Quantcast
Should I buy a Tascam M30 Mixer & Fostex R8 Reel to Reel - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I buy a Tascam M30 Mixer & Fostex R8 Reel to Reel
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Should I buy a Tascam M30 Mixer & Fostex R8 Reel to Reel

So I wanted to buy a reel to reel machine to start recording demos of stuff that have been floating in my mind. So I was searching through craigslist and found a Tascam M30 Mixer & Fostex R8 Reel to Reel thingy for 575 dollars or best offer. From what I can tell the fostex is supposed to be okay, and the mixer is supposedly great. I don't plan on using these forever mostly since I just want to make demos with them. So what do you guys think of that? Do you know anything I can get better for the same amount (or less) for that type of money?
Lemme know.[IMG]http://images.***************/3G73Ff3I25Id5Ee5H7ccs6c7a5cc7ec7b1f83.jpg[/IMG]
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I would stay away from the Fostex reel decks. No spare parts and difficult to repair due to the compactness. I would stick to the 1/2" 8 track Tascams and Otari decks and just deal with the cost of 1/2" tape. You should be able to find a newer mixer with more channels & a 1/2" 8 track recorder for $600 or less. Keep looking.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Head

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Fostex 8 track

I guess it depends what you're looking for. If you want to goof around with a tape machine and deal with maintenance and tape scarcity...do it. If you want to record with efficiency and effectiveness, digital offers a lot of cost effective solutions. You can "lo-fi" it a million different ways.

I have a few old Fostex 8 track 1/4" machines stowed away in my jam room. They were a lot of fun back in the day, as was my previous 4 track cassette machine. All that changed when I got my Digi002 rig. My Reel to Reel machines haven't seen the light of day since.

I was pretty impressed how good they managed to get an 8 track 1/4" machine to sound, but always aware of the limitations. If I had the money and time to run a nice 1 or 2 inch tape machine, I might be willing to give up my digital rig.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
My first set up was a Tascam mixer and 80-8 8 track. If I had to work on that now I would not get anything done. It's sticks and knives compared to what daw's can do these days. Not to mention maintaining a reel to reel. And unless the tascam has been modified, it doesn't sound that good...trust me on that.
L.
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for your replies.
I'll have to think about it a little more and look into other tape machines.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOLOMAN ➑️
Thanks for your replies.
I'll have to think about it a little more and look into other tape machines.
What's the appeal of tape for you? If it's sound quality, honestly, unless it's setup, maintained and/or good quality for starters, it's really a bitch to work with and will produce mediocre results, especially if this is for capturing ideas.

A digital system, even the cheapest DAW/computer/interface is going to be much much easier and dependable than an old reel-to-reel or cassette recorder. If it's portability and simplicity you're after, a digital 4/8 track recorder is probably the best setup, but a decent USB interface and laptop's pretty self-contained as well.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOLOMAN ➑️
So I wanted to buy a reel to reel machine to start recording demos of stuff that have been floating in my mind. So I was searching through craigslist and found a Tascam M30 Mixer & Fostex R8 Reel to Reel thingy for 575 dollars or best offer. From what I can tell the fostex is supposed to be okay, and the mixer is supposedly great. I don't plan on using these forever mostly since I just want to make demos with them. So what do you guys think of that? Do you know anything I can get better for the same amount (or less) for that type of money?
Lemme know.[IMG]http://images.***************/3G73Ff3I25Id5Ee5H7ccs6c7a5cc7ec7b1f83.jpg[/IMG]
My first question is ,have you ever usad a reel to reel previously. Have you used digital before?
Old 24th January 2013
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Wink

IMHO Zoom R8 would be a lot simpler than Fostex R8 + mixer.

Chris
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Back in the day my dream setup was an R8 and the 812 mixer. A store that I used to go to had that setup and I used to love to go in there and drool over it.

Eventually I did get the 812, but I saved up more money and went with a TSR-8 because it was a better machine. I sold the TSR-8 to raise cash for a blackface ADAT, which was much better for a bunch of reasons (lower tape costs, ability to bring tapes to friends' houses, etc...).

YMMV but I probably would stay away from an R8. There are just so many other options.

The machine I always wanted but couldn't afford was the Otari 5050 8 track. They do pop up now and again. I remember they sounded much better then the Fostex and Tascam decks of the day (IMHO).
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry for the late reply, but no I have not owned a reel to reel machine before, but I am very much more interested in purchasing one rather than going digital. I have recorded some stuff off of my computer, but I use my computer all day so i would rather get that.
Old 25th January 2013
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

🎧 15 years
Thumbs up

Totally understandable!

For similar reasons (along with stability issues with my budget laptop PC)...

I greatly prefer using HD digital recorders when recording others, that are very similar to simple R2R units.

As you my know, there are quite a few reel to reel enthusiasts also over at Tape Op dot com.

Chris
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Perhaps I shall visit that sight sometime and ask them what they think. I believe I shall get that reel to reel if I can scrap up some money, but if I can't ill wait for another deal.
Old 28th September 2016
Here for the gear

get a Tascam cassette 4 track man
πŸ“ Reply