Lo-Fi Gear for Sample Processing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lo-Fi Gear for Sample Processing
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Lo-Fi Gear for Sample Processing

I'm looking to do a record that combines very high quality vocals with a bunch of samples from my Emulator II and Emax II. I guess you could relate the concept to Depeche Mode or early Pet Shop Boys, though I'm certainly not going after their sound. (I'll be doing a lot more room miking and sampling of acoustic instruments. I just really love the grit of the converters in these samplers!)

I've got the hi-fi vocal stuff mostly covered, but now I'm looking to find the gear I'll need for making really interesting, gritty samples. Obviously, these old samplers will do a lot of the job for me, but I'm looking to get some highly vibey compressors, preamps, gates, EQs, et cetera to process the samples with. Price is not really a concern, but I figure I can achieve an extremely vibey sound without breaking the bank. Any recommendations are well-appreciated.
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
To be honest, the Emax II and Emulator II are lo-fi enough for the task. Just don't limit the sh%t out of the song and you should stay in the ball park. What would have more impact than EQ's and compressors are older multi-efx. (Verbs, delays, etc) Those have been discussed to death here. Info should be easy to find. Also vibey and lo-fi are two different concepts. There is gear that is lo-fi, but not that vibey. Vibey, but not really lo-fi. The ones that hit both, are often (not always) not that cheap.
Old 10th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➡️
What would have more impact than EQ's and compressors are older multi-efx. (Verbs, delays, etc)
I have some rather old reverbs I'm using: the AMS RMX 16 and the Klark-Teknik DN-780. I suppose those would fit that bill. Hmm, maybe an old Harmonizer would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➡️
vibey and lo-fi are two different concepts. There is gear that is lo-fi, but not that vibey. Vibey, but not really lo-fi. The ones that hit both, are often (not always) not that cheap.
That's an interesting thought. I guess the true adjective I'm looking for is "gritty." What immediately comes to mind is Empirical Labs and Drawmer...
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
+1 on 80s/90s verbs and multiFX units. they're affordable, many were targeted at guitarists for use in FX loops on amps, and for this reason often go overlooked, oh and they look great in the rack.

guitar effects pedals can be had cheap, but some don't sound good on line level sources, for impedance reasons (i'm told), so that's hit or miss, but when you find a hit, they're out of the park for lo-fi effects.

scour ebay, pawnshops, music stores with used sections, for stuff nobody else wants, make an offer, and take a chance. use things for purposes they weren't meant for. home stereo gear, broadcast equipment, whatever you can try for cheap, and come up with your own unique sound.
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Check out old home reel-to-reel tape machines. Many have tape speed selectors for 7.5 ips, 3.75 ips, etc. that give you a different sound at each speed. Lower speed gives you a gritter, more lo fi sound. You can obviously overdrive the inputs for varying level of distortion and grit. I got an old Sony machine at a church sale for $2, and it even does reggae-style tape delay if you set it up right.
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Kla4k isnt gritty or lo-fi.
Try Boss or Ensoniq

Also try a Pro Vla 2 more than 4 db gain reduction. Vibey
📝 Reply