Quantcast
New Studio monitors, need help please!!!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Studio monitors, need help please!!!!!
Old 18th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
New Studio monitors, need help please!!!!!

Sorry to start another topic of this, I practically have read everything around but want to know opinions to my specific situation.

I produce electronic music mainly hip hop, dub, chill out, some trance…. Don’t know what I will be doing in the future but guess I will be close from this. From the past 7 years I have been mixing with m-audio Bx5 but I am very happy one of them is gone ;-) need to move forward….

I don’t have a treated room but it might be my next step.

My room dimensions is not a matter of fact right now since I am moving soon, trying to find the best place for setting up my cave.

What I am looking for:

1) Studio monitors that translate well, don’t want to be playing games with my mind about how it will sound on other systems.

2) Good response in the whole freq chart, i would love some Good base and lows response. Something important is that I like to mix at slow to mid volumes, sometimes turn it up but not too loud and not for long.

3) Good stereo image

4) Detail sound…. When working my reverbs or delays manly on vocals would sound ok on my monitors but when I go to a friend house with some adam I could hear perfectly my mistakes on adding to much reverb or delay. Not to mention how easily I could hear if the mix was unbalance.

5) Pleasant sound. With this I mean I could run sessions of 4 hours, some times moreee with pleasure and no ear hurt

Ok. Where I live I can only hear the adam stuff (ax7 and ax5) and event 2030 of some friend, no dynaudio, no Neumann.

Budget of $1500 to $2000:options for the moment:

-Neumann KH 120 Active Nearfield Studio Monitor
-Dynaudio BM12A (active) Active Nearfield Monitors
-Dynaudio BM6A MKII (active) Active Nearfield Monitors,
-Dynaudio Bm6a MK I2 Active Studio Monitor
-Event 2030 Three-way Studio Monitoring System
-Adam ax7

Let me know your thoughts...if i should consider other options,,,, consider a sub,,,etc... many thanks
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Perhaps add Focal CMS to that list?
Old 18th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks acl!!!
Im looking at the focal CMS and reading really nice things about them.
I really wanted bigger monitors than 5. are the CMS 65, 6,5?
have you try them? do you think They will work well for the kind of music i produce manly hip hop with out the sub?
thanks

price update
-Dynaudio BM6A MKII (active) Active Nearfield Monitors, $990
-Event 2030 Three-way Studio Monitoring System $1200
-Adam ax7 $1398
-Dynaudio Bm6a MK I2 Active Studio Monitor $1500
-Neumann KH 120 Active Nearfield Studio Monitor $1500
- Focal CMS 65 $1790
-Dynaudio BM12A (active) Active Nearfield Monitors $2,049.99
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Wow those prices are so different to what I had when I was looking around (in Australia). The Focals were cheaper than the Neumann and Adam's here.

Anyway, yes the CMS 65's are a 6.5" woofer, and yes I have a pair (and think they are great).

I suspect that between the speakers you mention all will have a similar bass response, except for the Dynaudio BM12A's, as they have a bigger woofer. I think you will have a nice upgrade with any of those, but the best one is going to be a bit of a subjective decision.

Good luck!
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Neumann bro!
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascl ➡️
Wow those prices are so different to what I had when I was looking around (in Australia). The Focals were cheaper than the Neumann and Adam's here.

Anyway, yes the CMS 65's are a 6.5" woofer, and yes I have a pair (and think they are great).

I suspect that between the speakers you mention all will have a similar bass response, except for the Dynaudio BM12A's, as they have a bigger woofer. I think you will have a nice upgrade with any of those, but the best one is going to be a bit of a subjective decision.

Good luck!
i have been reading a lot about the focals, and seems that this what i am looking for. Sounds like they are more precise revealing details than dynaudios.
And yes does are the prices for the us in amazon
thanks for mentioning the focals.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hope you find them as great as I do
Old 21st January 2013
Deleted d44e7f2
I'd look into the KRK vxt8.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
PCM

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
KH 120 (best) or A7x.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi, thanks for the reply's

At the beginning I was considering all the brands I mentioned, since are what most people talk about for that price range. I was more inclining for dynaudio, adam or newman in that order.
But since I discover focal and what most people says about them, it sounds like they would work well for me. Mainly because I hear they are very detail about sounds, that they don’t get a bad thing go out without been notice. Setting up the right amount for delay, echos, reverb, etc for vocals and percussion is very important for me; with my last monitors I had a hard time with this and sounds like focal are the more accurate for that. Also For mixing they should do fine from what I have read, as well as for producing and some masters when necessary.
I guess all the brands mention would be a great update from what I had before and would do great.
What I wanted was mainly opinion from people that have tried many different models with a situation similar than mine and found a specific model that they like the best. If they can say why would be better.
You don’t find so many info about the difference between the cms 50 and 65, are they exactly the same but with different size and of course the benefits that it gives in spec. I ask this because I read that for example ax7 from adam sounds better than the ax8 and it suppose that with the ax8 you would do better for size, details and $.
Thanks,,, still open to opinions
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cms50 are more mid forward than cms65, and kh120 don't work so well in the sub area ( they fart when you push the volumen when tweaking a 808 sub for example). for me the way to go in your options will be a7x and will get sub 10 in the future. another option I think you should consider are the eve audio sc207 and sc208 ( in this case yes, the sound equal but sc208 have more low end), they sound better than adams.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I compared them quickly and CMS 65 are good
But you should pay more attention to PMC it's far better than Focal surely more expensive but maybe you can find a pair for 2 000.

Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PMC tb2s+ ( passives) are about 1500€ here in Europe and don't need a bryston to run well, in the past I've tried tb2 with my harman kardon hk970 and they sounded great and very loud.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 ➡️
I compared them quickly and CMS 65 are good
But you should pay more attention to PMC it's far better than Focal surely more expensive but maybe you can find a pair for 2 000.

Hi thAnks man

I am looking in to PMC, like what i am reading.

The TB2s all which is active; I want active monitors, is way too expensive for me. But i found a pair of DB1S All, that is in a demo room for $2250 originally $3200

Do you think is a better option than the cms 65?

thanks for all the replys
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO ➡️
cms50 are more mid forward than cms65, and kh120 don't work so well in the sub area ( they fart when you push the volumen when tweaking a 808 sub for example). for me the way to go in your options will be a7x and will get sub 10 in the future. another option I think you should consider are the eve audio sc207 and sc208 ( in this case yes, the sound equal but sc208 have more low end), they sound better than adams.
Thanks man ... the eve looks nice...
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
For the kind of music you're doing, BM6A MkII's would be my choice for sure!
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
For that budget you're still in the 'either good quality or more lows and lesser quality' trap.

You could check Event Opals if you don't mind metal tweeter sound.

For a superb sound with slightly less lowest lows a second hand set of Harbeth Monitor 30.1's and a Jim Williams modded Adcom GFA545 is a great value and amazing sounding combo.
Or even just a pair of HHB Circle 5's. Great and cheap secondhand monitors. To me better than all the mentioned ones in the thread (except the PMC's, but I'd rather mix on the HHB). Good enough for Geoff Foster to mix blockbuster movie soundtracks on most days of the week.

If your budget was bigger I would say PSI A21m. Done.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
As I said I found the cms65 good but for the pmc are not playing in the same area. For this price you should try.

Old 24th January 2013
Deleted 6ccb844
Ok, so I've owned monitors costing up to 3.5K and scoweled through the likes of focal, sonodyne, Event, Adam etc.

I just recently got the Equator D5's at that point I didn't have anything to loose, I honestly mean these are really sweet monitors.. I wish I could sit you down in my studio and let you have a listen..

I'd rather buy them and just treat the hell out of my room.

I also own the Event Opals, you can't go wrong with either... But they are pricey.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Shadow, I've heard the same thing about the Equators from everyone I've spoke to or read on various forums and articles. I also checked Craigslist and eBay to see if anyone is selling their Equator D5s as an indicator of potential dissatisfaction and I have yet to find anyone selling their speakers online over the last 3-4 weeks. I was ready to put in $1,000 + into some vocals Adams, or Dynaudios and I decided to wait and purchase these D5s to see if I like them.

My Equator D5s come this Friday and I really can't wait to try them out in my room. I have 3 months to decide if I like them or not. I wish I could do that with the other speakers.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
A friend of mine was monitor shopping with a budget of about £1200 and after listening to everything ended up chancing a pair of Equator D5's. He is deliriously happy.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by npinero1 ➡️
Shadow, I've heard the same thing about the Equators from everyone I've spoke to or read on various forums and articles. I also checked Craigslist and eBay to see if anyone is selling their Equator D5s as an indicator of potential dissatisfaction and I have yet to find anyone selling their speakers online over the last 3-4 weeks. I was ready to put in $1,000 + into some vocals Adams, or Dynaudios and I decided to wait and purchase these D5s to see if I like them.

My Equator D5s come this Friday and I really can't wait to try them out in my room. I have 3 months to decide if I like them or not. I wish I could do that with the other speakers.
I am really shocked at how good they are.. For any price.

Then again, I just had my room re-done by a consultant so that may of helped also .
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
A friend of mine was monitor shopping with a budget of about £1200 and after listening to everything ended up chancing a pair of Equator D5's. He is deliriously happy.
I had a £3.5K / $5500 dollar budget, already have some Opals but needed a smaller pair for a smaller control room. (Pretty much moved to my house recently).. I heard them at a friends studio, initially I wasn't dead impressed but liked them. I think he sits way to back from them around 5 foot.. Then again there not his mains..

I asked to borrow them, took them home had a listen ordered some in 20 Minutes ..

I have to be honest, these speakers still require a decently treated room (Heavily if you can).. My new room stacks out at 10 X 8, The bass response is crystal clear, the stereo field is amazing.

I worked with Opals for years and I do prefer them, but my room is too small to take advantage and the equators are doing the job amazingly.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD ➡️
I had a £3.5K / $5500 dollar budget, already have some Opals but needed a smaller pair for a smaller control room. (Pretty much moved to my house recently).. I heard them at a friends studio, initially I wasn't dead impressed but liked them. I think he sits way to back from them around 5 foot.. Then again there not his mains..

I asked to borrow them, took them home had a listen ordered some in 20 Minutes ..

I have to be honest, these speakers still require a decently treated room (Heavily if you can).. My new room stacks out at 10 X 8, The bass response is crystal clear, the stereo field is amazing.

I worked with Opals for years and I do prefer them, but my room is too small to take advantage and the equators are doing the job amazingly.
Now sell the Opals and swap in a pair of PSI A21m's.
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Now sell the Opals and swap in a pair of PSI A21m's.
Only reason I looked at the D5's were due to the driver, everything with a 6" plus driver in such a small room seems to be inaccurate..

I could give them a try..
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The bass response and overall spectrum on the Genelec 8040 APM are pretty amazin and they should fit your room size but also your budget. Other than those, I would go with the 6" Adams.

Room size is an important factor when deciding what to buy so be aware of that.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD ➡️
Only reason I looked at the D5's were due to the driver, everything with a 6" plus driver in such a small room seems to be inaccurate..

I could give them a try..
Be careful, they're addictive like crack. heh Amazingly well behaved for the size of sound you get, too. I am in a small room.
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Focal CMS, they sound great and translate well.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ok, I got the D5s and wow, they really are amazing. Amazing sound, amazingly built, amazing low end from such a small box. I love them and I don't think I have broken them in yet. I recommend these.
📝 Reply