing the job just as good as preamp for the $? Also, another question - bc i am a total beginner - if i buy this preamp, will i also have to purchase a mixer and soundcard? Or will this preamp work like a mixer?

I am just wanting to figure out the best system for my money, and when being basically ignorant on these complex issues it can be daunting. Thanks!
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rash ➑️
So ive made a decision to get the Shure SM7B. Now i have to build the rest to my computer. I am a complete beginner and have been researching what is the best/most quality way to record. Really the question is Interface vs. Preamp. From what i can find about the SM7B, preamp seems to be the conventional wisdom because of its ability to offer much more gain than the traditional Audio Interface, which is what the SM7B needs. Of the preamps, just from reading through blogs, it seems the GAP73 might be the best for the money on hip hop vocals under a $600 dollar budget, but of course this can be subjective.

(https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-e...op-vocals.html)

Im leaning towards the preamp. but, Just because its conventional wisdom, does that necessarily mean there arent audio interfaces out there capable of doing the job just as good as preamp for the $? Also, another question - bc i am a total beginner - if i buy this preamp, will i also have to purchase a mixer and soundcard? Or will this preamp work like a mixer?

I am just wanting to figure out the best system for my money, and when being basically ignorant on these complex issues it can be daunting. Thanks!
If you buy just a preamp you will still need some kind if interface to get into your computer. As you mentioned your SM7b would greatly benefit from a nice mic pre, as would any mic, but with your budget you may be better off with a mic pre interface combo set up. Lots if them out there for reasonable $$$$. Good luck.
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcnelis ➑️
The sm7b is a dynamic mic and does require phantom power. It does however require quite a bit of clean gain to get a up to a decent recording level. This is what you are referring to and misunderstood it to mean "more phantom power." All this means is you will require a preamp that when jacked up, does not become noisy, or you can do what many do and buy a Fethead or cloud lifter to add some gain to the signal. What interface are you using at the moment?
Hey bro did you miss the boat a little with your comment about a dynamic mic needing phantom power??? Just saying.
Old 4th July 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob ➑️
Hey bro did you miss the boat a little with your comment about a dynamic mic needing phantom power??? Just saying.
I think that's clearly a typo, and the poster meant it to read "and does not require phantom power"
Old 4th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob ➑️
I think he meant "does not". Reading the next sentence would make more sense then. At least that's what i thought he meant.
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcnelis ➑️
To the best of my knowledge, no SM7 model requires phantom power. This must be a typo.., Daking Mic pre 1 is a nice match for the requires job. It does have phantom power. Just don't use it with this Mic hey!!
Or run it straight into a rme ucx or akin type card. It also has a phantom power option you won't need with this mic in particular.

Sent from my XT925
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergotone ➑️
I think that's clearly a typo, and the poster meant it to read "and does not require phantom power"
Agreed. I just wanted to clarify for the OP who has said he doesn't have a lot of experience in the area.
πŸ“ Reply