Quantcast
Rode nt5 modded... questions and comparisons... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rode nt5 modded... questions and comparisons...
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Rode nt5 modded... questions and comparisons...

i own since a couple of years an nt5 pair that has sometime use as room or overhead with acceptable results... now that i have other sdc pairs i decided i can take to the surgery bench... i discovered it was pretty easy to gut them and fit a new board in... so i remooved the original surface mount circuit and created an electrolitic free neumannish circuit with a 2n3819 fet and two beyerdinamics input transformers (1:10 wired the other way round..)

rodmann | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

as on km84 schematics i loaded the fet wiith 47k... but to acheive 10v between source and drain i ended up at almost 11khom of source resistor instead of the 3.9 indicated as a reference... to bias the fet i just used a multimeter and an oscilloscope app with my soundcard... i double cecked everything and the circuit seems ok... and works. should i be concerned about that a different value?
as far as it concerns the sounds.. i just did a short test and a quick shootout with a stock rode and a strangebeast neumann km84 (changeable capsules as it but red logo, which hints otl circuit). that was the setup

test | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
the modded mic has a couple of db less than the stock... as far of the sound... i try to attach three files to compare the short recording of my crappy flute in a crappy livingroom... just to gice you an idea... good music to all!
federico
Attached Files
File Type: aif mic1.aif (8.66 MB, 187 views)
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
it seems i cannot manage to load attachments an replyes... is someone is interested can you please give me an idea on how to load the tracks?
thanks
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Hey great idea - I have a pair of NT5's too. They're certainly a well engineered and solid mic, and while they've worked well on whatever sources i've applied them to the sound certainly doesn't blow me away.

I may consider some mods too - I love DIY but I never thought of going this route with my mics. It's great to see you've had success Ico!
๐Ÿ“ Reply