Old 20th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Motu traveler mk1 vs RME Fireface 400

Hey Guys,

I need your help in choosing between two soundcards:

1)motu traveler mk1
2)rme fireface 400

Even though i know that the RME is the consensus around the world, i need your objective opinion so i can choose the currect device for my needs and equipment.

my equipment

adam anf 10
rode k2
pc - i7 ,8GB ram win 7 32bit

I was told, that for someone like me who don't have external preamps the Motu is better ,because of the motu preamps - The preamps are more hot and colorful and the rme is more flat (And that's why the rme is better for someone that have external preamps).

What do you think about this statement?

my needs:
-vocal recording
-Acoustic guitar / electric / classical recording
-mixing
-and Mostly amateur works...

So what do you think is better for me - motu / rme?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Even though i know that the RME is the consensus around the world, i need your objective opinion ..."

so clearly you want someone to tell you to buy the MOTU.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Preamps in the Traveler ain´t that special, a bit too noisy for classical stuff. I believe you are better off looking for newer stuff. Depends on how many inputs you need. Check out RME Babyface.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
"Even though i know that the RME is the consensus around the world, i need your objective opinion ..."

so clearly you want someone to tell you to buy the MOTU.
it's so clearly that my english is not the best...

I apologize but I just wanted to write that I want the recommendation based on the equipment and needs , All that because I was told that in my Situation , it' better to recommendation based on the equipment and dont based on Rumors ( or a Stigma)

tnx
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
RME is much, much, much better than any MOTU you can get. I'm speaking as an engineer here, i know what's inside those boxes and what they can do. No way i can recommend MOTU FW or USB cards to anybody, nowadays even M-Audio is better.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor ➡️
RME is much, much, much better than any MOTU you can get. I'm speaking as an engineer here, i know what's inside those boxes and what they can do. No way i can recommend MOTU FW or USB cards to anybody, nowadays even M-Audio is better.
Much much better I won´t say, the Fireface is better built but soundwise Motu is still adequate. Both are old designs and if I was about to buy a new interface, I would choose neither of them.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by basmartin ➡️
Much much better I won´t say, the Fireface is better built but soundwise Motu is still adequate. Both are old designs and if I was about to buy a new interface, I would choose neither of them.
You are operating inadequate terms - there's no "old" in good circuit design, just remember Urei 1176 )
MOTU is "OK", but no more than it, but RME is "very good". RME has very good clocking, good analog part, MOTU has bad clocking, bad power sypply design, mediocre analog tract - these are facts which no one can argue.
You can improve MOTU to work as good as RME - BLA mods is the answer, but for what price?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You are operating inadequate terms - there's no "old" in good circuit design, just remember Urei 1176 )
MOTU is "OK", but no more than it, but RME is "very good". RME has very good clocking, good analog part, MOTU has bad clocking, bad power sypply design, mediocre analog tract - these are facts which no one can argue.
You can improve MOTU to work as good as RME - BLA mods is the answer, but for what price?
Well, even the 1176 has been updated lots of times. Can't arguee that RME has better specs than Motu. Used both an RME UCX and a Traveler at a session last weekend and it wasn't exactly night and day difference between them soundwise. So still, RME is good stuff and Motu is adequate.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by basmartin ➡️
Well, even the 1176 has been updated lots of times. Can't arguee that RME has better specs than Motu. Used both an RME UCX and a Traveler at a session last weekend and it wasn't exactly night and day difference between them soundwise. So still, RME is good stuff and Motu is adequate.
i'm not talking about specs here, as we all know all published specs are marketing bullcrap. But i definitely cahear a difference between traveller and FF400, and for me it is like late evening and day, not night. ) BTW, MOTU works much better when wordclocked to good clock source.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i'm not talking about specs here, as we all know all published specs are marketing bullcrap. But i definitely cahear a difference between traveller and FF400, and for me it is like late evening and day, not night. ) BTW, MOTU works much better when wordclocked to good clock source.
Ah, sorry, ment components, not specs. Yes, the Motu was clocked to an other device at that session.
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
nms
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
to the OP.. I wouldn't recommend the Traveler MK1 or the FF400 personally. Of the two I'd lean slightly toward the FF400 partly because I'm not big on the traveler series but I don't have enough experience with them to say anything definitive. Based on what I know of the units in question I think if you demoed a TC Impact Twin that would be your choice here. Not because it's better than the FF400, but because I think it's a good fit for your needs and you'd like the sound as much or more for WAY less money.

Quote:
RME has very good clocking, good analog part, MOTU has bad clocking
I guess you're not aware RME and Motu BOTH use Direct Digital Synthesis™ for their clocking?

"The UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid is equipped with Direct Digital Synthesis™ (DDS), a DSP-driven phase lock engine and very high frequency digital clock source that produces imperceptibly low jitter characteristics (well below the overall noise floor), even when the UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid is resolved to an external clock source via either word clock or SMPTE time code. This technology represents the very latest in extremely high-performance, yet cost-effective digital audio clocking. DDS also allows the UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid to maintain an extremely stable clock while resolved to incoming clock sources that have substantially more jitter than the UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid."

Quote:
And you've tested "any Motu you can get"? Speaking as an engineer you would know that good design trumps simply using highly praised op amps or converter chips. I can't comment specifically on the merits of the Traveler as it would be irresponsible to act as if all Motus sound the same let alone Traveler MK1, MK2, MK3.

I've got a challenge for you. I think it'd be a good idea and the responsible thing to do if you're going to hand out such strong advice. Assuming you actually care about not misleading people and not just propagating hearsay & blind brand bias.

Think even M-Audio is better? You should have no problem telling a Motu 828mk2 recording amongst some units that are well above RME then yes? The first test is an 828mk2 amongs Metric Halo LIO8, Prism Orpheus, & Lynx Hilo. The second (more relevant test) is an 828mk2 vs Lavry DA10 & Mytek 192ADC used in a mastering setting. Now surely you could tell such a poor unit apart from these mastering grade converters right? If you can choose both correctly you'll be the first and my hat is off to you. Even one correctly would be impressive though. Up to the challenge?

https://gearspace.com/board/masterin...est-tones.html
Old 3rd October 2012
Deleted 6ccb844
I have a MH ULN-8 and an MOTU 828.. I really don't get the dislike for MOTU.. I have had far worse interfaces..
📝 Reply