Quantcast
Questions regarding audio cables, sub and headphone impedance. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions regarding audio cables, sub and headphone impedance.
Old 18th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Questions regarding audio cables, sub and headphone impedance.

Hi.
These might sound like pretty noob questions but I'm rather new to this and don't wanna make any mistakes when I do my purchase you know, don't wanna send anything back. Better be safe than sorry.

Sadly, something's wrong with my 5.1 speaker system and it's out of warranty so I need new speakers.

I'm looking to buy the Focusrite 2i2 soundcard, a sub and Focal CMS50. I actually wanted to buy the CMS 40 to save money but yeah, the RMS is too low IMO.

First off, I assume speakers/subs don't come with cables right?
Second, the Focusrite has 2 balanced TRS outs. I need to connect that to the input of the sub, and then the output of the sub to the input of the speakers? So 4 cables right?

The specification sheet of the CMS sub says about the output: "Male 3 pins XLR in parallel on inputs." What does that mean, "parallel"?

The specification sheet of the Focal CMS 50 doesn't say whether its input is female or male. I imagine it's female right?

So I need two TRS to male XLR cables to go from soundcard to sub (output to input,) and then 2 female to male XLR cables to go from sub to speakers (output to input)? Right?

But on Thomann the only female XLR to male XLR cables are in the "Microphone cables" section...? I don't get it. Or do I have to disregard that. (Cordial cables, I imagine they are good enough.)
For example, the Cordial CCM 2,5 FM. I imagine all Cordial cables are balanced right? It's just not mentioned in the description.

A 1/4" jack is the same as TRS right?

Also, Do I NEED to buy a sub from the same manufacturer? Because I really don't want to spend TOO much and I actually want a cheaper one. But could it give me problems? What do I have to pay attention to if I decide to buy a sub from a different manufacturer. Also, I think the KRK 10S sub is pretty good, but any other recommendations that would work quite well with the Focal CMS50? (Cheaper than the Focal CMS Sub of course.)

Because for example, the KRK 10S Sub is 225W, and the Focal CMS Sub is 300W. And of course the CMS Sub is made for the CMS speakers. Does the KRK 10S Sub have a high enough wattage?

One more question. The headphone output of the Scarlett 2i2 has an impedance of <10 ohm. And I'm looking to buy a headphone that has 80 ohm. Will that work? Because if I buy one with a lower ohm, say 60, my headphone will not go loud enough. Is that correct? So I need a headphone that has an impedance of 80 ohm or higher?

Thanks. Please answer, would very much appreciate your help.

I hope they don't sound TOO noob.
Old 18th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Also, The "Line outputs 1 & 2" of the Scarlett 2i2 is:

Maximum output level (0 dBFS): 10 dBu, balanced

On the sub and speakers is a sensitivity knob, the CMS 50 says:
Adjustable, +4dBu / 0 / -10dBV.

Do I have to set that to -10dBV, and same thing for the sub?
Old 18th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OFU_ โžก๏ธ
Hi.
But on Thomann the only female XLR to male XLR cables are in the "Microphone cables" section...?
Disregard this, lol, there's also a speaker cable section where they have XLR male to XLR female. How in the world did I miss that.

But for example, the description of the Cordial CTL3 FM says: "especially for passive speakers." Do I have to pay attention to that? Or maybe it doesn't matter?
Old 18th January 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I was also pondering whether I should go for Focal CMS50 or Dynaudio (compact) BM5a + sub vs Dynaudio BM6a or Focal CMS65 without sub.

The BM6a's go down to 40Hz (+/- 3 dB) and the CMS65 to 45Hz (+/-3dB).
I make Groove, Dance, House, stuff like that. I wonder if they have enough lows.

Also my room is only 3.6m x 3.6m, untreated and a lot stuff. A bed and a large closet and 2 desks. Treating it would be very difficult. Unless I want to move the bass traps every time I have to open my door and the doors of my closet, lol. So I'm not thinking about treating my room tbf.

The problem of course is is that I've had a sub for years and years now and I'm used to it. But of course no sub would be a bit cheaper.

And yes, I'm aware that my room is definitely not ideal for a sub, but I'm really considering a sub though, even though I have to think about what I spend.

Anyway, do you think the BM6a and CMS65 have enough low end for groove, dance, house etc?

And of course the Mackie HR824 go down to 35hz but they are manufactured in China are they not?

So if I decide NOT to go for a sub (even though I want to), what would you recommened, considering the music that I make (enough low end). Focal CMS65, Dynaudio BM6A MKII, Mackie HR624 MK2 or HR824 MK2?

PS, I apologize for going a bit off topic myself. , it's just that more stuff came to mind.
๐Ÿ“ Reply