Quantcast
good all around can headphones? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
good all around can headphones?
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
good all around can headphones?

I'm looking for some headphones that are comfortable - thats a big one, as I'd be using them for writing/arranging. I guess I'd eventually be mixing with them (won't have any monitors).

I play a lot of different stuff; from electronic and ambient to heavy/distorted/crazy stuff. All of which I will be doing on these headphones.

$150 is my budget.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
comfort is an individual preference. However, I love my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's. I've even worn them for hours without music on just because I forgot I put them on. They sound amazing too.
Old 20th January 2013
bitewounds
Perfect for that price range: The AKG K 240 Studio. Hasn't ever let me down, been using the same pair of cans for ca. 8 years without ever even having to replace a cable.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
HD 280's
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Inb4 AT M50!

Haha. But in all seriousness, those are pretty nice cans, if a little bit desperate in the bass.

The K240's midrange presentation is fantastic. I can vouch for them.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. I find the balance on them almost identical to my Adam A7X's
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitewounds ➑️
Perfect for that price range: The AKG K 240 Studio. Hasn't ever let me down, been using the same pair of cans for ca. 8 years without ever even having to replace a cable.
I used to have a pair of K240S phones and they were great!

Now I use Shure SRH440's on a daily basis and I believe they are different in sound and feel but very comparable in quality.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
bitewounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Daddy ➑️
I used to have a pair of K240S phones and they were great!

Now I use Shure SRH440's on a daily basis and I believe they are different in sound and feel but very comparable in quality.
Gonna check those. I'm a headphone fiend.. a CanSlut, so to speak. Funny enough: Last year I thought it was time to step up my game and started using Grados and even found a very cheap, used pair of Sennheiser HD-650. Really took the time to let my brain adjust and mixed away (mostly on the Grados) for many months. Then by the beginning of this year I put on the ol' AKGs on to see how they compared... and ta'taaaa – I'm right back with the 240S, Grados collecting dust in a corner, perhaps I'll even sell them.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by targa2 ➑️
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. I find the balance on them almost identical to my Adam A7X's
This... DT770 if you want to use them for recording real sources with microphones as well.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by targa2 ➑️
Quote:
Originally Posted by dergit ➑️
This... DT770 if you want to use them for recording real sources with microphones as well.
I get excellent translation between my DT770's and my Adam A7's. They're not identical, but they're similar enough that I can predict what it will sound like.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm looking to the pull the trigger here folks. Are the Ath-50s the best for the money? Again, comfort is a big issue, sound of course. But I don't want my ears to get hot too quickly and stifle my workflow/creativity.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have Senn 280 / 380 , M 50 and Shure 840. For overall honesty I prefer the Shures. The ATs are impressive but they have a broad bottom end lift and a nice sounding but a little non revealing mid ; they also are a bit sweaty to wear.
The Shures are reasonably comfortable but the best for comfort are the 380s however they have a bit of a plasticky sound for me. The 280s are a work horse but I would go the Shures.
Cheers, Ross
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sennheiser HD 25 SP, they are not as expensive as the HD 25 and I even like the sound better. + Comfortable.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt ➑️
I have Senn 280 / 380 , M 50 and Shure 840. For overall honesty I prefer the Shures. The ATs are impressive but they have a broad bottom end lift and a nice sounding but a little non revealing mid ; they also are a bit sweaty to wear.
The Shures are reasonably comfortable but the best for comfort are the 380s however they have a bit of a plasticky sound for me. The 280s are a work horse but I would go the Shures.
Cheers, Ross
Probably the Shures. There hasn't been a thread I've read on GS involving both the M50s and the 840s that puts the Shures second to the ATs.
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
280's! I own a pair and absolutely love them. They sound great and are very comfortable.
πŸ“ Reply