Quantcast
Preamp woes - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Preamp woes
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Preamp woes

I want to take a step up to an ART MPA Pro 2 with my preamps after being impressed with reviews.
Originally i had thought that it would be a simple case of inserting the ART into my Edirol FA66 interface but i now find out on a thread here that it will still run through the Edirol preamp circuitry (pointless).
Can anyone suggest some alternative interfaces that have true dedicated line ins that won't break the bank?

Another alternative would maybe to get a second hand Apogee Duet 2 (if one comes up). Has anyone compared the two or have an opinion on ART in comparison?
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
You could get the ART digital MPA. I have one. I believe the pre's are the same, but you could let the ART do your conversion and connect to the Edirol via the digital I/O.
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Cheers Cruiser.
I had a look at the digital MPA but read a few bum reviews of it. How have you found it?
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I like it. I tend to keep it clean unless I am running a synth or something thru it that benefits from its unique ART tube distortion. I don't use it constantly, as I have several other options, but it has been reliable.
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have read people having sync issues. Ever encountered any?
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
NO. Never have had sync errors. I run it ADAT into an FW1884. I have an external clock also, but have used the digital MPA plenty of times without the external clock. I think when I connect it to the FW1884 the ART slaves to the Tascam by default.

There is a very busy knob on the ART front panel to select the digital mode you want, and I would attribute sync errors to user error more than likely.

Also, you don't have to use the ART conversion. It also has analog outs in case you decide to use it that way. I do use the analog outs sometime also. Depends what I'm doing.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just to point out for those interested that in the Edirol FA range, the next model up, the FA-101, was the one equipped with line inputs for use with external preamps.
πŸ“ Reply