Quantcast
Fender Bassman 20: What is it and is it worth refurbishing? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fender Bassman 20: What is it and is it worth refurbishing?
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Fender Bassman 20: What is it and is it worth refurbishing?

The other day while in a pawn shop, I found this fender bassman 20 in less than good condition. The 15" speaker had spider bites, the red plug was fraying from the cord and the original orange fender tubes may need to be swapped for a fresh set. I bought it with the hopes of turning it into a small tube bass head. Looking into this amp further, it would appear they're kinda rare, and I'm left with the pleasant dilemma of chopping it into a bass head or restoring it due to the low production numbers, what do you think....
Attached Thumbnails
Fender Bassman 20: What is it and is it worth refurbishing?-dsc_0375.jpg   Fender Bassman 20: What is it and is it worth refurbishing?-dsc_0378.jpg   Fender Bassman 20: What is it and is it worth refurbishing?-dsc_0381.jpg   Fender Bassman 20: What is it and is it worth refurbishing?-dsc_0382.jpg   Fender Bassman 20: What is it and is it worth refurbishing?-dsc_0383.jpg  

Fender Bassman 20: What is it and is it worth refurbishing?-dsc_0387.jpg   Fender Bassman 20: What is it and is it worth refurbishing?-dsc_0385.jpg   Fender Bassman 20: What is it and is it worth refurbishing?-dsc_0377.jpg  
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I don't think this particular model has exceptional resale value even in great shape, despite its rarity (which I'm not sure how rare it really is, I've seen a few for sale myself)...so my instinct says to split the head and the cabinet if that is how it must be configured to operate best for your rig.

However I would venture to say that in order to use it as a bass head, you'd need a separate power amp to get any kind of clean volume out of this. Bassman are probably more known for their qualities as guitar amps than bass amps, and I do like an old Bassman...but even my 50 watt Bassman isn't exactly clean on bass.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I've never played that particular amp, but it looks like you've got a Princeton in a bigger cab. You could easily make an adapter for a 12" speaker and have a pretty good guitar amp--not a Super Champ, but it looks like it's from the same period.
Old 26th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Power Amp Recommendations

Would you recommend a power amp or a replacement 15" speaker that'd be better suited to bass guitar/organ?
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XandrosMilosz โžก๏ธ
Would you recommend a power amp or a replacement 15" speaker that'd be better suited to bass guitar/organ?
What do you want out of it? If you want to make it an interesting guitar amp, I'd drop a nice 15" guitar speaker in there like a Jensen C15N. That would be the cheapest way to get a good sounding guitar amp. But before I did that, I'd try it out as is, and see how I liked it. Who know? You may like the current speaker.

If you're wanting a bass amp for recording, I'd do the same. But maybe get a different 15" speaker; something made more for bass guitar.

If you're wanting a bass amp for live performances, I'd get something else entirely. I have a vintage 20 watt Ampeg with a 15" speaker and while it sounds amazing, it can't keep up with a rock drummer unless he/she's playing with brushes. I'd look for 200 watts minimum out of a bass head that you intend to perform with live. I don't think it'd be worth buying a power amp to work with that amp as a preamp. You'd be better off just buying a whole new amp.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about restoring it. I doubt it will ever really appreciate in value like many of the other, more sought after, Fender amps.
Old 15th October 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Speaker

Hey dude I actually have an original speaker for this amp. I converted one to a head about 6 weeks ago and the speaker is still sitting on my self, if you want it , it's yours for the price of postage...
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…