Cheaper Shure Beta 91 Alternative? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cheaper Shure Beta 91 Alternative?
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Cheaper Shure Beta 91 Alternative?

Howdy Slutz!

So I just wrapped a session where I used the Beta 91 inside the kick and I absolutely loved the fat slap that mic picks up. I was hoping to purchase a cheaper alternative to use for myself. I haven't been able to find a thread related to an inexpensive 91 replacement.

And please no "Use an SM57 on the kick!" garbage. I get it, they're great mics, but I'm looking for a condenser that sounds good on kick and will pick up lots of attack, not a 57.

Gracias!
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
really any decent mic is going to put you in the cost range of the 91. why not try to find one used. or use any old crap mic and sample in the sound your looking for
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I totally understand that a decent mic will be around $200 (i.e. Beta 52, D112, D6). I was just wondering if anyone knew of a cheaper (possibly Chinese) knockoff of the 91. I haven't been able to find one and I would be surprised if some company hadn't entered that market yet.
Old 14th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by berge92 ➑️
I totally understand that a decent mic will be around $200 (i.e. Beta 52, D112, D6). I was just wondering if anyone knew of a cheaper (possibly Chinese) knockoff of the 91. I haven't been able to find one and I would be surprised if some company hadn't entered that market yet.
i just bought a used (but looks brand new) beta91 for $100!
Old 14th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Has it really come to this? People want a chinese knockoff of a mic that can be found for $125 used. Maybe try using a 57 on kick.
Old 14th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The beta 91 is an excellent mic. Buy it. It's cheap.

You may be able to find an older sm91 that uses the mini xlr connection. It's not quite the same mic but it will yield similar results.
Old 28th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Shure use to make the sm91 which has the same body but different capsule. Many people including myself perfer the sm91 to the beta. Shure also made the sm90 and 819. Those mics use the exact same cartridge but have a different preamp design. I have used the 819 many times and lobed it as much as the sm91. 819's usually go for about 45.00 on ebay
πŸ“ Reply