Quantcast
upgrading my interface help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
upgrading my interface help
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
upgrading my interface help

hello peeps i have an 18i6 focusrite scarlett. i want to upgrade but i have a few limitations. firstly i can only use usb for now as i have only got a laptop. the other limitation is that i want to not spend that much money. the main reason for the upgrade is more mic pres. i need about 6 to 8. i found this ou too late after i like to mic up guitar cabinets with 3 mics. which i cant do atm.
so bottom line is reccomend something thats

1. usb
2. less than £500
3. has 6 to 8 mic pres
4. adat/midi/ phantom power
5.good quality converters.

currently im looking at this
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...Tur-BNCVwYqROA

so suggestions?
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
For less than £500, I think your best option in terms of quality would be to buy a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (as far as I know Saffire is a step up from Scarlett) and get yourself a Firewire Express Card for your laptop. (Assuming it has this slot)

Saffire Pro 40 - £400

The Belkin Firewire Express card is around £30. I think the Focusrite unit will give you better quality than the Presonus one.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidmusician ➡️
For less than £500, I think your best option in terms of quality would be to buy a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (as far as I know Saffire is a step up from Scarlett) and get yourself a Firewire Express Card for your laptop. (Assuming it has this slot)

Saffire Pro 40 - £400

The Belkin Firewire Express card is around £30. I think the Focusrite unit will give you better quality than the Presonus one.
doesnt have a slot :( lets narrow it down from 4 to 8 pres
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The Apogee Quartet is a new 4 in, 8 out USB interface of incredible quality. You'd need to wait as I don't think it has been released yet but this unit will be high-end. I would expect it to be a little over £500 though.

I would recommend the RME interfaces too but as far as I know they are all firewire!

What a headache... If you could wait a month or two and save up another one or two hundred pounds you would not be disappointed with the Apogee.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The Apogee Quartet is a new 4 in, 8 out USB interface of incredible quality. You'd need to wait as I don't think it has been released yet but this unit will be high-end. I would expect it to be a little over £500 though.

I would recommend the RME interfaces too but as far as I know they are all firewire!

What a headache... If you could wait a month or two and save up another one or two hundred pounds you would not be disappointed with the Apogee.
now you get my problem is there anything against the presonus? i heard that apogee have a coloured pre according to a professional freind of mine coz he swears by rme.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
No disrespect to your friend - we all have different opinions on subjective matters such as sound - but Apogee preamps are some of the least coloured I know of. Give this video a watch:

Apogee Symphony I/O - Recording Jazz with new Mic Preamp module

The Duet 2 and Quartet will both use preamps derived from the Symphony Pre module. They are incredibly clean, digitally controlled preamps. That's why Bob Clearmountain chose them over the (coloured) pres on his Neve console.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No disrespect to your friend - we all have different opinions on subjective matters such as sound - but Apogee preamps are some of the least coloured I know of. Give this video a watch:

The Duet 2 and Quartet will both use preamps derived from the Symphony Pre module. They are incredibly clean, digitally controlled preamps. That's why Bob Clearmountain chose them over the (coloured) pres on his Neve console.
would they be better pres than my focusrite atm?
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
They will be a major step up in quality than the built-in pres in your Scarlett, yes.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

RME Babyface Vrs Apogee Duet II - The Pro's & Cons of both and how they SOUND! Part 3 - YouTube this is my freind is apogee just mac compatible? i dont have a mac
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
For some reason I'm unable to view the link/video you posted...
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
refresh
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
That's fair enough. They are both high quality, but for me, I would take an Apogee product over RME every time. BTW, i forgot to mention, if you're on a PC you might as well forget about Apogee because they're Mac only...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's fair enough. They are both high quality, but for me, I would take an Apogee product over RME every time. BTW, i forgot to mention, if you're on a PC you might as well forget about Apogee because they're Mac only...
another other suggestions? the best i can see is the presonus. either that or i just get an octepre but there expensive. for what they are
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I suppose you are limited by the USB only requirement so maybe the Presonus is the best option. Make some inquiries and see if you can try it before you commit to it, that way you'll be sure you're happy. Good luck!
📝 Reply