Take the money and run? Buyer's remorse - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Take the money and run? Buyer's remorse
Old 18th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Take the money and run? Buyer's remorse

Hello Gearslutz,
First off please excuse my subpar English, it is a second language. After receiving a small inheritance I decided it was time to buy an outboard mic pre. I did my research and considering my budget I opted for the GAD PRE 73. (I also wanted to refret my ’76 SG so I didn’t invest more on the pre). A few days later, I changed my mind, decided to postpone the refret and thought that an outboard compressor would be an ideal companion to my new pre (is this how you catch the Gearslutz syndrome?). Anyways, I did a bit less research (still did though) and figured that by stretching my budget to its limit, the GAD comp 54 what the natural choice and so I ordered it (I couldn’t actually try it).
While waiting for my order in anticipation I continued reading about it and other models (The ART PRO, FMR RNC, DBX 166, etc) and then I stumbled on a few bad reviews I hadn’t seen about my upcoming compressor… Quality control issues, needle sticking, darkens the sound, “…sounds like there is a blanket on everything”, etc… Oh no!!!
Fortunately, yesterday I received an email telling me the GAD was back order… Lucky break? Should I take the money and run? Or calmly wait? Should I invest my money on the FMR RNC instead? (I Read mixed reviews also) The DBX 166? ; but there are many types of DBX 166, some of them good others sucks, the original but not the Chinese; for the DBX, I’m lost between what desirable and not. (I have worked in a famous montreal studio with a great DBX 166 but it must have been one of the “desirable ones”…
Is this a simple case of buyer’s remorse? If so, please, please comfort me and tell me what a great choice I made… Help!
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think you did fine. Don't base your gear decisions on others opinions on this site . You'll turn into a schizophrenic if you do (just look at all of the Sm7b love/hate for example)

That's just my opinion.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Both the Pre 73 and the Comp 54 are great devices for the money. As long as you purchased through legitimate dealers you will have no problems getting any issues resolved should they arise. More than likely, the units will arrive and work fine and you will enjoy them for years.

I don't have the Comp 54, but I have two pre 73 MKII's for quite a while now with no issues.

I say wait and then enjoy them. If you don't like their sound, you will be able to resell them easily. They are popular devices.
Old 18th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks NY Cruiser... Soothing
Thanks Guitarboy 94, as a dreadlock I used to work with would say: "True, true"...
Very zen. Have you ever worked with any of the models mentionned?
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Yes to all the above. I learned a while ago that not everything you read is even applicable for most applications: same sound source? Mic positioning? What else is in the chain? Is the naysayer inexperienced or a professional engineer?

Most of the time, there's so many other variables it's an apples to orange juice comparison, so you have to try it out yourself, go with someone you trust's opinion, or go with your gut.

Still, we've all been "burnt" with bad purchases: and often times it's the most popular mic/pre/DI/comp/EQ/plugin out there; said device just didn't happen to go well with guitar/amp/voice/synth/snare.

Thankfully, and unlike other electronics, most gear retains a fair bit of a value, so it's not like buying a video card you don't like only to have it plummet to 10% of retail price 3 months later.
📝 Reply