Quantcast
New Studio monitors, need help please!!!!! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Studio monitors, need help please!!!!!
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm personally going for the Adam A7X sometime this year, but they're my B-reference speaker because they're almost too nice sounding. My main mains are Tannoy PBM6.5 with an ART 200w amp. They sound very "real" and translate well once you learn their particulars. Like any monitor though, you pretty much always have to learn their sound.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The A7x, i have them like 3 days, you cant imagine how much different and better they are from the very first day i was using them, and now when i lower the low shelf on -1.8 and high shelf on -0.5 dB they are perfect, amazing speakers....nothing even come close for the price.

The KH 120 are maybe a bit better but they lack the output power, highs, and low end quality of A7x, but i think they are better regarding mids.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Neumann KH 120 Active Nearfield Studio Monitor
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Loving my KH120s I got last month! Best purchase I've made in a long while. My mixes have improved immensely. Can't say I've been able to demo many others, I picked them over the Adams due to Adam having some more often reported QC issues. The Focals would've been my next choice, but it just seems like Neumann offered an exceptional value as a first foray into the monitor market, considering its K & H predecessor. I don't regret my purchase a bit.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Try Genelec 8040a
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Be careful, they're addictive like crack. heh Amazingly well behaved for the size of sound you get, too. I am in a small room.
I'm reading that they has also DSP! how it works?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Equator D5 also has a DSP, how it work?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goggo ➡️
I'm reading that they has also DSP! how it works?
No DSP. As in, no digital stuff/converters or eq. 'Only' phase and impulse correction technology out of analog parts, and boy, it works amazingly.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHayes ➡️
For the kind of music you're doing, BM6A MkII's would be my choice for sure!
because of the low end response?

i still haven't decide, but guess dyns will be closer to what i am use to work with, i guess focals, or adams will be a drastic change of sound. Even the dyns

thanks
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
For that budget you're still in the 'either good quality or more lows and lesser quality' trap.

If your budget was bigger I would say PSI A21m. Done.
Yes, i think i am at the point of good quality: focal cms 65

or more base dyns mkii6

Pretty decided about the focals cm65 if i miss to much the low base freq in the future i a can add the sub. but i think i will do fine i have been working with m-audio bx5 for 7 years, and this are 6,5 so i might have more base response to what im use to.

i was think about the solo6 from focal but then you enter in another budget and there many options to think about in the 2500 3000 range.

so better go with the cm65 and grab a GAP 73 pre for vocals and guitars.

sounds good to me
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No DSP. As in, no digital stuff/converters or eq. 'Only' phase and impulse correction technology out of analog parts, and boy, it works amazingly.
And you'd be totally wrong on that.

The Equator D5 most definitely does incorporate an A/D/A set of converters and very real digital signal processing which allows such tight tolerance matching between drive units in the frequency domain. In this sense it's similar to say the M-Audio DSM series.

From their website:
"The internal DSP allows for intricate factory adjustments."
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifftrax2 ➡️
And you'd be totally wrong on that.

The Equator D5 most definitely does incorporate an A/D/A set of converters and very real digital signal processing which allows such tight tolerance matching between drive units in the frequency domain. In this sense it's similar to say the M-Audio DSM series.

From their website:
"The internal DSP allows for intricate factory adjustments."
I was talking about the PSI my friend.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chako ➡️
because of the low end response?

i still haven't decide, but guess dyns will be closer to what i am use to work with, i guess focals, or adams will be a drastic change of sound. Even the dyns

thanks
Exactly. The low end is nice and round on them.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i'd like to upgrade from my alesis m1 mk2, which have served me well for a number of years.
the equator d5's look nice but they cost £350 ($550) compared to $300 in the states. they're almost twice the price :(
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
actually, has anyone in the uk bought the equator d5's?
are they still the best monitors for the (albeit massively inflated) price?

if/when i come into some money i'd like to get either those or the adam a7x's. i need something front-ported as they'll be close to a wall. considering i sit quite close to my monitors and my room isn't particularly large i think perhaps the d5s would be the best bet?

surely a massive improvement over my alesis m1's?

cheers
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk ➡️
actually, has anyone in the uk bought the equator d5's?
are they still the best monitors for the (albeit massively inflated) price?

if/when i come into some money i'd like to get either those or the adam a7x's. i need something front-ported as they'll be close to a wall. considering i sit quite close to my monitors and my room isn't particularly large i think perhaps the d5s would be the best bet?

surely a massive improvement over my alesis m1's?

cheers
A friend of mine has them. He had about £1100-1200 to spend and ended up preferring them to anything else he could afford.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
A friend of mine has them. He had about £1100-1200 to spend and ended up preferring them to anything else he could afford.
that's good enough for me. cheers mate
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
What I am looking for:

1) Studio monitors that translate well, don’t want to be playing games with my mind about how it will sound on other systems...
Without getting into specifics, I'm going to recommend a practice:
Have two sets of monitors - One for accuracy (EQ'ing, mic selection and placement, use of effects, etc.) and a pair of "Grot boxes" for checking your mix - these can be Auratones, old hi-fi speakers from a console stereo, or even car dashboard speakers mounted in sealed boxes, but should be midrange-forward and not very wide-range.

IMHO, you're better off getting good monitors and another pair of "check monitors" than blowing your whole wad on great monitors that make all your mixes sound better than most people's systems will.

Just my 2¢.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk ➡️
that's good enough for me. cheers mate
He gambled on them after listening to all else he could afford and ended up keeping them with a surprised smile on his face. Likely you will loose some heft from your Alesis though.....I'd keep both. The Alesis obviously work well for you having heard your stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
He gambled on them after listening to all else he could afford and ended up keeping them with a surprised smile on his face. Likely you will loose some heft from your Alesis though.....I'd keep both. The Alesis obviously work well for you having heard your stuff.

I'd like to keep both but I don't really have enough room for 2 sets of monitors to be honest. I'd probably have to sell them and use the cash to buy the Equators too.

The Alesis have served me well but I'm after monitors capable of more detail so I can improve the quality of my mixes a bit. They do pack a decent punch in the bass department (although probably more noticeable because my room is still untreated).

You raise a good point about the bass response though.. there's a pretty big difference compared to what I'm used to (53hz compared to 45hz). Hmmm.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by npinero1 ➡️
Shadow, I've heard the same thing about the Equators from everyone I've spoke to or read on various forums and articles. I also checked Craigslist and eBay to see if anyone is selling their Equator D5s as an indicator of potential dissatisfaction and I have yet to find anyone selling their speakers online over the last 3-4 weeks. I was ready to put in $1,000 + into some vocals Adams, or Dynaudios and I decided to wait and purchase these D5s to see if I like them.

My Equator D5s come this Friday and I really can't wait to try them out in my room. I have 3 months to decide if I like them or not. I wish I could do that with the other speakers.
Let me know how you get on with them..
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD ➡️
Ok, so I've owned monitors costing up to 3.5K and scoweled through the likes of focal, sonodyne, Event, Adam etc.

I just recently got the Equator D5's at that point I didn't have anything to loose, I honestly mean these are really sweet monitors.. I wish I could sit you down in my studio and let you have a listen..

I'd rather buy them and just treat the hell out of my room.

I also own the Event Opals, you can't go wrong with either... But they are pricey.
I have been reading so many good things about the equators D5 that I’m getting kind of tempted.
For the money I would spend on focal cms65 I could buy a pair of dyns b6mkii and a pair of equators d5 for the same amount.
Do you think is good to have two monitors or its better to have just one and know them really well. I guess when having two different monitors is important that each one tells you different things.
Thanks for all the opinions I am taking my time to take this hard decision.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrax ➡️
Without getting into specifics, I'm going to recommend a practice:
Have two sets of monitors - One for accuracy (EQ'ing, mic selection and placement, use of effects, etc.) and a pair of "Grot boxes" for checking your mix - these can be Auratones, old hi-fi speakers from a console stereo, or even car dashboard speakers mounted in sealed boxes, but should be midrange-forward and not very wide-range.

IMHO, you're better off getting good monitors and another pair of "check monitors" than blowing your whole wad on great monitors that make all your mixes sound better than most people's systems will.

Just my 2¢.
Yes, that’s a good recommendation.
I always check my mixes on my car system, cheap headphones like ipod, a mono speaker like the bose for I pod, and try them as many systems as I can. It is true that most people will hear the music in this kind of systems. What I always find my mixes to be different is when I gig and play the tunes in PA systems; I think that’s the only system I find surprises so far. I can always eq and fix at the moment but sometimes the reference monitor in stage is so different of what is going out of the main PA speakers that is hard to judge. Getting a standard PA could work very well for me.
thanks
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
I have been reading so many good things about the equators D5 that I’m getting kind of tempted.
For the money I would spend on focal cms65 I could buy a pair of dyns b6mkii and a pair of equators d5 for the same amount.
Do you think is good to have two monitors or its better to have just one and know them really well. I guess when having two different monitors is important the each one tells you different things.
Thanks for all the opinions I am taking my time to take this hard decision.
I had the CMS65's for all the love around for them I couldn't personally see it myself.. I could see how they would work for others, but still..

I can trust the D5's by themselves, for translation I would seriously consider getting some can's to check on and some cheap IPOD buds.. I use some avantone's too.

Funnily enough, as the HD650's I have were primarily for checking bass. I can hear what's going on clearly with the Equator D5's..

I'm actually starting to convert to low end, whatever that means.. Between UAD and the Equators paired with an Apogee Symphony.. I don't believe I have ever had a better setup.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I can trust the D5's by themselves, for translation I would seriously consider getting some can's to check on and some cheap IPOD buds.. I use some avantone's too.

Do you recommend a specific model of avatones?

thanks
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
May I risk my neck here and let slip that in a couple of weeks or so I will put my version of the Auratone/Avantone type speaker on the market. More power and bounce than an Auratone as it has a 5.25 cone, and more papery and less boxy sound than the Avantone. In a real wood Sapele box under the name of littlepapercones. Keep an eye on the New Product section in around two weeks time.
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Do you recommend a specific model of avatones?

thanks
I just went for the mixcubes, or you could just get Karloff's set ! LOL!

By the way Karloff, thanks for introducing me to them other monitors.. I'm broke as it is!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just went for the mixcubes, or you could just get Karloff's set ! LOL!

By the way Karloff, thanks for introducing me to them other monitors.. I'm broke as it is!
If you get PSI's you'll be broke and happy.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I am completely loving my D5s, OMG! A world of difference. I went back and redid some song mixes and compared them in other stereos and IPhones and the mixes sound a world apart from what I was doing.

Oh and I use the D5s and 1 Avantone that I bought a few months ago and now I feel like I have a much better well rounded mix.

If anyone wants to get the best bang for their buck, get these. You will not be disappointed, and if you are you have 3 months to send them back free of charge. Wow, wow, wow.
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by npinero1 ➡️
I am completely loving my D5s, OMG! A world of difference. I went back and redid some song mixes and compared them in other stereos and IPhones and the mixes sound a world apart from what I was doing.

Oh and I use the D5s and 1 Avantone that I bought a few months ago and now I feel like I have a much better well rounded mix.

If anyone wants to get the best bang for their buck, get these. You will not be disappointed, and if you are you have 3 months to send them back free of charge. Wow, wow, wow.
I know, I really am stunned at them.. From my previous post's on GS, I'm usually the first one to slagg off something I don't like .. Now I had them for a couple of months, they aren't going anywhere.
📝 Reply