100hz high pass filter - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
100hz high pass filter
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
100hz high pass filter

hi guys,

I'm able to set 100hz low cut (high pass filter) for every input of my roland interface. some bird told me it is recommended for extreme metal music to switch them all on.

what do you guys think ?

in which instance do I need those <=100hz signal ?
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
extreme metal music really calls for a more brutal and totally, wicked extreme filter.
try a 101hz setting.
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
High passing all your inputs by 100hz will basically cut alot of low end, any kind of deep bassy sounds, it makes sense to do it for metal, as low frequencies can muddy up sounds quite alot and overpower the mid and high end. The mid and high end is where you get alot of the guitar sound from, so with most of the bass cut, not muddying the mix, then the guitars will stand out more and scream a little more.

It depends what you're recording, I would put a high pass filter on any guitar tracks, you may not wanna cut your drums too much if you wanna keep some low end into your track and make it thump a bit more. Just play around with it, high pass/low pass filtering can work wonders on your mix, just see what sounds best to you.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
thanks all guys !
very convenient feature to have on the roland. Never used em before, I shall now.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Apologies if the following seems harsh, but I think you should reconsider some of the advice you've been given.

The only reason you should use the HP filter on your interface is if you are completely sure you won't be needing those frequencies on the recorded tracks. If you record with the Roland's HP filters engaged, frequencies below 100 Hz will simply not be recorded*, and that's something you might come to regret later on.

If you want to use HP filters on your tracks, you can always do it post facto in your DAW.

Don't limit your options beforehand, unless you know exactly what you're doing. Which I'm assuming you don't, since you ask.

* There's a gradual cutoff, so technically some of the frequencies will be present, but we don't need to go into that.
Old 25th September 2012
Deleted 04d60e1
Unless the frequencies below 100hz were getting in the way of the recording, I probably wouldnt use the filter. Kick, bass, toms, its obvious theres a lot in the low end you dont want to be getting rid of. Guitar and overheads, people usually roll off a lot from those, but I find theres a lot of good stuff right around 100hz that I would want to keep and use.

Doesnt take long to record a few seconds and play it back, so might as well just compare the filter being on and off on different sources and see which sounds the best.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 04d60e1 ➑️
Might as well just compare the filter being on and off on different sources and see which sounds the best.
Something sounding better soloed doesn't mean it'll sound better in the mix, per se.

If you don't have a lot of experience, leave EQ, gating and compression decisions for the mixing stage.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
very true. thanks guys , i'll be careful with Kick, bass, toms. I better leave the roland to neutral then
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…