Quantcast
Apogee one internal mic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee one internal mic
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Apogee one internal mic

Alright so I think I've finally made the choice to get a mic to start off my hip hop career. I have heard extremely great things about the apogee one. Considering I don't have a pre amp or a mic I figured there is no better alternative for the price. I have listened to the videos of the internal mic and read that it is surprisingly good. The only thing I'm worried about is the plosives. I'm going to be rapping into it and was wondering if anyone has used it for this. Will I need a pop filter? Will a pop filter even work on this?

Please specify whether or not you have actually used this mic. I don't need anecdotal bs at this point in the buying process.

Thanks guys!
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Help. Please?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A standard stand-mounted pop filter will work for sure.

Now, ignore the following BS if you consider it "anecdotal":

For the same money I'd buy something like this:

Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2x2 USB Recording Audio Interface at AMS

...and a mic like this:

Shure SM58 Dynamic Vocal Microphone at AMS

...or maybe this:

CAD M179 Condenser Microphone at AMS

An industry standard like the SM58 will probably be way more forgiving and sound better than what seems like a gimmick of a mic that probably costs like 50 cents. It will also let you actually take it with you on stage instead of using the house mics that 200 other guys made out with before you. At the very least having a "real" mic frees you from the USB cable to allow you to find the sweet spot in your room and for your voice (a major part of the whole "capturing sound" thing BTW).

Think about it; the Apogee One is apparently "the ultimate portable recording solution for quickly capturing musical ideas..." and sounds "surprisingly good". Now that just screams pro results for the launch of a career, doesn't it? How does that sound when compared to "designed for professional vocal use in sound reinforcement and studio recording" and "legendary tone that has become a world standard"?

I'm not one to jump on any bandwagon and buy what everyone else buys just because everyone's got one and I want one too. I would simply not be doing you a service by not mentioning this stuff. If you want to buy a mic, buy a mic, which ever one sounds best and works best for you. If you want to buy an all-in-one compromise, then do that.

Your cash. Your "career". Your call.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Wow, I really appreciate the response. As I've heard Shure mics are pretty much the industry standard, I wonder if a 99 dollar mic can produce sound that doesn't make me sound like a second rate college rapper like everyone else provided I eq compress etc correctly. Also, people keep saying you can't top apogee for an audio interface. How do I know the one you suggested compares? I like the advice and am interested in hearing more of why you think these are better alternatives besides being able to bring it on stage and chord length, which were very good points.

Say I do go with the combination you recommended. Won't quality/good cables run me a bunch more? What cables would I need?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bono from U2 uses SM58s for most of his vocal sounds on his records.
If it sounds bad it ain't the mic.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For what you're trying to do I am confident in saying that the quality of the digital conversion is not going to be that noticeable. A bigger difference in sound quality can be heard with a better mic, a better room, better mic technique, more judicious placement of the mic and mixing skills.

Also, at this point, any functioning mic cable will work well enough not to matter, again, within the context of your goal and your budget.

And as to your point about the $99 mic, remember that the Apogee One's $250 price tag is for a recording interface that happens to have a mic built into it. It's not a $250 mic.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ok, does the mic and the interface you recommended come with all the necessary cables? I was just reading and someone was saying how ****ty cables can make a bad mic sound like **** and a cheap mic can sound great with good cables. So its causing me to make more decisions, but I really just wanna buy it and get recording already. I've been at a stand still because of this.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey, Chrisc o. Have you ever used the mic in a One extensively?
I have, and it works well.
I've used it on drums, guitar, and gathering samples.
I've also compared it's built-in pre to some external preamps and, while the external ones were clearly better, the One held its own. Definitely an improvement over the MOTU pres I used to use all the time.
That's all to say that the OP may be best served getting a One and using the internal mic for a while until he can afford another mic. Then they have 2 good mic options and a decent pre to boot.
That all being said, the One has been out for a while, so if you're going to get one, either buy it used or wait a bit to see if they release an updated version as they did with the Duet.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
So....
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
So I simply want to record pretty good vocals around this price range. I have a MacBook and all the software I need. What hardware do I need to buy to get an sm58 to record into logic pro? Help is much needed! Really wanna get started today.

Thanks
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Another vote for the mackie blackjack, that is the audio interface I'm using. It does the job, good price point, and on osx its plug and play. I use a Heil PR31BW for recording alto sax though.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Hi. I have the Apogee One and like it a lot. The internal mic is a very good overall mic. Its not very directional and picks up a lot of room reflections. It likes top end and has a wooly and rather uneventful bass/mid. All in all. Not ideal for urban contemporary.

If u decide to get it, u could always upgrade with a proper mic later. Cuz its a nice starter preamp/interface and ud have the option of a different breed of mic if u ever need it

Regards /Bo
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Actually now I think about it get the One.
You need to buy an interface anyway, so you can use the internal mix whilst you save up for the sm58, which will sound great through the Apogee.

I would be weary of using the internal mic as a main mic unless you have an amazing sounding room but it's better than nothing, and it's the best sounding interface in its range (preamps and conversion)

For what it's worth I prefer the new Beyer TG 50D to the SM58, and they cost the same here in the UK.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Chrisc o clearly hasn't used a Apogee One .. I think it is perfect for the op. The internal mic is very usable the pre and conversion are better than the price would suggest I had one I kept in my backpack and it got a lot of work as my portable rig (it was replaced with a Babyface and blueberry mic) but I have no complaints what so ever with the ONE
OP in the one you get a mic a pre and a interface.. when you outgrow the mic you still have a pre and a interface if you outgrow the pre it's still and interface (if you buy one used and outgrow it all together well you should be able to sell if for around what you got it for. Perfect first purchase if you ask me ..FYI one of my friends learning to make music has my old one and is using it how you would and is happy as can be ..
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danerius ➑️
Hi. I have the Apogee One and like it a lot. The internal mic is a very good overall mic. Its not very directional and picks up a lot of room reflections. It likes top end and has a wooly and rather uneventful bass/mid. All in all. Not ideal for urban contemporary.

If u decide to get it, u could always upgrade with a proper mic later. Cuz its a nice starter preamp/interface and ud have the option of a different breed of mic if u ever need it

Regards /Bo
I agree, I have had my ONE for quite some time and couldn't be happier. If you decide to use the internal mic, make sure you record in a fairly quiet and non reflective room, since the mic isn't very directional.

Plus, you will have a great interface for playback as well.
πŸ“ Reply