Pro Tools help? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools help?
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Pro Tools help?

Hello,

I'm currently an audio production student studying in Australia. I've been using Sonar for my projects all throughout my audio life though being in class, it has all been Macs and Pro Tools.

I was wondering, what are the cheaper alternatives to learn Pro Tools as most of my assignments or tests are based on it, also the fact that its industry standard? Also, I've read that you'd have to run Pro Tools through their Mbox interface. Would it be possible if I ran it through my Focusrite 8i6 and Windows 7?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Sure!
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Well, the cheapest way to learn it is to buy a student copy and just start using it. The most expensive way is to go get an Avid certification it it.

Pro Tools 9 and 10 will accept third-party interfaces, though require an iLok. Basically, PT8 and older need an MBox. It's difficult to find legal copies of PT 9 now, so you'd probably be learning on 10. In which case, so long as your PC is Avid qualified, you can run it and use your own interface.

It's the industry standard because that's just kind of what every studio has agreed on. It has a decent workflow, and allows you to get pretty complex with your editing if you want. Though each DAW has it's own features.

Honestly, if I could leverage the power and workflow of a PT HD system and add in all of the nifty features of Cubase, I'd be a happy man. But rather than working with other software companies on making a better audio program, Avid has been trying to throw video into the mix. Waste of time and resources if you ask me. Those dudes need to cater to their user base more rather than trying to expand it.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Cheers for that man, anyway, I checked out Avid's website to see if I could purchase the student version of PT but it's either upgrade or crossgrade.

Avid | Pro Tools 10 Academic Student Upgrade/Crossgrade

This means that I'd have to get Pro Tools LE/ Pro Tools MP/ PT 9, then get this academic upgrade version or have I got it all wrong?
Old 23rd September 2012

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Google found me this:

Music EDnet - Academic Shopping

Where in Aus are you?
๐Ÿ“ Reply