Quantcast
Mojve Ma-201 vs Rode NTK - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mojve Ma-201 vs Rode NTK
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Mojve Ma-201 vs Rode NTK

I posted a few months ago about upgrading my vocal chain, and i was kind of set on starting with my mic pre (Gap-73) but after months of reviews and online samples i feel that upgrading my mic would be a better bet at this time...

I have a Rode NTK (with NOS tube upgrade) and i've been saving up for a Mojave-ma 200. But i've been reading some reviews about the ma-201fet and i hear that the 201 is just as good a vocal mic as the 200. Now i have used a Ma-300 for a while now (but its not mine) and i like how it sounds but the price tag is almost double that of the 201 fet...

So my question is , would going from a Rode NTK to a Mojave ma-201 fet be a worth while upgrade, or should i keep saving for the Ma-200 in order to hear a noticeable upgrade? (i know pres, converters, and room treatment play a part too)

i record vocals (hip hop, r&b )
I have a rode ntk , gap-73, Apogee Duet 2 , my room is treated ...

Thanks in advance for your help ..( i cant find any threads on ntk vs mojave 201 thats why i started this)

-Ave
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If I had to choose what to do in your situation I would save up some more money. Personally, I've found that you're going to have to make a big jump from one price bracket to another to hear a substantial difference in LDC sound quality and then again the differences are subtle. You might as well sell the NTK to help you get the Mojave if you're strictly looking to upgrade.

But what about expanding on your existing mic collection instead? You can certainly get very useable results with what you have now but you could also spice things up a little by adding a dynamic mic or a ribbon mic. I personally like being able to keep things interesting with a few decent mics rather than having one really good one. Just my opinion.
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I used to own a NTK for many years. Recently I've been mixing a project where the singer used a Mojave ma-200 going straight into a Mbox 2 and his vocals sound fantastic. I also worked on a project where the other producer used a Mojave ma-201 and those vocals sounded great as well. I'm now looking at getting one or the other to add to my mic locker and I already have a ton of mics.

Sent from my iPad
📝 Reply