Tascam DM-4800 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tascam DM-4800
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Tascam DM-4800

Hello guys,

I hate to sound or post a redundant post/topic, but I'm just not satisfied with the my searches and thought I'd post a thread.

I know the DM-4800 is a few years old. I've wanted it since it came out, and NOW finally have the resources to get one. The problem that I'm having is not being able to find ANY videos on this thing barely longer than 2 mins (most less than 60 seconds) and most videos that are out, people believe viewers only concern is to see the automation dance. It's sad.

I can barely find any literature on this thing anywhere (other then manuals on the Tascam site), reviews, DVD's, even the owners seem non-existent. The few post I can find here and other forums are old from 2007-08, and people talk about how difficult it is to use.

Overall, I want one (I think), just curious if this thing is still good, relevant, has any major issues etc. I'm curious if any one of you own one, used one extensively, and don't mind telling me personally your thoughts, experience, as of date.

Thank you!

PS: Any board I get would be an upgrade from what I'm using. (2 Behringer MX-9000)
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cion ➑️
Hello guys,

I hate to sound or post a redundant post/topic, but I'm just not satisfied with the my searches and thought I'd post a thread.

I know the DM-4800 is a few years old. I've wanted it since it came out, and NOW finally have the resources to get one. The problem that I'm having is not being able to find ANY videos on this thing barely longer than 2 mins (most less than 60 seconds) and most videos that are out, people believe viewers only concern is to see the automation dance. It's sad.

I can barely find any literature on this thing anywhere (other then manuals on the Tascam site), reviews, DVD's, even the owners seem non-existent. The few post I can find here and other forums are old from 2007-08, and people talk about how difficult it is to use.

Overall, I want one (I think), just curious if this thing is still good, relevant, has any major issues etc. I'm curious if any one of you own one, used one extensively, and don't mind telling me personally your thoughts, experience, as of date.

Thank you!

PS: Any board I get would be an upgrade from what I'm using. (2 Behringer MX-9000)
you really think that fancy digital board will come sonically close to those Mx 9000s? those boards are killer the best behringer made i regret selling mine,
the only real difference you might hear is in the pre amps which i would upgrade before trading in those mx9ks, The Tascam is all show bells and whistles attractive a controller but as for PURE tone goes forget it your better
off summing in the box with a hand full of ua plug ins
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetloc ➑️
you really think that fancy digital board will come sonically close to those Mx 9000s? those boards are killer the best behringer made i regret selling mine,
the only real difference you might hear is in the pre amps which i would upgrade before trading in those mx9ks, The Tascam is all show bells and whistles attractive a controller but as for PURE tone goes forget it your better
off summing in the box with a hand full of ua plug ins
Wow, I thought you were being sarcastic for a minute, but you really think the MX's are good? I mean, honestly, I love them, have for MANY years, but they have such a bad rep. Also, I just figured it was time to get something up to date where I can actually save my mixes without putting everything on studio recording notes. However I don't like mixing in the box, never have, this is why I thought I'd get a digital mixer where I can do both (mix in and out) AND save my mixes.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just figured it was time to get something up to date where I can actually save my mixes without putting everything on studio recording notes. However I don't like mixing in the box, never have, this is why I thought I'd get a digital mixer where I can do both (mix in and out) AND save my mixes.
What is it that you dislike about mixing in the box? Is it how it feels or how it sounds?

If it's how it feels you could save some cash (maybe) and invest in a controller instead of a digital mixer.

And if it's about how it sounds then I wouldn't count on a digital mixer sounding any better than a digital daw mixer.

Just something to consider.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use a DM-3200 and love it. I don't think it's hard to use at all after you figure out how the thing works. The best thing about it, I think, is the integrated Firewire audio interface if you add the expansion card.

I make electronic music and don't use the mic pres on it. I would say its sonic character is neutral for the most part, at least to me.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
What are you recording typically? Full bands?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➑️
What is it that you dislike about mixing in the box? Is it how it feels or how it sounds?

If it's how it feels you could save some cash (maybe) and invest in a controller instead of a digital mixer.

And if it's about how it sounds then I wouldn't count on a digital mixer sounding any better than a digital daw mixer.

Just something to consider.
Actually it's both! I've NEVER liked that digital CLEAR CUT sound, however, it's required for some music. It seems that analog/gritty sound that I love has been gone for years. Either way, I'm a hardware guy. So the way I see it is if I got the DM-4800 I can still use my outboard gear such as my Avalon 737, and even looping things through a HD24 or ADAT before the box to get the best of both worlds analog and digital. Though I'm a hardware guy who loves physically tuning knobs, to not have to bother with patch bays and wires, easy routing sounds fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface ➑️
What are you recording typically? Full bands?
Mostly hip-hop and R&B. I'm not recording many live instruments. Typically, a bass, guitar, maybe a horn.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Actually it's both! I've NEVER liked that digital CLEAR CUT sound, however, it's required for some music. It seems that analog/gritty sound that I love has been gone for years. Either way, I'm a hardware guy. So the way I see it is if I got the DM-4800 I can still use my outboard gear such as my Avalon 737, and even looping things through a HD24 or ADAT before the box to get the best of both worlds analog and digital. Though I'm a hardware guy who loves physically tuning knobs, to not have to bother with patch bays and wires, easy routing sounds fantastic!
Perhaps you could consider a control surface then, like the Avid (Euphonix) Mix (or whatever fits your daw). And then route your outboard i/o of your adac to still use it. And you could of course add a summing mixer if you want the sound it gives.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow, I thought you were being sarcastic for a minute, but you really think the MX's are good? I mean, honestly, I love them, have for MANY years, but they have such a bad rep. Also, I just figured it was time to get something up to date where I can actually save my mixes without putting everything on studio recording notes. However I don't like mixing in the box, never have, this is why I thought I'd get a digital mixer where I can do both (mix in and out) AND save my mixes.
i wish i was kidding around but i am not, those boards sound better than any daw i have ever had, if you go tascam sell me one of your 9ks ill put it to good use. behringer has made crap products in the past but they got it right with 9ks
and i think they hit a home run with the new Behringer X32 digital mixer which is all midas , you should look at that before the tascam unit it has newer technology and is a lil bit cheaper
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetloc ➑️
i wish i was kidding around but i am not, those boards sound better than any daw i have ever had, if you go tascam sell me one of your 9ks ill put it to good use. behringer has made crap products in the past but they got it right with 9ks
and i think they hit a home run with the new Behringer X32 digital mixer which is all midas , you should look at that before the tascam unit it has newer technology and is a lil bit cheaper
Thanks brother! I seen the X32 but didn't look into it. I guess I wanted to get away from Behringer all together because of its reputation. I'm going to compare the X32 to the DM and see what's what.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I love the control surface aspect of them, yes the preamps are clean, but if i want color i use outboard gear. It works for me. I had the dm24 then i upgraded to the 4800,

I think the real thing is clean verses analog color, with the dm4800 and a few choice outboard pieces you can have the best of both worlds.

But you have to decide what you are trying to accomplish
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum ➑️
I love the control surface aspect of them, yes the preamps are clean, but if i want color i use outboard gear. It works for me. I had the dm24 then i upgraded to the 4800,

I think the real thing is clean verses analog color, with the dm4800 and a few choice outboard pieces you can have the best of both worlds.

But you have to decide what you are trying to accomplish
Thanks, that's how I look at it. I was looking at the Behringer X32 all night, and it seems that board is a live/PA mixer, and doesn't control DAW. I want the best of both worlds. I don't mind buying outboard gear to add to a digital mixer, I just have to choose one. I like that the X32 doesn't have the complexity of th DM-4800, menu wise. I'm not a noob dealing with digital menus, but would like to know from someone first hand is it extra difficult?

I mean, beyond the average menu of a drum machine, or work station? I do know it's more intricate than those being it's a mixer and has routing and patch bays, but is it hair pulling?
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was looking at the Behringer X32 all night, and it seems that board is a live/PA mixer, and doesn't control DAW. I want the best of both worlds.
It also has a remote layer (DAW control). Here's a quick video showing how to get it working in Logic as an example:

Old 27th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ok, I was looking at boards, What If I was to stay analog and try a PA/live mixer, how do you think the recording will sound? I was looking at this Allen and Heath GL2800. What do you guys think?

Did any of you guys hear about the DM-4800 being discontinued?... It's no longer available on SEVERAL music equipment sites ex: American Music Supply.

I called AMS and they said they will no longer carry it because it's discontinued.
Old 14th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Great, just got mine, now its discontined, wonderful
Old 17th December 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum ➑️
Great, just got mine, now its discontined, wonderful
Sorry for you :(
Thinking buying one... I need a big console. Is it still a good idea?
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a DM-4800.

I've never used the preamps, but the DA/AD is perfectly useable. I don't like the compression, never mixed anything through it. Just using it as a glorified monitor controller and as something that's a bit showy for clients. I sometimes use it to control PT through HUI, but that's too limited for me to depend on it for my workflow.

I inherited it when I took over the studio I'm working at now. Personally I prefer the speed and recall of mixing ITB, so I'm actually looking at replacing my DM4800 with a C24 or maybe a bunch of Artist Mix and a Presonus Central Station Plus.

It's a perfectly fine console if it's feature set match what you need, but for me it doesn't.

Just be a bit careful with the carbon-contact buttons, our talkback button is getting cantankerous now the DM4800 is 5 years old and sometimes the monitor switch doesn't make good contact so you'll occasionally have weird things like the whole mix will swing to the right(!) but a good service will sort it out. (But good luck getting a good service where I am in the world).
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I asked tech support at TASCAM about the DM 4800 being replaced, they did not know anything about it. Still have not seen anything on the web either.
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Both the 3200 and 4800 are listed as current on their website *shrug*
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I was told it all started with a dealer accidentally saying the 4800 was discontinued and that is it not.

As for how hard is it to use? there is a leaning curve but I really just kind of set it up and now I just use it. its not like you have to tinker all day unless you really want to.

I got a lot of help here and from TASCAM tech support.
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Ya dm series is not going anywhere any time soon. And for anyone who is saying its not worth it is totally full of it, You see 4800's everywhere! And there is a reason, the on board pre's are usable and mixed with a couple outboard gear you can get some extremely nice mixes. Plus the routing options, daw control, ect..
Dm series is a no brainer, my favorite piece of my studio by far.

And I wouldnt say you could just set this thing up ready to record in a day. I have used multiple mixers before but this was actually kind of a pain in my ass for about a week getting everything 100%
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I may be biased, but I wouldn't buy a digital mixer now unless you really needed all those inputs and were recording live bands. Especially a Tascam.

I bought a TM-D4000, one of their early digital mixers. It was great, except it wasn't ever finished and was abandoned. I didn't buy a DM24 but those had problems too that required sending them back to the mfgr (trim controls with narrow usable range). Now how much do those go for?

Most digital mixers are going to lose their value quickly and eventually have very little value. The TM-D4000 I eventually sold for about $400. It was over $4k new.

If I were you I'd look at one of the Allen & Heath boards like the ZED r-16 that will still have value down the road. Just MHO. Yes, I'm a little jaded.
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I agree, the first time you have to set it up it can be a bit of a challenge but once your done, your done unless you want to change the configuration.

I actually and just now move from Cubase t pro tools. I have a Cubase config and a pro tools config, very easy to switch between the two.

I have a small handful of outboard pres and compressors, routing the into the assignable aux returns.

I am not a pro, I am a serious hobbyist,I would love a vintage analog desk but just cant justify or afford it. Not to say I wouldn't love it ;-)

I am sure for the foreseeable future at the price point this will meet and even exceed my requirements.
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thats high tech, you are right, a classic analog board will hold it's value better. But I also wanted a control surface.

I actually owned a DM 24. It was limited but I used it for about 8 years. I paid 1000.00 for it used and sold it 8 years later for 500.00, no regrets.
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the DM-3200. I really like it. I have had a few other digital mixers (TM-D1000 and a Ramsa DA-7) and I don't find the 3200 all that confusing.

I like everything about it. The only thing I don't like is that there are only 4 sends, but since I use PTHD I have a 192 set up to handle that.
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The DM4800-3200 rocks!

We patch in our entire outboard rack and can seamlessly patch 24 channels of anything in our rack via the analog cards with 0 latency. Sound fun? It is!

Transparent amps sufficient EQ and the greatest and most flexible routing I have ever seem.

Yeah, I like it.. I even reviewed it here on GS..
Old 1st May 2013
ps3
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Tascam DM-4800

Yes, We own 2 of these consoles and we would definitely say that this is the best thing going for less than $10k. We use it for live and recording and we find that it is very clean and has all of the routing and effects we need to get the job down. It's amazing ability to effectively interface with our DAW (Cubase), and other outboard gear is also awesome! Especially because we have both old and new equipment. This unit gives us the analogue feel with all of the benefits of being digital. I don't think there is anything else on the market that gives you the bang for the buck the DM-4800 gives you. I would like to see a wifi card made available for it like the Presonus but the DM 4800 control deck is awesomely flexible and works in pretty much any studio or live setup requiring 24 or less analogue inputs.
πŸ“ Reply